Home Selling in Santa Monica>Question Details

Decision, Home Seller in Santa Monica, CA

I'm a p/t agnt w/ smll inde broker who doesn't have an active web presence, should I sell my home with him or go with an outside full

Asked by Decision, Santa Monica, CA Sat Jan 22, 2011

service broker?

Answers

18
If you're questioning the value of your small independent broker with no web presence, how do you think the public is viewing the brokerage?

If you're planning to stay at the brokerage you're currently with, you simply cannot list your own home with anybody else. Just think of the message that you're sending your potential clientelle?!

And if you don't have any confidence in your current brokerage's ability to market your home, then you should leave. It's that simple.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 22, 2011
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Dear Decision:

A web presence is very curtail to the sale of a home. Research shows that most buyers look on the internet for homes, prior to working with an agent. Get the most coverage from your listing by posting it on sites like the MLS, Trulia, Zillow, LA Times, Home Finder, Realtor.com, craigslist...and the list goes on. Your personal website also is key to marketing the property. You can also develop a web stie specific to the property and use the address for the web address address, ie: http://www.123anystreet.com, post pictures and information about your property. And of course, a sign on the property is key, many lookers drive the area they want to be in and take down addresses as they drive. There are also other local and international media types and publications that may be used. If you are looking to get equity out of the property and you are not upside down, this may not be a bad way to go if you are experienced. If your are not, then consider using an outside broker. You can always ask for a referral fee.

On the other hand, if you go with an outside broker, they already have these tools in place, they can market your home faster, more efficiently, get better coverage, network with local agents and possibly achieve multiple offers which may yield a higher return for you.

If you are upside down and have no equity, the questions is...are you ready to do the work?

Feel free to give me a call if you would like to discuss your options further.

Kat Becker
Prudential California Realty
katbecker@hotmail.com
(323) 819-4760
Dear Decision

Statastics are showing that 92% of buyers are using the internet to find properties. The web is the way of the world now. Now with web presence we are always hitting foriegners interested in homes here. Look out for yourself first.
People are going on line to shop for homes, realtors, cars, clothes.... the trend is to sit in the comfort of your home or office and do the research before going anywhere or calling anyone. If your agent isn't present on-line, you will reach far fewer buyers. Furthermore, the fact that any agent doesn't have a strong presense could be an indication they are out of touch.
Dear Decision..
Go with an outside full service broker who has a huge web presence. That's where the business is and has been for quite some time.
Without maximum internet exposure and major market presence you will not attain the highest possible price. This is a tough market. Why would you risk your own home sale?
A web presence is important—and I love the internet, I have had tons of calls from my websites and blog sites—but it should not be the only reason why you choose or not choose a broker/agent to list your home with! There are many other factors involved when choosing a broker/agent to represent you. Has your broker/agent gone over with you his/her marketing plan? How does he/she intend to find a buyer? Or is he/she one of those brokers/agents who just takes listings and doesn’t care if yours sells or not?

Some sellers make the mistake of listing with a so called “top producer” who has hundreds of listings. Those real estate brokers/agents play what we call in the industry: “the numbers game!” They are just interested in having a large inventory: the more number of listings, the more chances of them making money. If they have 100 listings and half of them sell— that’s ok with them—they are still making tons of money. But, what about the other 50% of their sellers—they are left out in the cold. If you think about it: “How could a broker/agent who has hundreds of listings give you the attention you deserve?” Go with a broker/agent that will give you personal service, an independent broker who doesn’t play the numbers game might be a better choice.

Good luck with selling your home and if you need another broker to interview, I would love the opportunity to help you sell your home.

Aida Pinto
Real Estate Broker
Realtor since 1987
(562) 916-3237

Websites:
http://www.ReoLicensedSpecialist.com
http://www.ShortSaleDiva.org

Blogs:
Active Rain Blog
Short Sale Diva Face Book Fan Page
Pinto Realty Face Book Fan Page
Short Sale Diva' s on Blogger.com
Have you consider your own website? Most professional Realtors maintain their own web presences

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
I agree with Alan 100%. It's sort of an odd predicament you're in. Your current company isn't cutting it, so much that you wouldn't even want to list your own house with them!? I would switch firms. I work for a large national company and LOVE the web presence. Good luck!
The fact that you asked this questions shows your doubt. Go with your gut.
Over 80% of buyers start their search online, and probably 99% actively use multiple internet sites to search. You would be short-changing yourself if you went with a limited presence.

Richard Schulman
#1 Listing and Selling Agent
Keller Williams Westside Realty
310-482-0173
http://www.RichardSchulman.com
If you don't think the agency is good enough for your listing, why do you work there? I started as a part time agent and moved to full time after about 6 months. I also work for a small agency, but we do have a web presence and I wouldn't want to work anywhere else!
Web presence is important .The National Association of Realtors has concluded that more than 75% of home buyers begin their searches online. For example, on http://www.117wchannelrd.jodisummers.com we received an offer from a South African buyer because of our web presence.

The brokerage backing the agent is also important. The SoCal Investment Group with Sotheby's International Realty offers tremendous advantages to those wishing to sell their properties through us. With more than 500 offices in 40 countries, Sotheby's International Realty offers a network that provides access to a qualified global client base, and a sales force comprised of the world's most respected and successful agents.

10,000 agents, around the world, trying to sell your property. Presence on dozens of websites.
You can feel confident your property will sell for the highest possible price.

Best….

Jodi Summers
The SoCal Investment Real Estate Group
Sotheby’s International Realty
jodi@jodisummers.com
LICENSE # - 01343854
**
The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions.
—Oliver Wendell Holmes
**
You should interview as many agents and brokers as you can before making your decision. Then decide to go with the one that you feel would fit your desired goals and personality.

there are many aspects to a successful relationship with a real estate professional. Online presence and promotion is just one of them (one that must be a minimum requirement)... others are knowledge of the law, city, proven negotiation skills, building and safety regulation expertise... of course Integrity... but above all competence and putting your interest forefront...

I will be glad to interview for the position without any obligation... Google me or look at my profile here in Trulia...

There are many competent agents and brokers... you owe it to yourself to take your time and make a smart decision with someone you are comfortable with...

Ron Escobar, MBA
Broker & General Contractor
Do you not have MLS access?

If not, why don't you just list it with a discount broker who charges a minimal fee (typically $300 to $900 flat fee in our area). They can put it in the MLS and you'll save the listing side commissions and still get the MLS exposure. Then you can advertise it yourself on different free sites to get additional exposure.
Web Reference: http://www.phgbrokers.com
Does he appear to know his stuff? What does your gut feeling tell you? Because someone has a small business does not mean he is inferior, perhaps he likes it that way. Look at his surroundings and the manner in which he conducts business.
Web Reference: http://www.CAcertified.com
hmmm....kind of an odd question considering you are an agent. If you are second guessing the quality of the marketing of your current (small independent broker), I would suggest selling (and perhaps moving your license) to a broker that you feels will/would get the job done. At any rate, best of luck.
Hello Decision, now-a-days the internet is everything. I tell all my seller's their first showing is really online, then buyers schedule an appointment to see the home. If your broker does not have much online presence, this is going to dramatically decrease the buyers you will receive for your home and ultimately offers you will also receive. Our Company Coldwell Banker has a huge online presence, they syndicate our properties to over 380 websites across the web. If you need any assistance in selling your home, feel free to call me anytime. I specialize in Santa Monica and our office is right on Wilshire.

I look forward to talking to you soon,
Milton Paul
(424)229-0878
2444 Wilshire Blvd. Ste. 102
Santa Monica, CA 90403