Home Selling in Newton>Question Details

Marco Bitran, Home Buyer in Brookline, MA

I own a $900,000 house to sell in Newton, MA and am looking for a broker.

Asked by Marco Bitran, Brookline, MA Sun Aug 29, 2010

I'm looking to list it over the coming month but am unwilling to pay a 2.5% fee. However I am looking for a full service broker. Please let me know if any broker is willing to sell my home for a 1% fee.

Answers

8
Jan Crosby’s answer
Maybe you should consider selling it yourself to start. You get what you pay for. If I were a seller, I wouldn't want To waste time or enter into contract with someone who agreed to your term. Think of Grocho's saying "I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me for a member"

Jan Crosby\
RE/MAX First Realty
Newton, MA
Home Seller:

If you are still interviewing agents I would love an opportunity to sit with you to discuss marketing and selling your home. My team is very willing to work with our sellers and we are integrating cutting edge technology to deliver results. We use You Tube to show case our homes and have sold over 22 homes since January 1. Please fee free to visit our profile here on Trulia.
What you are asking for is a discount broker. I would suggest obtaining a full service broker and pay a resonable commision. If you are really serious about getting the top broker in your area, I have the ability through our relocation division to interview and forward to you the top Brokers/Realtors in your area. We are one of 8% of all Brokers nationwide that have this ability. I refer buyers and sellers all over the U.S. with excellent results.
My contact information is listed below:

Frank Dolski MBA, ABR, e-PRO
Coldwell Banker Hearthside Realtors
f.dolski@cbhearthside.com
215-803-3237 (mobilt)
215-794-1070 x-103
Web Reference: http://www.FrankDolski.com
That is a STRATEGY TO FAIL! Your expectation to succed with it is unrealistic and have either a disrespect or total anawareness of the work a broker does. Ultimately, if you do not value the service you are buying, you will not get the value service. There is a reason why the fees are the way they are and if you do not know why, do yourself a favor and get some education before you put your house on the market. The 2.5% in Newton is often paying only one side of the transaction - a buyer's broker. A buyer's broker protects buyer's interests not the seller's, so don't expect anyone to negotiate on your behalf and get the most for your home if you do not have somebody who represents your interests!

Just advertizing alone may eat up that 1% you are offering, so that means you expect a broker to, essentially, work for free. It takes a lot of steps to sell a home (more than 30) with many ways to fail or succeed at each. If you don't know what you are doing or hire somebody who doesn't, you're throughing away more money by trying to "save" on comissions, that you would if you plan was closer to reality!
Web Reference: http://boc-re.com
Dear Brooklinema,

I want to help, if you knew me you would not question that, here is my insight........

A good Realtor will do a very large amount of work for you to include extensive internet online listing services to include MLS, Realtor.com, Century21.com, Trulia.com, Masshomes.com, Postlets.com, Facebook.com, Twitter.com, Newspaper listing costs for open houses, travel back and forth, client meetings, open houses, 24/7 responses to inquiries, follow-ups with potential buyers, weekly updates for you, documentation for the entire transaction, inspection appointments, negotiating for you and the buyer,a photo session, editing of those photos, etc. etc. ......... a good Realtor will bust their hump but not for 1% as we do have expenses and we pay for everything that benefits the sale in the way of advertising, expenses are there and not tiny.

PLUS - when a home is offered for say 4% - we have to split this value with as many agents as it took to deliver the buyer to you and if we had to split 1%, I would not be able to recover my expenses and no agent would be interested in offering it to a buyer knowing they too would not recover their expenses. Very much like using brussel sprouts in a mouse trap instead of cheese. No interest was sparked.

Like anyone else out here, I would be absolutely thrilled to assist you in the sale of your home, I workl damn hard for my clients, but if you want the best damn service you can get with prequalified buyers and no tire kickers and you want the process done right the first time I respectfully ask you to consider a higher percentage, yes , it seems like it hurts now but its worth it in the end to have piece of mind and a quality agent.

Pick one who suits your personality, if he or she treats you like a jerk then he is mosty likely treating potentil buyer the same way, beware of the flim- flam artists as well, they make huge promises and agree with your every word and then when you need to call them, you get no response.

We are NOT all used car salespeople.

If you need me for anything, I am here and would be glad to help you should you decide to go with an agent.

Respectfully,

Jamin Jones
978-335-9092
jmjonesrealtor@gmail.com
It is unclear form your question how you expect the listing agent to pay a buyer's agent. Do you expect to sell you house for a 1% commission and have the listing agent split that with the buyers agent?

Sameer's numbers are bleak enough without considering that fact the the actual totals would be half of that.

You maybe be better off trying to sell the property yourself, if that is all you are willing to offer. At the commission rate you are wiling to pay you will be lucky to find someone and the someone you find is not going to do any marketing work to sell your property.

Do you actually want to sell your property or would you like it to sit on the market for months on end? You need to be more realistic.
1%, I doubt it for full service. Some agent might list it on MLS, and you do all the work on showing. But 1% is just too small for the amount of work. Here's the breakdown, assume you get an offer for $900K, thats a $9,000 commission, then assume they have a 50/50 cut with the broker, leaves them $4,500. Then Uncle Sam wants their share, assume the tax rate is 30%. Leaves them with $3,150, then deduct the expenses for MLS Fees, auto expenses, and other real estate related expenses. You mean to tell the agent they will earn $2,700 on a deal where they are supposed to make $22,500 gross?

We as agents work very hard, I'm actually proposing a 8% total fee to sell the homes. I think we've been at 6% for a while.

You might might an agent desperate enough to take you on the offer, but I doubt it.

Good Luck with it.
Hi there,
Full service brokerages have to charge, at least, 4 percent to cover their costs. Most will charge 5-7 percent.

I would love to help you. Maybe we could figure something out.

Cheers,
Bill P.