Rosa, Home Seller in South Ozone Park, Qu...

I have my property on the market and received complimentary NYS home inspection from the broker. Can I get?

Asked by Rosa, South Ozone Park, Queens, NY Thu Mar 20, 2008

most of it fixed or replaced prior to closing not immediately? I don't want to spend too much and not have a buyer.

Answers

4
Gail Gladstone’s answer
In NY, attorneys advise homeowners NOT to complete the property disclosure statement and just forego $500 fee at closing. And unlike other states, in NY, the seller is only "required" to handle environmental and structural issues...other fixes are considered future maintenance for the buyer.

But like my industry associate, Jennifer King in Lancaster PA, I always advise my clients to have the prelisting inspection and fix as much as possible. The better the buyer inspection turns out, the more likely the buyer is to go forward with the deal. You do not need to be blindsided by a major problem with the property that you weren't aware of.
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 21, 2008
I typically recommend that my sellers get as many items as possible taken care of as quickly as possible. In PA, the seller has to disclose all known info. on the property. This includes any items noted as needing attention on the home inspection report. It's also a great way to cover your own liability with regard to disclosure.

I've found that many buyers will imagine "wrong/bad" items to be much bigger than they truly are, so if the seller takes care of them first - it increases their comfort level as well as allowing the seller to decide how to handle the repairs, vs. waiting until a buyer has their own inspection and mandates how they want things done as part of the contract....

I hope that helps!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 20, 2008
Hi Rosa, Unless you know someone that will do the work for you that you can trust- Stay put and wait. Don't spend the money you don't have. A contractor may buy your home and can do most of the work for minimal money. Get an estimate just to get an idea of the cost-so if a buyer mentions any of these problems you will be knowledgeable about the repair costs. Don't rebuild the house for someone else. Concentrate on de-cluttering and clearing your rooms-making your space look bigger..My opinion. Terry K 718-614-3167 cell
I agree with both of my associates. best of luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 22, 2008