Home Selling in Findlay>Question Details

Jeff, Home Seller in Findlay, OH

I'm selling my house. During a winter storm the sunrrom was destroyed. Should I build a new room or take the insurance money and drop my asking?

Asked by Jeff, Findlay, OH Fri Mar 11, 2011

price? The sunroom was a non-insulated aluminum wall with large sliding windows. If I would to build a new sunroom should it be upgraded to insulated walls? I don't know if I would get the value the new sunroom when selling the house....

Jeff..I agree with Char here...buyers typically don't want to have to repair a home immediately after purchase....and when they do, they typically develop an 'investor' mentality, and use the needed repair as a negotiation point on the price for the home. I would advise to repair the sunroom.....as it is a 'sunroom' I wouldn't think the adding of insulated walls would justify the added cost....

Hope this helps
Jeff- there are definitely a number of variables to consider in answering this question, but buyers typically don't like to be faced with a project right after outlying the money to buy. Also, the current condition might pose a problem with certain loan types....but there is no way to tell for sure without seeing your home. If you aren't working with a realtor and want an assessment done so that you get an informed answer, just let me know. You can reach me directly at charj@remax.net or 419-306-8657.

You can probably take the insurance money and build an even nicer and updated sunroom that would make a great selling point for your home. Price isn't always the biggest factor when selling a home. It needs to be organized, functional, and look good. Get yourself a good agent who will walk through your home to determine whether the sunroom would help sell the home or not. Just imagining it in my head, building a nice functional and stylish sunroom for entertaining probably help you fetch more $$ for your home, plus get it sold a little quicker.

Jeff, to give you an honest answer, I would have to see your home, know your asking price, and condition of your home. Please feel free at call me @419.306.2456 to discuss.