Question Details

Susan Browner, Home Buyer in New Jersey

I its Susan My house had been showned a lot But never by my agent or anyone from his office! tHAT IS WHY IM

Asked by Susan Browner, New Jersey Fri May 9, 2008

UPSET & WANT TO Cancel my contact I think im stuck . with this dead beat agent

Answers

4
Susan, ALL realtors would love to sell their own listings but that is usually not how it works. We are at the mercy of the objectives of the buyers we work with. (price range, location, age, school district, etc...)

It might be noted also that in many markets around the country there are far more sellers than there are buyers, but things seem to be improving. (In my market area anyway)

The benefit of using a realtor who participates with a Multiple Listings Service is that you have not just the listing broker working to find a buyer, but ALL of the brokers who participate in the MLS. This is the foundation behind the existance of MLS.

The national real estate market is challenged by a soft economy and an election year. I am sure your agent is just as motivated to get your home sold as you are. Realtor's overhead can be VERY high with the fuel, insurance, marketing expenses, association fees & dues, and continuing education requirements. A realtor's overhead continues whether they are selling property or not. This keeps career people VERY motivated.

Good luck on your showing activities, and I hope you get a contract soon!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 9, 2008
Hi Susan. It's not uncommon for a listing agent not to be the one who shows your house. There are agents out there who focus only on marketing their listings, but they hardly ever show their own listings because they don't have the time to spend with buyers as they are busy with marketing their listings. Many listing agents have their own buyers' agents who do nothing but show listings and work with buyers. Since your house is shown a lot, it looks like your agent is doing a good job at marketing your property and may not deserve being called a "dead beat agent." In the end, you care that your house will sell for the price you want and you really don't care whether it's your agent who brings you the buyer. As a matter of fact, you may prefer that the buyer be represented by his/her own agent to avoid any potential for a conflict of interest. If you do have concerns about your agent not doing his job, I would encourage you to discuss your concerns with him and if necessary with his broker. Stay focused on getting your house sold and not who sells it. Good luck to you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 9, 2008
Ute Ferdig -…, Real Estate Pro in Newcastle, CA
Susan, I agree with all the previous answers and would like to add my 2 cents. Kudos to your agent for all your showings. However, is your frustration displaced because you aren't getting any offers with all those showings? You might want to discuss this with your wonderful agent. Yes, this is a buyer's market and there are a lot of tire kickers out there, but are you doing everything necessary to draw a viable buyer? Are you priced right or has your agent been asking you to lower your price? Do you have curb appeal? Is your home neat, clean and uncluttered when the buyers do come? Be open and honest with your agent. Let him/her know how you are feeling. Good Luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 10, 2008
Ute is right. Also it is important to think of your agent as you representative. This is the person who has an obligation to you to help you get the highest and best price for your property. If your agent is doing everything his market plan said he would, then you have a good agent. Relax. Let him work for you to market the property, secure a buyer, negotiate with the buyer, represent your interests and get the transaction closed. Good luck.