Pamela, Home Seller in Chicago, IL

I really need to sale my condo, what is the best and fastest way to do this?

Asked by Pamela, Chicago, IL Mon May 19, 2008

In desperate need, any advice would be great. I am not in any mortgage trouble, just needing to move closer to job.

Answers

11
I disagree with lowering the price out of desperation. First evaluate your competition, make sure to declutter and stage it. Price it in accordance with the competition out there.

I have seen Sellers get more than asking price once they made minor repairs, adding accents like wainscoting or crown molding, neutral paint and staging the home with furniture they already have.

"You" have to make it happen in this market by putting in some extra effort!
Depends on the market you are in. Are condos in your area selling? Did you get comparables and most recnt market reports? Are you going with a Realtor? if so they can provide you with this information.

If not going with Realtor, simply put, you must to research your market area & amenities and what is selling and for what amount. Next, make sure you declutter, stage your condo and price it right.

Unfortunately, as with all sellers you will be looking at longer market days. But if you are competitively priced and in a good location (remember "location, location, location") you should have no problems!

Nick, when you say "flat fee" what kind of service does that include??.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 1, 2008
Hi Pamela,
Well like everyone else said below. You need to price it very competitively, make sure it shows like a model. The key will be location as well as condition and price point. Condos will still sell taking these three points in consideration.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 29, 2008
Hi- You will get thousands of answers on this one. If you are interested in Selling By Owner you can save thousands on commission and be able to have a lower price for a quicker sale. Check out my company's site http://www.KaleRealty.com for more info on our Flat Fee MLS programs

Web Reference: http://www.kalerealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 19, 2008
Pamela,

Despite proclamations of the demise of the Chicago real estate market, things continue to sell if they are priced responsibly. Last week I sold two of my listings and represented two buyers with purchases.

Unlike several previous answerers I don't advocate taking the most recent comp and pricing your place lower or simply undercutting the competition with a lower price. Bear the competition in mind but make sure that you line yourself up with a knowledgeable real estate professional versed in your specific location and also adept at taking advantage of all current resources to market and sell your home (a property specific website, professional pictures of the home, a video tour of the home, aggressive and extensive on-line marketing, and the capacity to steward the listing of your home to a timely and successful transaction).

Having said all of this a good portion of the success of any realtor you choose to market and sell your home relies on your place - where is it located, what size, what level, how is the floor plan, is there parking, what are the finishes, and how does it show.

Best of luck determining the direction in which you go and the professional with whom you align yourself.

Tom McCarey
The Real Estate Lounge Chicago with @properties
I would list it with a professional realtor and have it staged and priced very competitively. Interview three real estate agents and go with the one that will do the best job for you---not just who says they will net you the most money. Go with and agent that knows a few good lenders who know thier products also. I don't know what price range you are in, but you may be able to offer some seller incentives to sell your home quicker. And don't let on that you are desperate to the buyer......just your realtor! Good luck
In a buyer's market, condos tend to be harder to sell since many buyers now think ty might be able to stretch and get into a home. So, you have to have it as clean as possible, staged just right, priced where you are getting showings every few days, and a Virtual Tour linked to dozens of websites to get great exposure. Since you have to sell, I'd price it below all other active condos in your area. Employ an agent who knows your condominium community and has a marketing plan that will make them accountable.
Price it lower than your competition. Then make sure it looks great--cleaned, decluttered, staged. And list with a Realtor with a good, aggressive marketing program.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
List your property lower than the most recently sold comparable.
price it right.. take into consideration the market absorption of properties in your area. It is not good enough these days to price where your neighbor is. You need to be the best price in the market. A good realtor should share with you those statistics and a comprehensive marketing program to get your home sold.

Stacy
Web Reference: http://www.condochicago.com