Home Selling in Bridgeport>Question Details

Jasylynlong, Both Buyer and Seller in Bridgeport, TX

I need to advertise to sell my house by owner, what should I do first

Asked by Jasylynlong, Bridgeport, TX Thu Jul 19, 2012

Answers

12
Re-consider and use a realtor, Asking what to do first is should make you see the value of the experience that comes with an realtor, For help finding one go to http://www.grapevinereferrals.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 6, 2012
Advertise in the Wise County Messenger or the local Bridgeport paper, try various by-owner websites. Saving the commissions is a great thing if you have home selling experience and know what to recognize in a contract.

If that doesn't work interview 3-4 Wise County agents to see who you feel good about working with.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 6, 2012
Contact an agent and have them list it in MLS for you.
There are a lot of agents who will do this for a small flat fee.
THIS will be your best money spent on advertising as it can be seen by EVERY agent with clients looking in your neighborhood.

Tom Burris
Mortgage Banker
DallasLoanGuy.com
(214) 763-4629 cell/text/nights/weekends(Really!!)
tomburris@dallasloanguy.com
Lending all across the entire Great State of Texas!!
NMLS# 335055
Search Dallas area MLS for FREE. No registration => http://www.ntreisinnovia.net/cgi-ntr/BR_login?0501134
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 22, 2012
Debbie gave you some good advice on getting educated and knowing the legalities of selling a home. If a Realtor brings a buyer they will ask for a commission, so youmay want to advertise that you cooperate with agents. Also if you show your home to a prospective buyer - be safe. Ask them to come with a pre-approval letter from a lender this will discourage anyone who is potentially casing your home for stealing later. Do put away any valuables like jewelry and guns. Do not leave any prescription drugs accessible, lock them away someplace. Good luck to you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 21, 2012
I am actually going to answer your question rather than lecturing you on what you should or shouldn't do!

1. you cannot list a for sale by owner on trulia - but you can list it on Zillow.com
2. you can list your house on ForSaleByOwner.com
3. you can list your house on Craigslist.com........and a variety of other fsbo sites (you might try googling "fsbo listing sites").
4.. you could list with a flat fee broker who will place your house on the local MLS for a set fee, rather than a percentage of the sale price. You will still be expected, however, to offer a selling commission to any buyer's agent who brings in a qualified buyer with an acceptable offer.

There is also your local newpaper, if it is something that has a good circulation.
A sign may not help, but it can't hurt.

What you also really need to do is educate yourself on the home selling process as best you can....clearly, agents think you should list your house with them, but I respect your right to make your own decision.
Understand the process........the legalities..............the local requirements.........and, if lucky enough to get an offer, if you aren't sure about a contract that is presented to you...at least have a real estate attorney look it over.

Best wishes...........
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 20, 2012
You should definitely contact a local Full Service Realtor before committing to sell your home yourself. Statistics show that for sale by owners (FSBO's) sell for 11% less than homes listed with a competent Realtor. You may be doing yourself an injustice by selling on our own.

If you still want to sell on your own, offer a buyers agent fee to buyers agents in your area. Put a for sale by owner sign in your yard stating "Buyers agents welcome." Do some research to determine what the going commission rate is for these agents. You may be able to attract a buyer this way, however remember, the agent is representing the buyer in these cases and does not have your interests in mind.

I do not recommend selling on your own. As Darrell stated below, there are many pitfalls that an agent acting on your behalf would be able to navigate you through.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 20, 2012
Contact an agent. Most For Sale By Owners will put a sign in their yard and place an ad on a FSBO site or Craigslist. Most buyers wil never look on a FSBO site or Craigslist - did you look there when you bought.

All agents pay fees to allow them to list your home in the local realtor MLS which in turn publishes your home nationwide in sites such as Trulia, Realtor.com, HotPads, etc. This mass marketing is one feature Realtors pay for to allow us to provide to a seller. Also, coordinating showings, negotiating deals, guiding you through the contracts, dealing with the Title Company, etc are bonuses. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you good luck. But, just remember that 89% of buyers use theinternet in their home search and most never look on Craigslist.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 19, 2012
I can do it and give you the power of the MLS, for $199 for 6 month listing. 210 690 0050 http://www.missionregroup.com
Jasylynlong, Just wanting to get an update from you. HAVE you decided to go the FSBO (for sale by owner) route OR did you decide to list with a local Realtor?
IF you have not made a decision, I WOULD LOVE to get in touch with you and find out what your progress is and talk to you about how I can help you accomplish your goal of selling.
I am LOCAL, KNOW THE MARKET and will market your property aggressively for you. Give me a call, text OR EMAIL me and lets get started.
IF you are already working with one of Wise County's finest.....please excuse this solicitation and GOOD LUCK!! Contact me anyway to tell me the address, I may already have some looking in your area.
GOD BLESS & HAPPY SELL'ng!
Jasy,
You have LOTs of options. Let's review these before we get to 'What's first."
There is a company that specializes in helping you sell you home by yourself.
They only want $2,500 (upfront) for a sign in the front yard and a website placement. They will allow you to do all the work.

There are other companies who may charge less, for the sign along with a less known website.

Then you can choose to advertise your home for sale in the local daily paper. That could cost as little as $30 for 15 words (including your telephone) or $350 if you include an image. Since you are on Trulia, I can assume you realize qualified buyers no longer look for homes for sale in the newspaper.

You can advertise in the community paper (generally published by the same newspaper company) where you can buy more space for less money. Expect to pay $350 per publication.

Of course, you will want to put your home for sale ad on Craigslist. No out-of-pocket cost to you, but a lot of care and feeding costs will occur. Folks who don't have money to buy a home, who can not qualify for a home mortgage, who are predatory in the purchase strategy, search for the unsuspecting on Craigslist. Unless you are an exceptional screener, this could prove to be an exciting path to pursue. Be vigilant in searing the 'for rent' section of Craigslist to see if your home appears.

Now, what to do first.
You are going to need to know the price to advertise
You are gong to need to know the price for which you will sell.
How do those numbers stack up with what is occurring in your real estate market.
What are buyers ACTUALLY buying?
Where are buyers ACTUALLY buying home like yours?:
How are buyers paying for their purchase?
What else are they looking at?
What are the obstacles that must be overcome? (this is big)

With the above information you now know your pricing strategy, who to promote the home to, and how to distinguish your home from competing homes. This is essential in creating the advertising that will capture the attention of the qualified buyer who might find your price appealing and know the PROPER incentive when they express interest and qualification.

There you have it in a nutshell.
Or you can skip all that and just do the PPP thing.
Put a for sale sign in font yard
Put on Craigslist
Pray nothing goes wrong.

I like to save money. I know you do also. Many homeowners are successful in selling their homes themselves. With everything that I do know about selling real estate. I would hire an agent to sell the home I own.

Best of success in selling your Bridgeport Tx home.
Annette

Chat with me on:
http://www.RealEstateMadeEZ.us
In other words;
you want to sell your house yourself,
but you don't want to sell your house yourself?
In addition to Darrell's comments it is proven stats that sellers make more when using an agent. I live in Springtown do if you are interested we will be happy to come and talk with you and show you our marketing plan.

Kim Sullivan 817-797-4706 kimsullivanrealty@gmail.com
Or
Shawn Jackson 817-521-0125 jacksojnj@aol.com
The Michael Group