Sandylee, Home Seller in Newtown Square, PA

I have hardwood floors throughout my 2 story colonial. There are areas in the living room, dining room, and one bedroom that have black stains due to

Asked by Sandylee, Newtown Square, PA Mon Apr 5, 2010

cat urine. Should I carpet and disclose the problem when selling or take up the floors and redo? I also have a pool that needs new gunite and will cost 10 to 15,000 to repair. My ex left 5 years ago and the market went down at the same time. I have 2 jobs and no money. Help!!!!!!!!

Answers

10
Louann Kenney’s answer
HI Sandylee,

My best advice is to find a REALTOR to advise you. They are the most familar with the market in your area.

Since you do not have the money to make the repairs, possibily have bids for the pool repair along with an allowance for the floors to be redone or carpeted.

In the current market, your REALTOR may recommend you do nothing more than disclose everything and price the property accordingly. There are great mortgages available for buyers to make the repairs once they have purchased the home (203K)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 11, 2010
Home Seller,

I would try to get 2 to 3 estimates to replace the hardwood section boards that have the stains. I do know that you do not have to redo the entire floor. So try this approach. In reference to your pool you I would contact a Realtor and invite them to your home and ask them to perform a Brokers Property Opinion on what your property is worth before those repairs and if performing the upgrade at this time is cost effective for you.

Best of luck to you. I hope this helps.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 9, 2010
Sandylee
Very good answers so far.

I would recommend:
1. Consult with at least two Realtors who work in your area. They know your competition. For example, if hardwood floors are THE selling point in your area, then it MIGHT be worth having a hardwood floor company give you an estimate on repair/replace options.
2. Same for the pool. If your direct competitors have pools, the question would be one of value to the buyer versus cost of repair.

The most important question that you didn't ask, but I think might be of the most value to you is this: Ask these Realtors to provide you with a list of recommendations on what you should do to get the most when you sell. You have limited resources, so if you DO invest any money in preparation for sale, then you need to put it where you will get the most bang for the buck.

Some examples:
House needs to clean inside and out, especially the windows, light fixtures, switch plates.
Fresh paint in and out is ideal. A clean, fresh coat of paint can really make a home shine, particularly if you listen to the comments by these Realtors of what some sellers are willing to put on the market. Your goal should be to have your home shine in the areas that it can.
Decluttering - essential. Buyers buy value, space has value, so decluttering, then staging for maximum effect, can make a home look more spacious, therefore have more value.

So it might be, after doing what I call the essentials, that you simply may not have money to "do it all", then your local Realtors can help you prioritize what needs to done and you can allocate funds and time.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 5, 2010
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Sandylee:

Your have already received some great answers. But, you need to consider your finances. You are working 2 jobs & need to free yourself from mortgage payments. So, my suggestions will have that in mind.

I think you should leave the hardwood floors uncovered. Wood floors are currently in style. By leaving them uncovered, a buyers will see the floors as they are & the buyers decide whether they want leave as is, refinish, carpet, etc. (Of course, you need to make appropriate disclosures.)

I think you should leave the pool as is. In our area of the country (I'm in OH), a pool can be a liability for selling a home, as our weather limits the use of a pool. (Of course, you need to make appropriate disclosures.) It is possilbe that a buyer may fill in the pool to have a larger yard.

Again, I am trying to keep your finances in mind.

Just as others have said, you need to retain a Seller's Agent at this time to provide you with a comparative market analysis (CMA"), to help you decide on the listing price. Ask friends, relatives, neighbors, etc for recommendations for a Seller's Agent. And, listen to the suggestions your Seller's Agent to prep your home for sale.
HI SANDYLEE, WHAT YOU DO IS CLEAN AND DISINFECT THE FLOORS AND CARPET THE AREA WITH COMMERCIAL CARPET. AS FOR THE POOL IN THIS MARKET YOU WILL NOT GET THE RETURN YOU X C C
.

HI SANDYLEE, YOU COULD DISINFECT THE PLACE AND PUT COMMERCIAL CARPETS IN AROUND THE WHOLE HOUSE. WOULD BE CHEAPER AND NEATER. FOR THE POOL YOU COULD WAIT TILL YOU THINK MARKET IS GOING TOWARDS AN INCLINE. THANKS KOMAL C21 PREVETE
If you have no money the choices are limited. Get bids to correct the situaitions. People always think that it will cost more than it will to address these type of issues. Having a bid in your hand or disclosing the bids helps put the work in perspective. Get a experienced realtor in your area give you an idea what you will be able to sell the property in as is condition and if repaired. Because you might find that it makes sense to addressing all the issues or some of the issues. The first thing is to get the facts so you can understand the possible results so you can evaluate your options.

Good Luck

Keith Manson
First Weber Group
Certified Distressed Property Expert
Metro Milwaukee

http://www.milwaukeebailout.com
Hi Sandy, I don't think it is necessary to replace the hardwoods. I would call a hardwood repair contractor to see about repairing the worse areas. As for the pool, I would disclose that the pool needs repairs and price your home accordingly. Good luck with your move, feel free to call or email any further questions or concerns.
Debbie
Sandylee another alternative to re-carpet the home is to give a credit at settlement to the Buyer for a Carpeting allowance.....I would not repair the pool either.....I would price the property accordingly and disclose any knowledge of the problems with the pool as well.....make sure you put the pool "as-is" condition....If you would like further information regarding the rest of your home, I would be happy to come out and take a look at no cost to you....I'm sure there are alot of positives that can be reflected in your home that could assist you in selling the property even with the disclosures listed above....I can be reached via my cell phone anytime.....good luck....
Good morning Sandylee, my recommendation is to install carpeting and disclose the stains. I would not recommend repairing pool. I would disclose the need pool repairs and price the home atking into consideration the needed repairs. By making the listing price attractive, the buyer(s) can purchase your home and complete the repairs on their own. Have you had an agent over to preview your home and give you a Market Evaluation? I ber happy to complete a no cost/no obligation at your convenience. Please feel free to contact me directly with any additional questions or concerns. Thanks for taking the time to read my response. Steve
If you dont have any money your choices are limited, i would not worry about the pool and as far as the floors, again if you have the money to sand and refinish that is the correct way. otherwise let some local brokers give you local broker price opinion's on what your hous eis worth in todays market as it siss and asess with these agents if there is anything you can or shoudl do that will increase your value. As well they can let you know how your house shows and if there is anything you shoudl do before showings begin. good luck with your sale
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com