Home Selling in Raleigh>Question Details

Christine Fi…, Renter in Apex, NC

I have renters in my home. Is it possible to list my home with renters in there. There is no current lease.

Asked by Christine Filippo, Apex, NC Sun Sep 15, 2013

4422 cottage stone drive, Raleigh, nc
10 year old townhome, good condition
3 brm,2.5 bath. ,

Answers

10
Christine,

Short answer, "Yes."

As usual, the devil is in the details.

Gain the cooperation of the tenant prior to listing. Offer some free rent after contract, etc, to get the tenant on board. If your tenant is not cooperative, your listing showings and sales will not be smooth.
Tenants often refuse showings, particularly if they do not want to move out.
And they may not keep the house up, so it will not show well.
At worst, they may stay for showings and make it a point to show all the bad points of the house to scuttle a sale.
So, before proceeding, have a plan to get the tenant on board.

Be ready to deliver a vacant home at closing, i.e,, unless it is being sold for investment potential, and the new owner desires a tenant, no one wants to inherit a tenant in place.

Keep in mind basic fairness. It IS the tenant's residence, and their tenancy and rent payment offers them a right of quiet enjoyment of the premises.
At minimum, you want buyers to give a full 24 hour notice, without exception, out of respect for the tenant.

But, with all that in mind, Yes, you can list your home for sale, and can sell it.
.http://RealtyArts.com
.
.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 15, 2013
Yes it is possible! Feel free to contact me so that I can further assist you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 15, 2013
It is your house, of course you can. Keep in mind though, that from personal experience, some tenants, especially ones who do not want to leave, will make showings difficult. It could effect a sale ever taking place
Yes, you can list your property with tenants living in the property but they sometimes make showings difficult. You should speak with them and come up with an agreement for them to make the home available and presentable for showings.
Hi Christine,
Yes, you can list with renters. I can help my e-mail is pminore@fmrealty.com. Thanks!
Yes and I can talk you through the process.

Jim Howard
919.448.6111
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 15, 2013
Would your townhouse be attractive to investors? If so, they often prefer having it already rented. Much of this depends on the price you want for your house. You could start by working with the tenants and list the house for investors. See what bites you get. If that doesn't work, re-list it to appeal to owner occupants.

Good luck. Feel free to call me any time, though it looks like you have a lot of help here.
Many of my listings have tenants and we get them sold. Your situation needs some special care as you do not have a lease, but that is easy for me to help you with because I have a background as an attorney (but I have been a full time Realtor here for 17 years). I will work with your tenants to get them to cooperate with the process by pointing out What Is In It For them, so they will help with the sale. Please look at http://www.TeamForYOUrDreams.com for more information.
Absolutely. You are the home owner, therefore allowed to do what you wish with the house. The only thing is that if you or your renter signed any type of disclosure stating that you must notify them 30 days prior to them having to move out of the property, that would be the only issue, but you can still sell the house itself.
Hi Christine,

If you would like to list your town home for sale and their are current tenants in the home, you would need to present some sort of lease or agreement that will allow whoever purchases the home the right to actually move into the home once they close. The best way is to present the tenants with a month-to-month lease that will allow both parties to give a 30-day notice. I am more than happy to answer any of your other questions about getting you started!