Home Selling in Green Bay>Question Details

Helpgb, Home Seller in Green Bay, WI

I large have a galley kitchen. My realtor tells all clients to knock a wall out. Should I ask her to stop? I think she is scaring clients.

Asked by Helpgb, Green Bay, WI Mon Mar 12, 2012

The kitchen is a good size galley kitchen but there are no windows in it. I have tons of lighting in there to help. I'm worried that when she tells her clients to knock out the wall that it makes the project look big. The wall would be easy to take out but shouldn't most people come to that conclusion on their own? I don't want to step on her toes.

Answers

10
Ron Thomas’ answer
Gosh, she shouldn't be giving her opinion, particularly when it is pointing out things that are wrong with the place.
If she can't concentrate on the positive, she should not say anything.

Good luck and may God bless
I think it depends on whether she's responding to objections raised or if she's telling prospective buyers this right away without having heard the concern raised. If she's volunteering this as information unsolicited I think you can ask her to stop since you want to focus on everything that's positive with your home rather than highlight what could be perceived as a negative. I hope this helps, every realtor has his or her own selling techniques and without knowing more about the specific situation it's hard to say any more. Good Luck to you in the selling process.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 12, 2012
If she is responding to objections related to the kitchen then you want her to make sure the buyers know they have options but if she is offering it before there is even an objection then yes, I would ask her to wait until the buyers object before planting a seed in their heads that there is something wrong with it.
I would market your property in the degree of what attracted you to your very property. I allow the buyers to imagine there own projects.
You don't say how long your home has been on the market, but my guess is that your agent is probably far more aware of the competition with other properties. All properties are trade-offs on different issues. Very few properties are exactly what a buyer wants. Buyers have to evaluate what is the best overall project for them to get the closest thing to what they want. Often first time buyers don't know how to visualize a home remodeled. You agent needs to add to her comments, how much money they can save by remodeling your home rather than buying something all done. But in the meanwhile, maybe you should sit down with your agent and brainstorm together what things will make your home more sellable! Out here in California, it's not just a matter of lighting. Young people who are first time buyers want the kitchen and family room as a "great room", so that the cook can enjoy the videos, not be cut off from company, etc. If your home is more than twenty years old, it has design obscelence and your agent is trying to show how easily your home can be upgraded and worth more with very little effort.
Surely your Realtor has good intentions - however, your Realtor is someone you trust to represent you and is currently helping you with one of your greatest investments. You can definitely tell them what is on your mind, and you should feel comfortable bringing concerns to them.

You can say it nicely, but directly, "I completely understand why you may be telling people to knock this wall out, but I have seen some perplexed reactions. Would it be okay to tell people that, only if they inquire about making the kitchen bigger?"
Nina makes a great point.

If the potential buyer is bringing up the subject, then I'm sure your agent is just trying to let them know that there are options. The only thing I wish to add is that she must be sure that this is something that can be done. There could be issues preventing the knock out of this wall such as plumbing, electric or the fact that it may be a supporting wall.
She may just trying to help buyer to visualize what they looking for. Generally agents know better than sellers what to say and what not. Be careful tell her how to do her job, she may doing it well. After all, you are not present at the showings, so you don’t have details...
Web Reference: http://www.marinasolo.com
Is she providing this opinion freely to everyone or is it in response to when a buyer complains about the size or layout of the kitchen? It's difficult to judge without knowing more information about this and the exact manner in which she is expressing her idea. If the a buyer has ruled out the property because of the kitchen, then it might be a good idea to provide options and open the buyer's mind to other possibilities.

Oggi Kashi
Broker Associate, Paragon Real Estate Group CA DRE 01844627
All data from sources deemed reliable but subject to errors and omissions, and not warranted.
She should not even bring it up unless, the kitchen is an objection to the sale. And even then it should just be a small suggestion, but not before she mentions all the positives about the home.
How you know, you are not selling houses, you are selling loans!
Flag Thu Mar 15, 2012