Rick Beltz, Home Seller in Lansing, MI

I own a house in MI that is in both my name and my wife's name. Are both signatures required to sell the house? Thanks.

Asked by Rick Beltz, Lansing, MI Mon Dec 2, 2013

Answers

8
Hi Rick,

Looks like you have the answers to your question! I am working with a couple right now who haven't lived together in years but need to sell a property they own jointly. I work with them separately and together and while it can be a challenge, it is doable with an agent who keeps the communication flowing. I would be happy to do a no cost analysis for your home if you are wanting a place to begin. Let me know how I can help.

Karen Holoweiko
Century 21 Looking Glass
Lansing, MI 48917
(517) 242-5611
KarenH@Century21.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 2, 2013
Yes, both signatures are required. But you could also do a power of attorney.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 2, 2013
Yes, both signatures are required to sell the house.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 2, 2013
Hi Rick,

If you are looking for a local agent to help with the sale of your home, please give us a call (517-712-4441). We will provide you with a pricing analysis and market data - No cost & no obligation. We are happy to help!

Doug Stratz - Greater Lansing Area Real Estate Services
Keller Williams Realty, Lansing
doug@gl-re.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 2, 2013
Hi Rick,
Yes, Susan is correct in that both of your signatures are required on the sale's documents if both of you are on the deed. You can obtain a power of attorney to sign for your wife if she is not available to be present to sign all the documentation. Speak to an attorney about it.

Best wishes!

Laura Feghali
Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices New England Properties
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 2, 2013
Yes. Any person listed on the deed must sign a listing agreement, a sales contract, and any other legal documents required by a title company or attorney that handles the closing. If there is a health matter that is an issue, then that is a different matter.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 2, 2013
Thank you Susan! Hope you're enjoying the weather in FL. It's c-o-l-d up here in MI. Hence, wanting to sell the house and move to coastal NC.
Flag Mon Dec 2, 2013
Yes, all parties on the deed to the property must sign in order to sell the property. In some cases, a Power of Attorney can be used in the event one party cannot be present.
Signatures from both will be required. If both parties are in different locations, then signatures may need to be obtained by FedEx. The title company handles those details usually though.
Web Reference: http://plymouthhomes.tv/