Hopefully both of you can come to a meeting of the minds and make it work. You don't have to accept any of their terms, but working with them to at least come to a fair agreement regarding repairs, etc., is probably in your best interest. Also think about losing them at this point. How much you'd lose in mortgage payments while the home goes back on the market and possibly getting a lower offer down the road which may cost you even more. Once the home is inspected and you have information about serious repairs needed, you should disclose them to any future, potential buyer. So if the repairs are necessary, you will have to make them or negotiate them in the future anyway.
Best of luck to you. I hope you have a good agent who is skilled in negotiating.
I'm not sure if you are working with an agent on this, but the inspection portion of the agreement should clearly state how the process should be handled after each inspection is completed. If you are, refer to the agreement.
Your agent will be able to advise you of the options and the potential outcomes that could occur as a result of your decision, but in this market, it's imperative that you find a way to come to terms if you really need to sell.
You will need to consider how long you've been trying to sell, how long homes are sitting on the market in your area, and your own personal decision to sell when renegotiating the terms of what the buyer is asking for. Sometimes it's best to show flexibility and work with the buyer to come to terms on their request then to wait for another offer to come in, so take all of these things into consideration and best of luck.
Keller Williams Greater Cleveland West
I would hope they are not making an issue of something minor or something that was in plain sight. I would need more details to advise you further. You do have the right to counter their request.
Have you spoken to your listing agent about this? What did he/she say?
Feel free to contact me with further details to discuss...