B, Home Owner in New Jersey

I live in NJ, and am about to put our old home in CT up for sale. How can I find an excellent realtor at an arm's length?

Asked by B, New Jersey Thu Jul 12, 2012

Answers

22
Dan Liese’s answer
Hello B;
Whatever you decide i wish you the best in selling your home. Selecting a Realtor is part chemistry, part business and part intuition. Please make sure you only hire someone who is full time, knows your local market area very well, understands and cares about what you want and need from the sale and ask them to offer you a no excuse listing agreement. This allows you for any reason to opt out of the listing (at no cost to you) at any time during the listing. This way the pressure of optimal service is on the Realtor to prove their value to you. I wish you the best and if you would like some help with fundamental questions to ask then drop me a line. You can reach me at 401-742-3216 cell or dan@danliese.com my service area is RI and Southeastern CT.
Regards Dan Liese
Broker/Manager eXp Realty for RI and CT
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 12, 2012
Dear B,
The most important factor in selecting a Realtor and Broker in the area which you are going to list your home is market share. You want to interview at least 2 realtors and Brokers with the top market share in the area that you are about to list. It is imperative that you pick an Agent that is a “top Producer” who knows and sells in your market area. It is also important that you know where and when you home will be marketed. For example, my listings are posted on 350 plus websites including enhanced and upgraded features on Trulia and Realtor.com.
It is also imperative that you prepare your home for sale by de-cluttering, staging, painting and upgrading if required. Your home must stand out above the competition. I have the ability to provide the top Realtors and Brokers in your area. I have helped many buyers and sellers all over the country and can provide the referrals to support this claim. If you would like an unbiased opinion to help you select two or more realtors/Brokers, please contact me. I’d be more than glad to help.
Through May of 2012, I am the top ranked affiliated Coldwell Banker Realtor in the state of Pennsylvania and I help buyers and sellers all over the U.S. and abroad. So please feel free to contact me.

Frank Dolski MBA, ABR, e-PRO
Associate Broker
2010-2011 Coldwell Banker International President’s Circle Award Recipient
CARTUS & SIRVA Certified Relocation Specialist
Previews Luxury Home Specialist
Coldwell Banker Hearthside Realtors
215-803-3237 (mobile)
215-794-1070 x-103
f.dolski@cbhearthside.com
http://www.FrankDolski.Com
Hi Frank, Thank you for your good advice. We did have our house on the market prior to moving and opted to rent. The market has not improved that I am aware of since. I would not return to the same handlers I had last time as I feel confident stronger support is needed now. If you have suggestions of individuals, I would be happy for a recommendation.
Flag Fri Jul 13, 2012
Dear B,

I too think you want to interview several Realtors. You want to view their marketing and how long their listings are on the market and also the sale to price ratio would be good too.
Read their testimonials, look at how many sales they have had. You want a experienced agent and someone you can communicate easily with. I also recommend picking an agent who is with a recognized firm and top in the area of where the house is to be sold. That is why I am (our team) is with William Ravies Real Estate. We have consistently stayed #1 in Fairfield County. I would love to speak with you and share with you our marketing ideas, including visual tours and lots of photos!
Good photos! Not dark and dreary! We are Realtors who care and work for our clients every day of the week and that is why we are one of the top 100 in Raveis and one of the top teams in our town.Our tag line is A House-SOLD Name and it is so very true.
Why not give us a call 203 247 3763

Susan Hanson
Hanson Realty Group
William Raveis
Member of Chairmen's Elite
Top 5 Member

Plus I am a 3rd generation Realtor.
Hi B in New Jersey--Where is your home in CT? I can highly recommend me. I work a partner, my husband--and we are very good at what we do and are brokers and have been in the business for many years. I am also a State Director on the Board of Realtors. If I can help you, please feel free to contact me at 203-856-9383. Mary Ann Laurita, Prudential CT Realty
My company and I cover the shoreline in CT from Greenwich to R.I.. I have been in Real Estate for over 27 years and have always been a top producer in all my areas of concentration.
My best advice to you is to see who is best equipped to get he job done. By that I mean who is the most active in the area of the home. Please do not go by who is best marketing themselves. It has been my experience that many agents that are great at getting their own picture all over the map rarely have the numbers behind them to get the actual job done. Ask for spreadsheets directly from the board of realtors as to who has sold the most in that area and you will find that this should be the agent you need to work with in order to get the job done. Isn't that what this field is all about?
Thanks for you time.

Michael J. Pappa
Diplomat Homes, LLC
http://www.diplomathomes.com
mikepappa1@gmail.com
PS: I would love to handle this for you if you have not hired anyone yet.
Professionalism, knowledge and experience are invaluable. Passion always an asset. Thank you all for your responses. I am sifting through. Regards.
Hello B,

Seems like you've received a lot of advice and good information. I am a Norwalk Realtor, Owner-Broker of my firm so when you do business with Cappello Realty, I personally oversee every and all transactions. I have a long and established presence in the Fairfield County marketplace and specialize in Norwalk. I am also a native to Norwalk with my family having deep roots in this wonderful city, thus, I bring great local knowledge to the table.

I believe that the cream rises to the top with every profession. You just need to talk and communicate and most importantly, listen to your client's wants & wishes. I pride myself in going the extra step and client satisfaction is my #1 priority. My business is built upon referrals and long standing relations with my clients long after the sale has closed.

I wish you all the best and welcome the opportunity to discuss your real estate needs further and most importantly, I hope to earn your business.

Kind regards,
Linda Cappello
Now, now Joe - learn how things work here at trulia before critiquing someone!

"B" awarded Frank the "Best Answer" for this thread - and the best answer is now pushed to the top of the responses ........all the time....on every thread.

Frank did not "pay" for anything........he gave an answer that the poster thought was most valuable!
Joe - glad to see you have a sense of humor, too, as it is a major asset in this business!

I went into this business at an "early" age, too, but that was 27 years ago!

:)

Continued success..........

I am in NJ, so I have no skin in this race........B - lots of luck, and have a great weekend!!
Dear B.
While very often I hear people suggest to pick the agent who has the best market share, sells a lot in your area or works for the biggest broker and has the most listings, I am of the opinion that an agent who can devote trime to his or her clients is the one who will give you the most personalized service and pay the most attention to your needs. Obviously you should talk with more than one agent. But you will know who to trust when you meet the right one. And trust is the key. Also don't be enamored with an agent that tells you what you want to hear. Pick the one who will tell you truth. I have lost listings to other agents because they told the client their house was worth more that it really was. When I follow those listings, invariably the listing price gets down to the reality of market numbers but a lot of time has been wasted. Best of luck in your quest. If I can help please contact me any time.
I used to be a Realtor in Connecticut and I know some excellent Realtors there, so if you would like me to give you some names, please don't hesitate to call me at 423-424-8693.
Just have to add my 2 cents again....(totally tongue in cheek)
Hey!

@ Joe: "Use the youngest Realtor in this area; taking the market by storm by leveraging social media, new technology..."

Use the youngest?

Well, Joe, don't underestimate us "OLDER" agents!

We actually know how to use this darn thing called the internet ...and text.... and tweet....and upload digital photos...... and even have facebook pages, too!

We even know how to TALK to people in person.....make eye contact and smile!
So there!

We also (hopefully) have a whole bunch of excellent knowledge and experience we bring to the table, on top of those honed skills!

:)

(Let's hear it for older people!)
Hi Debbie,
Thank you for your first post and I smile with the second.
Flag Fri Jul 13, 2012
Easy answer: Use the youngest Realtor in this area; taking the market by storm by leveraging social media, new technology, and working hard for every client. My confidence is supported by my results. Have a great day!

-Joe Balestriere
William Raveis Real Estate
203-216-0670
Hi B.:
I'll be happy to meet with you at your home to provide a price opinion and marketing for your property. After that initial meeting (given that NJ is a neighboring state) we can conduct our plan of working together through email and phone. I can assure you that you will be fully informed of everything happening with your property. You may view my website at bcleland.prudentialct.com and call me at 203-246-4156.

Best wishes in your home selling process and enjoy your day!
Barbara Cleland, Prudential CT Realty
We are in lower Fairfield County. We are in the top 100 of the company and #2 in our town.
We would love to help you. I am a third generation Realtor and truly believe in treating all my clients as family.
Give us a call...I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

203 247 3763

Susan & Steve
Hello B,
I am interested to learn more about your property as a buyer not a broker. Even though I am pretty, pretty, pretty good. :))) Please let me know ctbrokers@optonline.net
I would highly recommend Dan Liese if your home is in south eastern CT. His number is 401-742-3216.
Hi "B"

Question - do you personally know any agents here in NJ?

Just a thought ........If you have an agent you know and trust, they can always help you find a referral agent in CT.........

Best wishes!
Hi B,
The best way is to interview a couple of agents and hear what they have to say. I complete a comparable market analysis for you and sit with you to show you the results. This will show you the comparable properties and what price they are selling for. We give you our opinion as to current market value of your home. I provide my marketing strategy to acheive maximum value in a reasonable time frame. Do this with a couple of agents and then pick the one you like best. No obilgation until you pick someone. I've been doing this 14 years and am very good at what I do. Give me a call. Best, Mark
Mark Namm
Prudential Connecticut Realty
mnamm@prudentialct.com
http://www.mnamm.prudentialct.com
mobile 203-858-5398
Hi B -
Real estate is a question of integrity, trust, experience and local knowledge – whether your selling or buying in your hometown or in a town where you don’t live. The principals remain the same. I would suggest making a top 10 question hit list of all the important things you want to accomplish with this transaction – and it’s not just price. Then call a few agents, run down the questions and compare the answers. You’ll likely get a good feeling for who’s right and who’s, well, maybe not so right for your specific needs. Be wary of the “big pitch” to get you to sign an exclusive contract; make whomever you choose earn your trust and then your business. Take your time to find someone who will help you to understand this market, where it’s been and where it’s going with respect to your property. There are lots of options out there and a qualified agent that has your best interests front and center is always a good decision. If I can help you, please don’t hesitate. I hope this helps – cheers.

Stephan von Jena
William Pitt Sotheby’s International Realty
147 Rowayton Ave.
Norwalk, CT 06853
Mobile # 203-434-8472
svonjena@wpsir.com
http://www.stephanvonjena.com

Proudly serving the Norwalk/Rowayton, Darien and New Canaan markets.

“Artfully uniting extraordinary homes with extraordinary lives!”
Hi B,
You select an excellent Realtor by the amount of business they transact and how you 'click' with them. You don't want a part-time agent or some friend of friend who doesn't do much business. I say this because when an agent works for you, you want them to be a real worker with a great track record. Also it is important to have good chmistry because you will likely interact with your agent regularly and want to work with someone who you like.
I have listings in Norwalk and have recently sold homes in the area. I would be happy to discuss the property that you wish to sell and give you my honest pricing opinion and a plan on how to get it sold. I am a top producer with a team of support agents and we are very serious about getting homes sold at the best possible price for our clients!
Feel free to call me anytime, I work 24/7!
Lisa Jones
"Golden Key Achiever" with over $50Million in recent real estate transactions
203-218-6664
LJones@HigginsGroup.com
Hi Lisa,
I checked out your profile on the Higgins site and see you are also a native Rhode Island girl. It's always fun to find that connection. I enjoyed reading your work profile which shows you are multi-faceted, and your work mind set comes through.
Given your usual clients are seeking luxury homes, I don't know that my home in Norwalk would fit into your client wish list. It is a one-family home that sits on a 1/2-acre corner lot in South Norwalk. My tenants have bought a home in Westport after three years with us and their contract runs through mid-August. Would you be interested in discussing?
Regards, B
Flag Fri Jul 13, 2012
Hi B,

That is a tough question to answer.

Basically you need to speak with someone who you feel can help you, and you need to feel very comfortable with them in order to make selling a home out of town a success.

I am an agent in your Norwalk zip code and would be happy to talk with you more about your situation.

I have helped many people in different situations, including people from out of town who I only spoke with on the phone, or emailed, but didn't meet.

Check out some of my testimonials from my clients: http://norwalkrealestatetodd.com/testimonials

Feel free to contact me any time and I'd be happy to go over some of your potential options!

Todd Turcotte

http://norwalkrealestatetodd.com/