Andrew Branh…, Home Seller in Greentree, PA

I recently listed my home and am getting very few showings. The home has been listed for 3 weeks and

Asked by Andrew Branham, Greentree, PA Fri Aug 14, 2009

we've had two open houses (ttl of 8 couples) but not getting any showings. We have done direct mailers, newspaper, craigslist, all the key tricks. I put a lot of money for it and priced it only 4% higher than I paid for it two years ago. Any advice would be much appreciated: http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Greentree_P…

Answers

6
Hi Andrew I am a Northwood agent who grew up in Crafton, familiar with Greentree, just sold a house in Crafton Heights. Unless you bought way low and tried to flip (which doesn't sound like your case) You can't expect a profit in 2 year turnaround right now. In 13 to 14 yes but now is too soon Many sellers who have to sell right now (if they bought within the last 2 years) are going to take a loss. Unless you desparately need to sell I'd say wait. I hope your Realtor took many good pictures. Many times houses are a little messy, make sure those photos are good. If your basement is unfinished clean it up by painting the floor. Have your home as clean as possable Good luck ....from Jenny
Hello Andrew,

What a gorgeous home you have! I love the contemporary styling, color choices, and unique finishes.

That being said, I would definitely not be your typical Pittsburgh buyer. Pittsburghers tend to favor much more traditional styling and finishes. This is probably a big reason you have seen limited traffic through your home. Potential Pittsburgh buyers viewing your home online may find the colors and style to be too taste specific for them.

If selling your home quickly is a priority for you, there are some things I would recommend to help make your home appeal to a broader range of buyers. You could paint some of the more brightly colored rooms in more neutral colors. Also, several of the spaces have furniture placement issues that could be easily addressed. For example, the placement of the bed and dressers in the master bedroom make this space appear small and cramped. Rearranging this room would help in making it feel more spacious. I would also suggest you stage the patio area to make it more appealing to buyers. This is a fantastic space that could really help you sell your home if staged well.

The bottom line is that a few simple changes could help your home appeal to a broader market. The more you can broaden the appeal of your home in your specific market, the more quickly you will get it sold. And if you choose to make any of these changes, make sure you have your Realtor® update your MLS photos.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions.

Best wishes for a quick and successful sale!
Hi Andrew,

I have found that when you have very few or no showings on a home that indicates their is a problem with the price. I understand that you have only listed the home 4% higher than what you purchased the home for. However, what are the comparible homes on the market in your area listed for? If a buyer can find another comparible home on the market in your area listed for less why would they pay the higher price for your home. It's always good for a seller to put themself in the place of the buyer. If you were looking at your home on the market right now, would you pay the price you are asking, or would you purchase another home that is very similar in features and benefits for less? Speak with your agent and take another look at the current values in the area. Good luck!
Andrew,

I have some great advise...give it a little more time.
In todays market, you just have to wait, we have fewer qualified buyers and lets face it, there are a lot of homes on the market nationwide.
Give it a little more time, I bet you'll come out just fine!

Web Reference: http://www.abemills.com
Hello, Andrew!

There are 2 reasons why a home will not sell. It is either the condition of the home or the price, or both. Looking at the photos, it doesn't seem like it is the condition of the home. Your home may be overpriced in comparison to comparable homes in the area.

Currently this is a buyers market. With a lot of inventory on the market, if a buyer has to choose between 2 homes that are similar, they will always opt for the lower priced home.

What you can do is contact a real estate professional to do a Comparable Market Analysis on your home. He will show you what current homes on the market, comparable to yours, are selling for and how long they have been on the market. He will be able to show you the local statistics to help you price your home at the market price.

Another way would be to have a certified appraiser appraise your home at the current value.

Let me know how you make out.

Brigita McKelvie, REALTOR, e-PRO, GRI
Residential, Rural and Horse properties
Keller Williams Real Estate, Bethlehem, PA
Office: 610-867-8888 Direct: 610-393-9424
E-mail: brigita@brigitamklv.com
Web: http://www.RuralAndHorseProperties.com
Blogs: http://activerain.com/blogs/brigitam
Take another look at the Asking Price.

How are comparable properties doing? Are they getting shown, are they getting sold? If so, at what price point?

Best wishes,
Fred