Home Selling in Dallas>Question Details

jespinoza165…, Home Buyer in

I sold my home in Dallas. The title company comes back and says they made a mistake and forgot to input the HOA resale certificate in the HUD form.

Asked by jespinoza165@gmail.com, Fri Aug 29, 2014

I sold my home in Dallas. The title company comes back and says they made a mistake and forgot to input the HOA resale certificate in the HUD form. Where would this reimbursement be listed on the HUD form had they included it? How do I know they didn't list it within another number in the HUD form? I am hesitant to pay them for something that was not listed after the transaction.

Answers

4
By no means should you have to pay this. Title companies have E and O's for exactly that reason, and the final Settlement Statement is not included in the "Correction Agreement Limited Power of Attorney' form that the previous agent spoke of. Below are the limits of what errors can be fixed.

Correction Agreement
Limited Power of Attorney
On August 12, 2014, the undersigned borrower(s), for and in consideration of the approval, closing and funding
of their loan # **** hereby grant to EVERETT FINANCIAL, INC. D/B/A SUPREME LENDING
as Lender, a Limited Power of Attorney to correct and/or execute any typographical or clerical errors
discovered in any or all of the closing documentation required to be executed by the undersigned at settlement
or during the loan approval process. Such errors include, but are not limited to the following:
• Errors with the borrower's name(s) including, but not limited to, wrong misspelled names;
• Errors with the property address including, but not limited to, wrong or misspelled street, city or town
names, incorrect house numbers and incorrect zip codes;
• Errors in the legal description;
• Errors with the applicable county name including wrong or misspelled county names; and
• Errors related to the date of documents including wrong and incomplete dates.
• Errors with any identifying number including, but not limited to, wrong loan number or case number.
In the event this Limited Power of Attorney is exercised, the undersigned will be notified and receive a copy of
the document(s) executed or initialed on their behalf.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 31, 2014
I know this is late, but the situation ultimately ended up resolving itself as the title company stopped contacting me about their mistake.
Flag Tue Dec 30, 2014
Unfortunately mistakes do occur and on of the many forms you sign when closing on a house is one which states that all parties understand there it may be necessary to correct overlooked errors and that all parties will work to make that correction. This definitely falls into that category.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 7, 2014
Again, all parties enter into a transaction in "good faith". Or they should...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 7, 2014
Dallas title companies are generally very thorough, however, mistakes may occur.

On page two of the settlement statement around line 1303 would most likely reflect transfer fees or other for HOA's. I doubt that any title company would deliberately over charge you, however, you may call your HOA management company to see who paid these fees. If the title company paid these fees then you owe the title company as many times they order these documents on behalf of the sellers. And the HOA should have proof that the title company paid these fees.

At closing you signed a document which said that if the title company makes an error that both parties agree to work with the title company and each other to correct that error. I suspect they accidentally left that fee off of the seller's side of the closing statement.