Home Selling in Califon>Question Details

June, Other/Just Looking in 07882

I own a beautiful secluded mountaintop home on a large acreage in the Highlands. I'm thinking about listing it, but the value of the land is

Asked by June, 07882 Mon Jun 13, 2011

gone. How does one market large properties in the Highlands?

Answers

2
Hello June,

It has been awhile since you posted your question, but I'm currently working on a land listing that falls within the Highlands Preservation Area and thought the following information may be helpful to you.

I'm afraid that there is no blanket answer on how a property such as your can be marketed, without an agent ascertaining additional information on the particulars of your property. You mentioned you have large acreage, but did not indicate if any of the land is farm assessed or preserved, or if you have additional structures on your property that would contribute to the total % of impervious coverage. Do you have any wetlands on your property or within 150' of your property lines? Are these wetlands recorded on a topographical map? I am guessing that your location would require you to have a septic system. How large is your septic system? These are just a few questions I would ask.

I would suggest discovering whether or not your property falls into a Preservation Area or a Planning Area. This will determine immediately if your property must abide by the DEP Highlands rules for any modifications that a potential buyer may want to do. I would also suggest researching whether or not your property matches any of the Highlands exemptions & grandfathering clauses. Here is a link for the DEP's interactive mapping system to enter your property location. http://www.nj.gov/dep/gis/depsplash.htm

All this information will help an agent better position your property within the current market to appeal to the most buyers. Research and information is your agent's best marketing strategy.

If you are still considering listing your property or if you have additional questions, please feel free to give me a call.

Best of luck!
Eileen Kelly
Keller Williams Towne Square Realty
Bernardsville, NJ 07924
973-477-8445 cell
908-766-0085 office
Marketing any property for sale hasn't changed nor does it matter where the property is located.
Marketing is the sales pitch, it's how the public will "see" the property being offered for sale.

All of the attributes that sold you on the property will likely help sell it to another buyer.
Condition, Location and Price those three words stand firm on every property that is for sale.
There is a buyer for every Condition every Location and every price range, it is your agents job to Market to that buyer that best fits what you have to offer. You and every other homeowner has lost inflated value on their homes and are having a hard time accepting those facts that's the real problem of todays market, if you don't have to sell Don't if you must sell the Accept what is the current value of your home.

Good Luck
Maggie Quinn
Crossroads Realty
Jackson/Millstone Office
Cell 732-299-1502