Lisa, Other/Just Looking in 07480

I need to sell my house before I can buy. Should I choose a realtor in my town or one that is familiar with the town I want to move to?

Asked by Lisa, 07480 Thu Dec 3, 2009

Answers

13
These days, many people are doing their own research on the internet ~ so finding someone "right around the corner" isn't as important as finding someone who's truly knowledgeable about the real estate market, trends in the area, and how to market a property. the size of the company doesn't matter nearly as much as the commitment your particular agent is willing to make to sell your house, and to help you find a new home. I'd recommend personal referrals over big name companies...ask your friends who they used and if they were happy ~ and if they were ~ give the person they used a call!

Stacey Bullock Christman
Scott O'Connell Properties
2927 Ferndale
Houston, TX 77098
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 22, 2012
Lisa,
Since it is harder to sell than buy at this time you would want to focus on getting your home sold first.
You want to pick an agent that works in and is very experienced in your area. You also want to select a realtor that works well with you personality and communication style.
I have been selling in League City, 77573 for more than 20 years. We have many very good realtors in this area. This has been a challenging time but we do sell homes every day.
If you are buying out of the area it would be wiser to use an agent that was also familiar with that area. Depending on where you want to move to the listing agent that sells your home may not have knowledge about the area that you are moving to but they can refer you to an expert in that area.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 4, 2011
When choosing a Realtor, don't be too concerned as to their location, sometimes a local broker is no more skillled than one outside the area--first and foremost make sure you like each other as you will be spending some time together.

Anna
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 3, 2009
Lisa,

I think the trend years ago was to find a local realtor who had a solid number of years in that exact subdivision to sell your home. But in 2009 and on, I dont feel this is the case.

For example, I am licensed in PA and I take listings that are 1-1.5hrs away. Its all how that agent manages their business. I have sold properties without seeing them and have sold properties without meeting the owners.

I would look for an agent who has a broader sense of the market.

Sean Dawes
Web Reference: http://www.SeanDawes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 3, 2009
Here is what I would do. I would choose a very experienced Realtor in my area to list my house, one who works with a lot of buyers. Remember, when you list your home you want a buyer for that house so pick an agent who works with a lot of buyers. Make them show you their production stats. Secondly, I would pick an agent who works with one of the big franchises like REMAX because they are more likely to be able to refer you to a good agent in the area you are moving to.
It is important to use an agent that is informed about your area and the trends that are going on there. An out of town agent may not have the knowledge about your area that a local agent willl
I would concentrate on choosing a Selling Agent!
If you are staying the same general area, then it is usually best to use the same Realtor. That way both closings can be coordinated and the transactions usually go alot smoother. However, if you are moving, for instance, out of state, then you will need to either have your local realtor find a Realtor in the area you are moving to or find one yourself. I think it is definitely to the seller's advantage to hire a Realtor that is familiar with your area. The farther away the Realtor is from the property, the less customer service you will probably receive.
You can choose two realtors.
One for your neighborhood and one for the new location.
If you think you need to choose one, I would choose one who can focus on selling your current home.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 6, 2009
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Depending on how far the towns are apart, you can use the same realtor. I have properties that are 1 hour apart. Just have to have a realtor who knows numbers and can see trends in real estate.
Web Reference: http://www.SeanDawes.com
You need to choose a Realtor who is familiar with the town you are selling in and if you want to buy another house in another town choose another Realtor
If Jorge is right about an agent just already having prospects, then why not just call those agents and say you will pay them "x" if they have a buyer.

Because when you list typically the commission total is "x" and then a portion is paid to a buyers agent and the listing agent gets some. But if Jorge's example was the case, that agent would double dip and walk with a decent penny.

Although i agree that a niche agent may know some people, regardless of the area, if an agent knows how to truely market, those buyers will be seeing the home regardless.

Sean Dawes
You'll be better off with an agent who knows your town to sell. Better said, that does business regularly in that area. If they are actively marketing their business they should already have a few prospects looking to buy in that area.

You don't have to use them to buy your next home, although they will probably appreciate your loyalty. Finding a home for sale is not hard. I don't know how far is the new town you are moving to, but if it's nearby, the listing agent should have no problem helping you find a home there.

Hope that helps