Home Selling in Purcell>Question Details

Mary, Home Seller in Purcell, OK

I live in Oklahoma. We had a buyer put a contract on our home and requested we be moved out by 26 May,closing day. They kept putting off closing but

Asked by Mary, Purcell, OK Wed Jun 9, 2010

assured us they still wanted to purchase our home. We have since moved to apartment and this morning our real estate agent recieved an email from them saying they changed their mind. What is our recourse? Can we make them pay for lost time and wages and moving expenses and the penalties we are going to have to pay for breaking year long leases on 2 apartments and deposits and moving expenses back to our house?

Help the community by answering this question:


You need to be asking this question to your Realtor. I do hope you have a listing Realtor on your side? Your next step would be an attorney. This is one of the traps most sellers run into when they sell the house on their own. There are many places in a transaction where the seller can be put in a difficult position with not a lot of protection. Far too often a seller can end up with expenses they were not counting on which ends up leaving them with less money than would have been left after paying commission to a real estate company. Plus, a competent Realtor is there to watch out for his client and advise them in the decision making process.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 30, 2010
It all depends on what the contract states. Invest in a lawyer, and quickly.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 9, 2013
There were numerous red flags. Once the Buyer started putting of the close date, you had no reason to move early. One of the extensions should have been written to reflect this, if you didn't have an extension, you definitely had no obligation to move out early.
I would check with a Real Estate Attorney to see what the alternatives are.
There are way to many unknowns for anyone to able to give you good assistance. Plus, we are not allowed to give legal advice, since we are not attorneys.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 30, 2010
What is your agent advising--and you may wish to consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate, and see exactly what options you may have.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 9, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer