Home Selling in Goodyear>Question Details

Pam, Other/Just Looking in West Phoenix Estates,...

I live in Mi. If I buy a house in Estrella mountain ranch will it be safe if I leave it unattended, and also will it be expensive to keep it cool ?

Asked by Pam, West Phoenix Estates, Buckeye, AZ Sun Jun 24, 2012

Answers

8
Jennie Miller, Pllc’s answer
I would recommend that you have an alarm system installed on the house and have a neighbor house-sit for you or hire a home tending service if the home will be empty for extended periods of time. If you have the address of a particular house you are considering, you can call the utility company and ask for the high and low bills over the last 12 months.
I see in my earlier answer I did not address the safety of the neighborhood. This is the question many buyers want to know, and the question agents aren’t allowed to answer by law. I want to answer all your questions, but disclosing details about crime, racial makeup and other details about neighborhoods is a big no-no for agents. With new internet crime mapping tools, you have direct access to crime reporting resources at my website http://centralazhomes.com/az-home-buyer-resources/phoenix-ne…

I and my Buyers really like this community. Because Estrella Mountain Ranch is off the beaten path, you don't usually get strangers driving through. If you are concerned you can always get an alarm system. Another way it to make friends with your neighbors and have them keep an eye out when you are gone. Also use your landscaper, cleaning people and pool people to report any problems. These methods work to stay in touch while enjoying peace of mind when gone.

Loren Hoboy-Realtor
Central AZ Real Estate
LHoboy@centralAZhomes.com
Your Local Expert
623-688-0004
Drop me a line...I'm selling my house and I can answer your qs.

nestorb98@yahoo.com
Hi Pam,
The best thing is to contact Goodyear PD and ask them about the crime rate so you get a general idea of Goodyear's crime rate compared to other cities. While no area is crime free there are many precautions you can take when you you live here full time or not. The simpliest is to make friends with your neighbors so they know when you're here or gone and can have contact with you. This is a limited option as it will not necessarily help with a break-in before the fact but can definitely help. For something more secure, I would suggest having an alarm system put in that is tied to a local company so they can call the police in an event of a break-in. This would give you peace of mind both when you're here and away.

I have many friends and clients who live here in Goodyear part time and this is what they're done which will help lessen your concerns.

As for the a/c - no matter how you look at it we will always pay more for the a/c in the summer months but you can do some things that may reduce your costs. When you aren't here in the summer months I would recommend you put the thermosat up higher but never turn it off. Just as in the winter areas of the US, it is never recommended to turn off the heat due to frost and breaking pipes, we don't recommend turning off the a/c in the summer but instead turning it up high. When you're here, you would have it at your comfort level. The best thing to do is when you are looking at a home that you want to buy, is to contact APS and thye will give you a cost estimate as well as what you can do to reduce your bill. They will also come out to your home and do an energy inspection for free.

And, by the way, you will be among many who travel back and forth from Goodyear to their home state! Goodyear is a great place to live and I'm sure you will enjoy it!

If you have time please check out my website for estrella mountain ranch at:

http://estrellamountainhomesforsale.solutionsagentsites.com

If you need a Realtor, please feel free to contact me at 623 256-9480 or email me at SusanLutzRealtor@gmail.com. I will be happy to set up a portal of homes for you and answer any questions you have.

All my best! Susan
Susan Lutz, GRI
Solutions Real estate
623 256-9480 cell
SusanLutzRealtor@gmail.com
http://susanlutz.solutionsagentsites.com
SusanLutz.SearchArizonaHouses.com http://pebblecreekhomesingoodyear.solutionsagentsites.com
Good Morning Pam

There is a community website for Estrella Mountain Ranch that is very informative. http://www.lifeinestrella.com
The community contact Shirley at srobertson@ccmcnet.com or 623-386-1112 can likely best answer your questions on crime rate if any in Estrella Mountain Ranch.

Many preventative measures, such as the good neighbor, house alarm, block watch can help keep your home safe.

As for keeping it cool, the cost is measured on use, personal comfort temperature, what you keep your thermastat at, how enery efficient your home is, and the size of your home, etc.
Keeping thermastat cooling off when you are not around is always an option.

If you are not working with a Realtor, I would be happy to further assist you and answer any questions that you may have. I have alot of client that are investors/2nd home buyer. I am also a resident of GOODYEAR and I love it.

Patricia Van Houten
Diamondback Realty
602-323-7777
realtorpatty@q.com
To answer the cooling questions. Some people do shut the A/C unit off when they are not there, but I don't recommend that. With no A/C and no ventilation temperatures can exceed 120F doing possible damage to plastic parts, plastic blinds, paint, pictures and more.

Close the blinds/shutters inside. Have your sun screens installed. Then setting the A/C temperature to 95F will cut the power bill by 50-75% over the normal set point of 82F and will still protect the home against heat damage.

A 2300ft2 home built after 2000 with two people and running at 82 degrees in the summer cost me on the average $136 month (1632/yr). Most of that cost is in the summer is for A/C. At 95F that number will come down significantly.

If you want to cut the A/C cost even more , blowing more insulation in to the attic is well worth the cost. And today , generating your own electricity with solar panels is now worth the money. You can even get solar panels installed for 0% down. I just got a system that will eliminate my electric bill. Check out the program at http://centralazhomes.com/az-home-buyer-resources/generate-y… and get $500 cash .

Loren Hoboy-Realtor
Central AZ Real Estate
LHoboy@centralAZhomes.com
Your Local Expert
623-688-0004
We have a lot of folks who live here part time and I haven't heard of any major issues while left vacant. It is best to have someone check on things 2-3 times a month or more.

If you leave the temp set at 90 or so, it probably will cost about 1/3 to 1/2 what an occupied house will cost you. That's a rough guess with many variables such as what you keep house set at, what you set vacant temp at, direction house faces, etc.
Pam,

As Realtors, we cant actually answer the question directly thanks to Federal law. What I can do is send you to our webpage with Crime Statistics (also explains why I cant directly answer the questions) so you can see the nature of thing in that neighborhood. http://centralazhomes.com/az-home-buyer-resources/phoenix-ne…

A number of premier communities like Estrella Mountain Ranch have "snowbird" residents that are here only part of the year. There are a few things that you can do to reduce any perceived risk. Get to know your neighbors and ask them to keep an eye your house. Make sure that newspapers and advertising flyers don't build up in-front of he house indicating that it is vacant. If you have a pool or lawn service, have the service people keep an eye on things and report back to you. And last, active the alarm system to discourage problems. You should be just fine. You will really like this community.

Loren Hoboy-Realtor
Central AZ Real Estate
LHoboy@centralAZhomes.com
Your Local Expert
623-688-0004