Home Selling in Saint Paul>Question Details

Tim, Home Seller in Saint Paul, MN

I know my roof needs to be replaced before I sell my question is can i do it myself I was a roofer for about 5 years but the Realtor. said I have to

Asked by Tim, Saint Paul, MN Sun Jun 6, 2010

have a certified roofing company do it is this true? I should be able to doit myself and have it inspected right?

Answers

12
Manu Kapoor’s answer
You could do it your self AND get it inspected. Just check with your realtor if it is listed with him, as to what is he saying when he shows the property. Very Imp to disclose proper condition.
Tim.

There is a couple of answers to this question -

1) if your not under contract with a buyer- you can roof your own home and depending on your city you might have to have it inspected.

2) if your under contract with a buyer - you need to read what your purchase agreement states. Many times it will say by a certified or licensed professional and you will have to bring the receipt to the closing table as proof.
Tim.

You should be able to do this. As the home owner you can do most work on your own home. check with the city to be sure, and pull the proper permits.
Tim, part of what we do as agents is to educate our clients about their levels of risk in a real estate transaction. From there, it's up to the client to decide at what level of risk they feel comfortable. Some people tolerate a higher level of risk better than others, just like with any investing.

Perhaps this agent of whom you speak is trying to advise you about the risks of doing it yourself. As long as you're alright with obtaining the proper permits and the possibility of being held liable for roofing issues that may arise for a certain period of time even after the closing, then go for it. I don't know for sure, but your agent may have been trying to help you hedge your bets by allowing a professional roofing contractor to deal with the new owner if there should be any problems.
Tim,

I noticed that you said "the realtor" rather than "my realtor." It could be just a matter of semantics but that would lead me to believe that the realtor you are talking about is not the agent that is representing you. Post back and let me know because there is plausible answer either way, but this is a fairly divergent point.

Cameron Piper
Web Reference: http://www.campiper.com
I dont see any reason why you would need to have a company do your roof, as a homeowner if you occupy the property you can pull your own permit and do the roof.
Web Reference: http://www.lennyfrolov.com
Tim,

If your property is homesteaded in Ramsey County (which I am guessing it is) you have every right to do the work yourself. You can perform any work that you want so long as proper permits are pulled and all required inspections are completed. You would only need to have a licensed person perform this work if this was not a homesteded primary residense. If you would like to double check that you have homestead classification for your property, go to the website: http://rrinfo.co.ramsey.mn.us/public/characteristic/index.aspx
This database will give you your property information online.
On the left hand side of that webpage you will see a number of links. Select "2010 Value Notice" and when this document opens, look about 1/3rd of the way down the page under "property classification". There you should find the abbreviation "Res Hstd" for Residential Homestead. If you find that...."you're golden" Best of luck and I hope the weather's good!
Adam Duckwall (Realtor with Edina Realty in St. Paul)
As Dan suggests you need to check this out. However, it is more likely to be a City ordinance as opposed to a state statute. Call the City building code people tomorrow and see what needs to be done. I would think at a minimum permits would need to be pulled.

It's not your Realtor that needs to prove this one way or the other. It is your responsibility to check out the rules and regs for a new roof. The question has been raised so for your own piece of mind double check this yourself.

Steele
I would sure do it myself. I would ask the realtor to show you the law (from the state legislature) that says you can not install your own roof. If no such law exists put it on yourself. WHY waste money?
In most cases, they want a certified roofer in case there are problems after the sale.