Home Selling in Chatsworth>Question Details

Rosepetal, Home Owner in Dalton, GA

I'm 1/3 owner of this house where i live. I pay ALL the bills & upkeep. I'm tired of interfering family & want to sell them my

Asked by Rosepetal, Dalton, GA Sun Mar 13, 2011

share. How do I do this My mom said I could live here until I died (I'm 64), but did not put it in writing. My brother has tried legally to get me out of this house, even tried to make me pay rent and I'm 1/3 OWNER! He spent $5,000 and had no legal right to do anything to me in the end. He's rich and I am on disabilitiy. He is just a very cruel man. I'm so tired of this mess and want to know how i can just sell that man my 1/3 and move out for good. It has been total hell since I moved here in 1997. Thank you.

You really should speak with an Attorney. Issues such as the following would need to be addressed:
* Was there a "Life Estate" document drafted stating you may live in the home (which would superseed the title and allow you to stay there until your passing)?
* Has title been legally passed to the three of you (are you on the Deed)?
Dear Ms. Farmer,
Thank you for your information. Since I pay the property taxes here, I have a value assessed by the property appraisers for this property already. I can't afford to move (believe me, I would have if I could afford it!). That's what he wants me to do, so he can collect rent. It's all about money to him, it's about not being homeless for me. There is another problem though. The original Will states that, although he, my sister and I are owners at this time, after we are gone, it goes to my three nephews and only then can they break the will and sell the entire property. Does this interfere with my selling my brother my 1/3 share? So sorry for all these questions. I've just had enough and this is the first time I have asked questions. Thank you so much.
You need to have an appraisal or get the current market value assessed so each of the parties can formulate a sales price and then right a sales agreement selling your share if you will be exchanging funds. Otherwise you can have a paralegal prepare a new deed and have it recorded transferring your share to the remaining two parties for a very small fee. I would think you could move at any time prior to the sale and if the property was rented to someone else who payed rent that would be split 3 ways you could obtain a little additional income off your share.

Sandy Farmer
Realtor, GRI, CSSN
John Hall & Associates
Web Reference: http://homesales411.com