Home Selling in Lampasas>Question Details

Lajuannajar, Home Buyer in Padre Island, Corpus...

I signed with a realtor 2 months ago and he has not shown my house once.. can i get out of my contract ?

Asked by Lajuannajar, Padre Island, Corpus Christi, TX Tue Jun 11, 2013

Answers

11
Guy Gimenez ABR, CRS, GRI’s answer
Since most buyers are represented by brokers other than the listing broker, it is not uncommon for your broker to not show the home. Buyers will typically call their representative to see any home rather than the listing broker since they realize the listing broker represents you, not them.
Has your home been shown at all? There is a big difference between an agent not showing a listing and a listing not being shown at all. The system is set up in a manner that makes homes available for showing to all agents.

Even though your agent may not be showing the property he/she is likely working behind the scene promoting your home in any number of manners.

It sounds like a "sit down" might be in order. One that clarifies what is and isn't being done on your behalf.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 11, 2013
You are selling your home.... And you do have a listing agreement i.e. a contract with the brokerage of
your listing agent. Read the entire listing agreement, I am sure you have a term that deals with cancellation of listing agreement, there are some rules when to cancel i.e. advance notice, and what you can or cannot do during a certain period of time thereafter.

But I have a suggestion for you 1st) you sit down with your Realtor and discuss in detail the market conditions at the current time, how your pricing of your home fits in, are you low, average or high priced-- what do the comparable homes at this time look like ---- what has sold during those 2 months
astage your home better (moving around furniture, removing some, unclutter etc. etc., paint some walls----- we do not know the house so your Realtor should have some good ideas ---- get new professional photos of the inside and outside of your home, to entice buyers who are looking on the internet to see your home in person.

If you are still not happy with the outcome, see the managing broker at your listing agent's office and
see if he or she has a better solution for you, the managing broker can assign another Realtor from that office, and make or assist in making some changes in how the property is marketed or ....

Hope this helps

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert

Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
And always with a SMILE 
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties Brokerage, 30 Green Bay Road, Winnetka, Illinois 60093
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at htttp://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)

Hope this helps

Sincerely yours,

And always with a SMILE 
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
There are some unanswered questions in your question. Is he sending you homes via email that match your initial criteria? If so, and they're are not any matches for you, is it because the criteria needs to be adjusted to today's market. Have you asked him to show you any properties and he refused? More details would be nice. And, if he is not showing you homes that you wish to see that match your criteria then I would say you would need to speak to him and ask to cancel. If that doesn't work, you speak with his Broker or Manager.

If you like this answer or if it was useful to you, a quick click on the green 'thumbs up' would be appreciated.

Kim Eisen
"Helping People Make Smart Real Estate Decisions since 1980"
(651) 457-HOME (4663)

http://www.QuickHomesSearch.com
Hello Lajuanna,

Typically the agent may not show your home. Once your home is in the MLS all agents (hundreds or thousands of them) show the home to their interested clients. If your questions is based on not having any showings the problem probably lies in the price, condition or both.

Did your agent give you advice on staging the home and decluttering? Did they show you comparable homes that actually sold that were similar to yours? They should also show you homes that did not sell for various reasons. Here in the Austin area homes are selling almost immediately when priced correctly for the market. I'm sure your location is different being a vacation and tourist attracting area.

I would schedule a meeting with your agent and go over the comparable homes so you can see first hand what is selling and what is not. Have a serious discussion of why he or she believes the home is not selling. You should also set a game plan in place so you know what to do and expect if certain things do not happen. You should be receiving updates on showings if there are any and if you are not getting any the reasons are always obvious and the same no matter where the property is located. Price the home correctly and make sure it is in the best condition possible and your home will not only sell but it will sell for the most money possible. Overprice your home and it will just sit there... even now that the market here in Austin has turned into a seller's market this is still the case and always will be.

Hope this helps.

_____________________________________________________
Don Groff | REALTOR® & Mortgage Broker
Austin Real Estate Pros & 360 Lending Group
o 512.669.5599 | m 512.633.4157 | listings@dongroff.com
websites: http://www.AustinListed.com | http://www.360LendingGroup.com
Web Reference: http://www.AustinListed.com
Are you getting showings? How's the activity on the house? As a real estate agent I can market your property to the best of my ability but there's no guarantee that I'm going to get somebody to call me directly to see your house. It has been my experience that as you go higher in price, the more likely a buyer is already being represented by a real estate agent. The reason for this is many people have already listed their home for sale and are using that real estate agent as their buyers agent to purchase. If you feel that your real estate agent is not doing their job and getting anybody through the house is not marketing it to their best ability then I would think you would have a valid complaint. All you're looking for is one buyer to purchase your home. Sometimes with my listings I will get many phone calls about the property and will show it several times. Other listings almost all of the traffic if not all the traffic comes from my marketing and its other agents were bringing the buyers in. The best advice I can give you is to sit down with your agent and tell them how you feel. As a real estate agent myself I can tell you that if I don't know there's a problem I can't fix it.

Best of luck,
Tom
I agree with the previous 4 responses from my colleagues. I would recommend getting in touch with your agent and having a meeting to express your concerns/questions and follow up with their plan of action. I would be prepared with your questions for your agent that include showing you the comparables in the area, staging ideas, expectations from them, etc.

Once a home is listed by a Realtor it is accessible for all agents to request a showing on your property.

Don't hesitate to ask your Realtor questions and ask for feedback from them on the house and even have them bring in a fresh set of eyes from their office to offer feedback on your home. Work as a team to get your home $old.
I agree with Bill below. In my market area I list a house and then make it available for the other 800 agents to show it to buyers they are working with. I have a 1 in 800 chance of showing it to the buyer who wants to see it.

Now, if no one is showing it, then you have a problem somewhere else. The old rule of thumb says if no one comes to see it then they are being turned off and not even considering it. This would include Price, Location, Pictures, Description, or Price. Usually price.

If they come and then don't make an offer it is something they see there that turns them off, and it can still be price.
They should have told you they may never ever show your house, not even once.
This is not uncommon.
They may refer buyer calls to other agents to show.
They may be marketing to other realtors who have clients that want to see your home.

In the DFW market if I remember correctly over 90% of the sales involved a second realtor.

So while not uncommon for a buyer to drive by your home, and most realtors take a lot of time to market directly to buyers, the reality is that in many if not most cases, another realtor will be the one that brings the buyer.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Laj,
That is always a disappointment when one's expectation is not met.
Such an outcome, in most cases, can be predicted.
-
During the session when you and your agent were discussing the real estate market in your area, several important stats were shared. They were:
1. How many homes in your community sell each month
2. How many homes like yours sell in your community each month
3. Home many homes at your price point sell in your community
4. Where homes at your price point IS selling
5. Where home like yours ARE selling.
-
From this data, the exposure of your home to qualified buyers can me measured. If only three homes a year like yours sell, two months is insufficent time and is a bit to quck to want to pull the plug.
-
Absolute silence, which seems to be what you are expereincing is often the after math of reaching home price that the data supports and piling on padding for negotiation room, adding professional fees, and a little extra for the 'above grade' constructoin quality. This leaves the home priced in excess of 15% above the value bracket of the buyer. (Data shows homes are initially priced 30% above the price for which they will sell) The buyer will not SEE the value and will therefore not choose to see this home. They may put the home on a 'watch' for that 20% price correction.
-
This is the right time to have a meet up with your agent. Have your agent prepare a marketing effectiveness report. The "look but no see" pattern will be exposed. Review the data in the event your price point is too optimistic. Finally, compare your home to homes that DID sell. Why did they sell and not yours? What attributes did they possess that may have made them more appealing?
-
Reaffirm your deeper reason for wanting to sell your home, then take the action needed to get on with your life.

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
A listing agreement is only an agreement - it isn't a contract. It can be cancelled at any time. You don't need a reason to cancel a listing agreement you can just do it if you feel like it. This is Texas state law.

I suggest you call up the Texas Real Estate Commission and confirm it with them.

Yes, your agent may be doing things behind the scenes. So what. If you want to cancel the listing do it.

Also, all listing commissions are negotiable in Texas. If any agent tells you there is a "standard" or "average" or "accepted" commission percentage then report them to the Texas Real Estate Commission and they can go to jail for price fixing.

I have been licensed to sell real estate in Texas since 1980.
Flag Tue Apr 8, 2014