Home Selling in Holmdel>Question Details

Your Wife, Home Buyer in Colts Neck, NJ

I keep our house clean and neat, whether showing or not. And after showing, I touch up the home.

Asked by Your Wife, Colts Neck, NJ Fri Aug 10, 2012

But I am growing weary of scrubbing after a few awful ones. The worst occurred in May, when a realtor touched many surfaces with his bloody finger. You can imagine my horror --- as well as anger and frustration. Cleaning and sanitizing for days on end did not erase this from my mind. We did not receive a proper apology from the offending realtor --- just a pathetic fruit basket weeks later, after our realtor chastised him. And upon returning from vacation today, we found our house in poor condition after a showing. The slider door to our yard was left unlocked and urine was splashed on our upstairs toilet. While I know that our presence during a showing could be a turn-off to potential buyers, I feel that it would undoubtedly curb actions that are unsafe and repulsive. Now that we have been burned, so to speak, twice, isn't it within my right as a seller to request that all showings take place while my husband and/or I are present?

Answers

11
Hi. A better suggestion is to have your listing agent be present during all showings..She or he can keep things under control for your satisfiction. When sellers are present it makes the buyers uneasy.. Good luck.

Diane. Agent. 732 859 2376
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 11, 2012
We actually used a house cleaning service in Miami FL when our house was on the market. They did a great job and it kept stress levels down for me. You might consider doing that.
Web Reference: http://www.myboostpages.com
That is very unusual and most realtors are courteous when showing homes . However, I can't speak for all of them. Based on your past experience I would suggest that if you can't be present when your home is being shown then request your listing agent to accompany all showings.
You have every right to be present for all showings or have your agent be present for showings if you are not available. Since Starr and I are partners, it is better for us to handle buyers. Sometimes the group gets split up or children wander, Starr shows the home and I make sure all doors are locked and keep the group together. Selling a home is very stressful, however, this should be over soon and you can go back to your normal life. Best of luck! Karen and Starr
Your wife,
Let me start by offering my apologies. As a Realtor I too find it apalling to have to hear these types of stories . . . things like this should not happen, but unfortunately they do . . . as it makes me as the listing agent just as upset as my client.

Yes, you have every right to be present during showings. However, I do agree with your Realtor that it is not the best option for a timely sale for the reasons I am sure he/she has already discussed.

Before deciding to be present at every showing, I would ask you to weigh the overall number of showings against the # of bad experiences and then decide if the good outweigh the bad.

I’d also ask your agent to communicate your bad experiences to the agents showing next so that they understand the importance of keeping a tight ship on their clients. AND have him/her place in the listing “DO NOT USE THE TOILETS”.

Stay strong, selling a home is never easy.
As the owner of the property you have the right to be present, however I'd speak with my Realtor, as it's likely that being there will be counter productive. Buyers don't like it. If you are going to require that you or your husband be present for all showing, be discreet and do not follow them around the house.

Realtors reading this should take note, when showing property we are in essence invading their personal space and we should always be particularly aware of the trust that's being extended to us and our buyers and should respect this.
It is unfortunate that both the Realtor and the perspective buyers did not respect your home as you do. It is our jobs as Realtors to make sure that your home is lesft in the same way that we found it. As far as being there for showings, I would just keep my distance, sit in the yard and it may not be a bad thing as people will ask you questions. Just do not be in the house or follow them around as they will quickly leave. Good luck on all future showings!
You have the option of being present.....just keep your distance, do not follow them around and answer questions when your realtor gives you the green light. Otherwise, if your realtor is not present refer all questions to him/her.
Unlike many others, I do not believe in keeping buyer and seller apart. To know each other somewhat gives a better sense of who you are dealing with and sometimes makes others easier to accept or to make (assuming they like each other). The advice you have been given about being there is right on. Maybe with you in the home, they will be more careful. I have learned to watch for doors that are opened, remember them, and to check them when we are ready to leave.
It's ok to be home when you have a showing but don't follow them around,
Also don't limit your showings because you are not available.
another option lower your price so you might sell sooner.
Ask your Realtor if there is anything else you can do to sell you home sooner.
I like Debbie's Advice too
It's your house - you can certainly be home.

I never tell my sellers they must leave the home when it is bering shown......

What I do tell them is.........make yourself invisible, and whatever you do....do NOT follow the agent around when the house is being shown.....and..... speak only when spoken to!