Stephen Chav…, Real Estate Pro in 32804

I've been asked by my client to contact an agent who represented the sale of the condo they purchased back in 2013 if we can use their pictures.

Asked by Stephen Chavarie, 32804 Thu Jul 31, 2014

I've been asked by my client to contact an agent who represented the sale of the condo they purchased back in 2013 if we can use the pictures that agent used in the MLS. They have authorized me to offer $100 to purchase the rights. This all feels a little weird. Are there rules or regulations about using old pictures on a new listing? The unit is empty. They want to show what the condo looked like when it was furnished. Is this ethical?

Answers

4
You should be very careful not to misrepresent the property. Problems could result pertaining to rules and regulations that should be adhered to. Check with your Broker and Local Board for rules and regulations. If all else fails, investigate the possibility of professional staging if permitted. Good Luck!
You will want to check with your board and make sure the photos do not misrepresent the condo. I do understand the concern about showing photos of a vacant property. What about staging then new photos?
I would imagine the condo has changed since it was purchased and as such will the pictures be an accurate representation? Also how will the previous owner feel about their furniture being displayed for a condo they no longer own? I'd recommend to the Seller that you take new pictures.
Not entirely ethical. Depending if the unit has changed since 2013, you may be violating article 12 of the code of ethics. Also, there comes the legality on who the pictures belong to. With some real estate boards, when the pictures are used for a MLS listing, they become property of the MLS board, and not the agent who took the pictures. Finally, with some listings, you can look at when it was listed previously in the MLS. Other agents are going to see that you reused pictures from the previous listing and that may reflect badly on you. If it were me, I'd explain this to my clients and just take new pictures.