Home Selling in Plainfield>Question Details

janelldreyfus, Home Seller in Plainfield, IL

I know that I am moving in June 2014. When should I put my house on the market?

Asked by janelldreyfus, Plainfield, IL Sun Apr 14, 2013

Answers

9
Have an agent come out at the end of summer to show you what the market conditions are for your immediate area. They will be able to show you what homes have sold for that most compare to yours. The market conditions have improved this year since last in your area but by next summer that can change. It may continue to improve, plateau or drop from this year. The important thing is that you will have a good idea of what you can start doing to help prepare your home for sale sooner rather than later. The more time you take to help prepare it for sale the easier it will be on you. By early 2014 the agent will again come out and view your home to see how things are moving along. At that time they will know when to put you on the market and a listing price will be established. It was a great question. Good luck!
Hello Moving in 2014:)

I would definately contact a real estate professional now so they can make sure your home is in the best marketable condition possible when the time comes.

The second thing I would do as soon as possible is contact an experienced mortgage banker who can get you properly prepared to finance your next home. Good mortgage advice is extremely beneficial and will make your next mortgage process smooth & stress free!

Contact me for a Free Pre-Qualification/Pre-Approval at your convenience.

Fred Turk
1st Advantage Mortgage
Email: fred.turk@1amllc.com

Thank you!
You should consider putting your house on the market immediately!
If your home is priced accurately, the market is hopping right now! It is important that you are working with a Realtor that will time this appropriately and help you find a new home to purchase while simultaneously selling yours. This is when hiring a Realtor with experience is key!

Because of how fast the market is moving it is important to be clear on your wants and needs and be actively looking the second you put your house on the market!
You might want to wait depending on the value of your house and its condition. Please call me. I sold a home in Plainfield and one in Bollingbrook in less than two months. Tonia Dewaele Ryan hill Realty. 630-306-5219
You want to list it about 6 or 7 months before you move ideally. It will take a few months to sell than 30-60 days to close once someone has a contract on it. If you list it too soon, you might have to move into a temporary home. If its too late, you might have to move before your house is sold. What will determine how fast your house sells is the price and its condition.

George Scapellato
Broker/Associate
15255 S. 94th Ave., Suite 500 | Orland Park IL 60462
Atlantic & Pacific Real Estate (US), LLC
http://apreus.com/Agent/1009/George-Scapellato
708 207-8246
Work backwards from your desired moving date. June 2014 is a ways off. Unless you want to jump into temporary housing listing anytime this year is not a good idea.

Part of your listing date will depend on where/how you are moving. If you are going into a rental situation on the other end, and don't need the money right away, you have more flexibility.

In really general terms you should look to list your home 2.5-3 months prior to when you want to move. This would assume a) a good market, b) a 30-45 days on market timeframe, c) a 30-45 day closing. Trying to time selling your home to coincide with moving out is very difficult and down right impossible. The more flexibility you have, the better off you will be.

The final decision is really going to depend on a lot of factors, but at a high level I would say talk to agents in winter and have them help determine the appropriate timing. If the market is as strong as it is right now, I would say a March listing would be perfect for a single family home that is priced well and in good condition.

Geoff Ommen
Broker Baird & Warner
847-271-2622
geoff.ommen@bairdwarner.com
http://www.geoffgetsit.com
The market is extremely active right now, but it really depends on your price range. Inventory for homes under $300k is extremely low and the market time is very short. If your home is above $300k, then the market time is much longer. You are welcome to contact me at 630-447-0247 to go over all your options.
The market is very hot right know, I would suggest you put the home on the market this month. Please call me to discuss. I would be delighted to swing by and give you a free market analysis of your home and discuss what is happening in your market place.

You can reach me at 630.674.6547

Hope to hear from you soon.

Have a great day.

Dan Firks
RE/MAX