Home Selling in Beverly>Question Details

Bradlee, Home Buyer in Peabody, MA

I recently looked at a house for sale in Beverly Farms MA. The person showing the house was the owner. Shouldn't she have disclosed this?

Asked by Bradlee, Peabody, MA Fri Oct 1, 2010

She never identified herself. This same woman was also very secretive about details on another home for sale in Beverly Farms and was not available to answer questions during the time frames she said she would be. The house sold immediately. Inside job?

Answers

8
Territory.com’s answer
if it was a FSBO, yes, the owner may have just gone ahead and done another deal they felt more lucrative.If she was a licensed broker and never disclosed it then she could be in violation of code of ethics. If you find out this was the case feel free to complain to the MA licensing board.

Sorry this happened, sounds like you would have pursued the property.

Here is every active property for sale in Beverly:
http://www.territoryre.com/idx/search.html?search=true&s…
Web Reference: http://territoryre.com
Bradlee, IF the owner was a licensed real estate agent, that should have been disclosed. Otherwise the owner is not bound by Realtor ethics or the laws governing agents. Buying a home from an owner can be challenging. Many are unsure of the laws of disclosure and the proper steps needed to sell.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 3, 2010
Conspiracy theories aside...agents are bound by codes of conduct the general public is not. Did you ask if she was the owner? Did you have a REALTOR? If you called about a house that was already under agreement, they probably weren't interested in other buyer's questions and busy packing.

If you are lookining at FSBO go in by yourself. If you are looking at listed homes it costs you nothing to work with a buyer's agent.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 2, 2010
In Massachusetts, any broker listing a house must disclose the name of the brokerage in any advertising of the property. If a property is advertised, and a broker isn't listed, you can assume it's for sale by the owner. The owner of the house doesn't have an obligation to give you information on any other properties. Sounds like you would be well served to hire a buyer agent.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 2, 2010
This is why I always suggest that people try to develop a relationship with one realtor to help them buy a home. Having an agent that you know and trust their advice and can count on helping your through the process is a great benefit. Best, Terry Bell, Realtor, Santa Rosa, CA
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 2, 2010
Definitely not enough information to answer this question properly. Was it a FSBO? Who made the appt? etc..
Bradlee,
As a rule I try not to push the Buyer's Agent sales pitch... but in this case I think you would have been able to acquire more information on both properties with assistance. I don't know if this was a for sale by owner situation or not, but never assume that the person you are talking to is working in your best interest unless you have a contract that says so. I live and work in Beverly and would be happy to answer any questions you may have on future properties. Feel free to contact me.--Mike
You're missing a lot of details...Very confusing. What other house? What sold quick?