Home Selling in Freehold>Question Details

Cwinke4406, Home Buyer in Freehold, NJ

I'm in process of selling my home with an agent, do I have to use the same agent to purchase a new home?

Asked by Cwinke4406, Freehold, NJ Thu Apr 26, 2012

I've been having some issues with my current agent, not informing me of the status of the sale of my current home, always having to call her, not getting phone calls/emails returned, being told one thing and finding out another, (thru email's that have been sent to me)

Answers

15
John Sacktig’s answer
C -

No. You are not obligated to work with that Realtor unless you singed something that gave you a discount for your business directly related to you sale and purchase. I have worked this situation myself with many clients.

After reading responses here, you will notice how quick people are to pooh-pooh your current agent to get your business. Come to me! You don’t have to use them.. I am concerned, Don’t be in the dark, … Blah,Blah, Blah.

There must be a reason you hired your current agent, trust, a conversation.. something. Call her, tell her you are losing that feeling as to why you hired her in the first place and tell her you are thinking of NOT using her for your purchase. I bet, no, I GUARANTEE you will see a change back to the person you hired.

Before you jump into the whole - I’m better, pick me, I’m concerned for you nonsense, give her a shot again.

You can email me is you like to discuss, As with all my business…I follow every single thread that I personally enter a post to here on Trulia voices.

This is as important to me as it is to you.

John Sacktig
Broker/Manager
Orange Key Realty
Direct:732-213-1409
JSacktig@orangekeyrealty.com
Cwinke,

No you do not have to use the same agent that is selling your home to buy a home unless of course you signed something with that agent binding you into using them as your selling agent. Since selling and buying at the same time can be somewhat of a challenge I would normally advise its best to use the same agent but if you are not happy with your agent than I see no reason using the same agent. Again, make sure you are not bound by a written agreement to buy through her too. Is your current home under contract? If not, how much time is left on your listing agreement?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 26, 2012
My current home is under contract, we where suppose to close April 30th, I was told the day before no we were not closing because she didn't have a mortgage. I thought this was crazy since it was repeated to me that she had a mortgage committment. I just don't appreciate not being told things and having to find out on my own
Flag Thu Apr 26, 2012
It really depends on whether or not you signed an exclusive buyers agency agreement with your current realtor. If you did look to see what the expiration date is on the agreement. If you did not sign an exclusive agreement and your agent has been showing you homes while you are trying to sell your home and you wind up buying one of those homes theen that person would be considered the procuring cause for introducing you to that home and would be entitled to compensation. If you haven't started looking at homes and you are waiting to sell you should be free to work with any agent you choose .
Absolutely not! If you are not happy with their service to you then find an agent that will put your needs first!
No you are not obligated to use the same agent to purchase a new home. However, look through the paperwork initially signed and be sure that u didn't sign a "buyer's agency agreement" with this agent. If so, all you need to do is send a "written" communication to the broker terminating this agreement.

However, I am concerned for you that time is of the essense not knowing whether your home is sold or you continue to remain "on market" .

May I ask (1) what is the status of your current listing for sale and (2) where to you plan to seek a new home. Please email me at Francesca@PatrizioRE.com or call as I do not follow all trulia posts (way too overwhelming with lots and lots of emails). I address serious inquiries only due to time constraints.

Francesca Patrizio, Broker Sales Associate, ePro, SRES
Francesca@PatrizioRE.com
732.606.2931 (24/7)
How's everything going? You don't have to buy through the same agent, unless they are a discount broker, and signed an agreement with them. Agents should never leave you in the dark during a transaction. If you would like assistance in purchasing your next home, let me know. Thanks.

Peter G. Apicella
Realtor Asssociate
Prudential Zack Shore Properties
520 Washington Blvd.
Sea Girt, NJ 08750
732-915-2773
This does not sound like a good selling experience, for sure!

You don't have to work with your current agent on your next transaction (but check your paperwork on her buyer's agent future presentation, as suggested here).

Even if you signed something, you can have a heart to heart to part ways, cancelling the buying paperwork legally. If any trouble, as the actual listing agreement is with the broker (not the agent), I suggest to talk to the broker, explaining what transpired and your overall "impression".

Hope your purchase will be a great deal better.

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
IrinaKaran@gmail.com
I agree with Gina,

Make sure you haven't agreed to something in writing about purchasing through your current agent. Sometimes an agent will give a break on the selling commission if they know you will be using them on the buying side. Be sure you haven't entered into that type of agreement before moving on.

If you have, I would suggest you contact the agent's manager or broker to get to the bottom of the negative issues. If things don't get better, ask the broker to be assigned a new agent. Your listing is owned by the broker of record.
Resolve the issues to keep your sale on track. You're not obligated to use the same realtor, espcially is those issues are not resolves to your satisfaction.

If your move is to a different region, or even town, that might be a graceful way to exit the relationship.

Keith Radhuber, Broker Assoc.
No you do not have to usethe same Agent.
It isn't a bad idea, though.
They know you and your circumstances.
They have already invested time and money helping you.
And they know you need to move to make the Sale go smoothly.

However, if they do not know the area where you are moving, you may concider other Agents who do
Hi- If you are unhappy with your selling agent the best suggestion we have is to have a discussion with her. Open communication is always the best way to solve issues. However, you are not bound to your listing agent to represent you with the purchase your new home. Good luck!
It sounds to me as though your agent is not meeting your expectations - consider it a thorough interview - failed! As others have confirmed, you do not have to extend the relationship to your purchase. But I do suggest that you have a heart to heart with your listing agent so that your transaction stays on track from this point forward.

Best of luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
You do not have to use the same agent!! Your listing agreement is a contract for the sale of your home and has nothing to do with your purchase. Of course, continuity can be a good thing with regard to coordinating the sale and buy. Having said that, if you find a good agent to represent you in your purchase, that should not be an issue.

You might want to seek out an agent with an ABR® designation. Accredited Buyer’s Representatives (ABR®) stand for the benchmark of excellence in buyer representation.

You can also actually interview buyer's agents to be sure you find someone who is a good fit!

Don't hesitate to reach out if you are considering hiring a buyer's agent in the Freehold area.
You do not have to use the same agent. Especially if you aren't happy with her. Good luck to you!
Hi Cwinke,

I am sorry to hear about your issues with your listing agent. You can use any agent your comfortable with. I would talk to a few agents in the area your planning on moving to.

If you have any other questions, please ffel free to email or call me.

John Meeker
Monmouth/Ocean
732-910-2593
JMeeker@kw.com