Just Asking, Home Seller in San Antonio, TX

I need to sell my home quickly. I am under market and in 78253; on potranco outside 1604 (redbird ranch). Home=4 years old, great condition. Advice?

Asked by Just Asking, San Antonio, TX Wed Sep 22, 2010

Answers

17
Just Asking,

Questions like these aren't all that uncommon these days. One of the first things I would think of is that you mentioned Redbird Ranch. One of the biggest problems you're going to face selling your home in that subdivision is that the builder (DR Horton) is still selling inventory back there. When builders are still working in a community, it tends to affect prices. Although your home might be priced well, the builder can offer discounts, incentives, and upgrades that you aren't offering. Many of the builders have been having sales as they approach both the end of the month and their end of year (they don't necessarily end their business year on December 31).

Obviously, any agent will mention price, condition of the home, and the current market in your neighborhood (there are 31 houses in the neighborhood for sale currently - that's a lot to choose from). These are all factors you probably have considered and you should continue to consider. Have you looked at the other homes in the neighborhood? Has your agent (if you're working with one)? What sets them apart from yours? Is your home visible from a marketing standpoint? If you google your address, you should find it, but what if you google "Redbird Ranch" or "home for sale 78253" - think of how YOU would search for a house and try and find yours. These sorts of phrases should bring your home back as a result.

I also notice you posted the question in "Home Selling in 78230", but the home is in 78253 - this could just be a simple mistake or it could be that your home is vacant (and you currently live in 78230) - if that is true, that would bring up a new set of questions - is the home being looked after (a mowed lawn makes a big difference in perception), does it look "too empty", and are you in a position where you must sell to meet payments on another home (or possibly facing foreclosure or a short sale situation). While none of this may be true, because of the limited information to work from, I find myself asking a lot of questions about your particular situation.

Without knowing the why, when, and "for how much," it is hard to give you any solid advice, but I hope some of this helps get you thinking in the right direction. If you're working with an agent, sit them down and ask them questions. If you haven't even listed the home, take some time and investigate a few agents here and talk to them about your thoughts. If your home is listed as a for sale by owner, it may be time to rethink that strategy.

I hope that helps.

Matt Stigliano, Realtor®
RE/MAX Access
(210) 646-HOME
http://www.RErockstar.com
"Your all access pass to San Antonio real estate."
Hi Just Asking,
You are in a TOUGH SPOT. Your biggest competition is the builder, and they are offering buyers thousands in incentives to buy a home from them, such as paying the buyers closing costs, or some type of upgrades, etc.
I'm sure you were offered incentives as well when you bought. So you understand how attractive this can be, right?

Your biggest defense is going to be 3 pronged, and pretty much in this order:
* Priced as competitive as you can stand
*Curb Appeal HAS to say "Honey, stop the car!!"
*Inside has to be immaculate and show ready with a short notice, say 10 - 15 minutes.

Since you're competing against the builder, you'll have a certain amount of traffic driving the neighborhood. So to get any attention at all, you'll have to have curb appeal to get them to notice you enough to stop and grab a flyer.

When they do this, they may already have a price list in hand. So the price upfront has to be spot on from the get go. If this is appealing as well, and they want to actually get inside, they may not want to wait 2 hours for you to vacuum and wash the dishes. So this part just has to happen as a matter of habit. The way we live in a house and the way we sell houses are two different things altogether. Hopefully your listing agent has prepped you for this already.

Typically, if I have buyers in the car, and we're looking at other homes, maybe yours didn't spark any interest over the internet, but we drove by and WOW, they like it!! You can see where a showing could need to be scheduled on short notice.

Once we're inside, it really needs to sparkle. It needs to be plain enough so that the buyers can see their items in the house, but no so cleared out it looks like an empty shell. Take your staging hints from the builders. They spend HUGE money each year researching what buyers react to. Use their research to your favor.

And don't be afraid to spend $100 - $200 for a stagers consultation. they can lay out a plan for you to execute, which will result in a faster sale and possibly a little more money.

I am including a link to a stagers website for your reference. Good info there.

Best of luck,

John King
Broker Associate
(210)445-2631
johnkinghomes@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 23, 2010
Hopefully you have sold this home already but if you haven't and are looking for an agent to market your property feel free to contact me. I create a detailed business plan that will include a market plan. Doing this allows me to sell your home as quick as possible.

Johnny E Williams
210-858-7899
johnny@sahomestx.com
http://www.SAHomesTX.com
Just Asking,

The is an excellent neighborhood and location. First thing, when you say you are under market are you stating you are negative financial state or that the homes is valued less than what you paid? Also do you have current appraisal or CMA?

In the situation you are in selling your home can be done, it just has to be creative.

Your question will have many answers and I would love to sit down and give you an analysis of how we can get your home sold quickly.

Shail Patel
(210) 454-2904
shailgpatel@kw.com
I am both a broker and investor and would be glad to discuss a possible purchase. I'm a direct buyer and not looking to list your home. I can close upon receipt of clear title and a survey.

Guy E. Gimenez
Senior Managing Partner / Broker
Globe Assets
512-507-5864
info@globeassets.com
Here are your choices: 1. Sell short.Contact your mortgage holder and ask to do a short sale. A short sale is where the lender agrees to take a lesser value for the home and then forgives the rest. Thank goodness the tax laws are still the same and you won't be taxed on your loss.
When you do sell your home, the IRS will be notified, and you can claim the loss as a capital loss and may get a tax break - consult a tax specialist first.
2. Walk away - notify your mortgage holder that you are giving the house back to the lender. This has serious credit complications for several years. You may not be able to rent a place with this on your records
3. Rent it - is it possible to rent this out? Maybe to a military family coming into the area?
Please email me or give me a call to discuss these options. Kelly Spicer 210-347-7432 or spicer_kelly@hotmail.com
I also live in the area too. I live off Talley road - off Potranco.
Flag Wed Jan 23, 2013
We have done agent open houses in situations like this. We host a luncheon strictly for agents to view your home and they submit a review and suggestions on what they would do to get the home sold. This has worked well for us in the past. Another idea would be to have your agent offer a bonus to the agent who brings a buyer to the home. (They would not get the bonus until closing) We recently offered a $1,500 bonus to the selling agent (after the home sat on the market for 45 days) and the house sold in 3 days! Good luck!
We suggest a video home tour. It gets to more potential buyers.
Hi, Just,

Look seriously at the numbers! In the last three months only 4 homes have sold - all small (less than 1,662 SF) and all NEW. Of the 5 pending, only one is pre-owned; the rest are NEW. Looks like the Builder might have an advantage. Of course! They are paying double commissions to agents.

There are currently 38 homes for sale in Redbird Ranch. 15 are NEW. In the last three months, only 4 homes sold. That's a supply of 28 month's worth. And they're still Building.

It's going to be a while before you can sell against that tide unless you really CUT the price and take a big loss. you are probably better off to find a good property manager and rent it out until the madness stops. It's a nice neighborhood with lots of rental prospects. There are only 5 competitors, and a strong rental demand.

If we can help you, give us a call.

Doc Stephens, REALTOR®
Web Reference: http://TellEllen.com
How long have you been in your home? Sometimes a newer home won't sell quickly if there are plenty of brand new homes in the area on the market. You didn't state whether you had representation. If you do not, please do so immediately. The right agent can get your home priced, staged, and advertised right. I am very familiar with Redbird Ranch and the surround area since I live in the 78253 area. I would be most happy to speak and meet with you. Kelly Spicer, Realtor. Century 21 North Town & Country. 210-347-6432 spicer_kelly@hotmail.com
Just Asking.....there are options available to you IF you are really serious about selling quickly. These are non-traditional times when it comes to selling a home, so you will need to consider non-traditional methods to get your home sold.

If you don't have 4-12 months to sell via traditional method, you may want to consider options such as seeking out investors who can have an in-depth knowledge of creative home buying and selling techniques....techniques that are not offered in the traditional real estate arena.

A traditional sale, short-sale, foreclosure or other traditional approaches to the problem are not always the best or right solution.

I you wish to discuss this further, please call or email me. I'm an investor and real estate broker and can help you see from both sides of the equation.

Guy E. Gimenez
512-507-5864
info@FastCash4AustinHomes.com
John had some great advice but another thing you need to consider is if you can walk away at your selling price or will you have to short sale.
If you have to short sale, you need an agent who understands how to work a short sale. Not just an agent who has sold short sale properties.
Hi Just Asking,

First and foremost, it sounds as though you have a Realtor and are just looking for some more advice. If you do not have a Realtor, then I suggest you get one as soon as possible.

You say you are priced "under market". By whose account? Was a thorough CMA done of your area and Subdivision? How priced "under market" are you? As Matt below said, DR Horton is still building. You would need to price extremely competitively to make your home more desirable then a new home with incentives to sell quickly.

Next of course is the condition of the home and accessibility, (how available are you making the home for showing and what does it look like when buyers come to see it?). And, how much and what type of marketing is your Realtor doing? Pictures, virtual tours and video all help to put your home in the best light possible to make it attractive to buyers out in the market today. Trust me, they have lots to choose from and your home needs to stand out from the others.

You have gotten some great answers here, Just Asking. I wish you the best of luck in selling your home. If you need some help and do not already have a Realtor, please feel free to call me.

Brenda Mullen
Realtor(r), ABR(r), e-Pro
Smart Moves Realty
210-807-0819
brenda.mulllen@sbcglobal.net
Do not get an appraisal. The best advise I can give you..... hire a Realtor. It's the best thing you can do.
When you say you are under market do you mean you are under water? Or just that your house's market value is less than what you owe on your mortgage? You may have many options. You need to speak with a Certified Distressed Property Expert such as myself. I look forward to your call. You can reach me directly at the number below. Please identify yourself as Just Asking from Trulia when you call me. Thanks.

Justin Werner, ABR, CDPE
Accredited Buyer Representative
Certified Distressed Property Expert
RE/MAX Exclusive
210-367-4757
http://www.AlamoCityHomeInfo.com
http://www.JustinWerner.com
http://www.StopAlamoCityForeclosure.com
You need to do a net sheet to determine what price you can accept for your house that will not cost you money. In today's market, that may not work. If you are willing to spend around $400, call your mortgage lender and ask them for the name of an appraiser they can recommend. Call the appraiser and get a price for a FHA or VA appraisal. Then you can determine how to best market your home. Or call a Realtor.
Find an agent who can combine your personal requirements with the local market. Together you should be able to put together a win/win situation for you!