Home Selling in 63025>Question Details

 Belle, Real Estate Pro in Mehlville, MO

I listed my house recently. My agent's husband is a builder. I'm interested in the display. She is an agent for him too. How do I submit?

Asked by Belle, Mehlville, MO Mon May 23, 2011

a bid? I just listed my house recently with a real estate agent I was referred to, whom I really like. It turns out her husband is a builder and I'm interested in one of the new properties -- the display-- for sale. My agent also represents him through her real estate company (the same company that my house is listed with). How do I submit a bid on the property in my best interest?

Help the community by answering this question:


In MO, the buyer, the seller and the Realtor all have to agree before the Realtor can represent both sides as a dual agent. In most cases, the Realtor stays with the seller when one of the 3 disagrees to the dual agency because they typically know more about the house then the buyer.

If your current agent is the one who showed you the builder's displays first, then she might be due the commision or at least a partial commission as the procurring cause, so you need to make sure that if you use a second agent they know the first agent was involved, so the first agent doesn't sue the second agent. I would talk to her first, and just let her know that you aren't sure that you are comfortable having her represent both sides and are considering using a different agent and how would she handle it.
Web Reference: http://www.YourSTLhome.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 23, 2011
It sounds like you're complicating this: If you trust her, use her. If you don't, find another Realtor. She is probably totally capable of doing both.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 23, 2011
Carefully. In most cases your agent already knows enough information about you to use it against you, but she is also contractually obligated to look out for your interests on your sale.
I don't know the policies or procedures for MO, but this could be a dual agency scenario or she could represent you on the sale and the builder/husband on the purchase or she could refer you to another agent.
She would have a lot on the line to make sure she does everything properly, the risks are high, but it could be done. Tell her what you are contemplating and ask her how she would suggest you proceed.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 23, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer