Home Selling in Nacogdoches>Question Details

RSIBlue, Home Seller in Tampa, FL

I have an offer on my property. Should I hire an attorney to review the contract?

Asked by RSIBlue, Tampa, FL Sun Dec 16, 2012

Answers

8
A real estate agent can walk you through all of the basics of a real estate contract, but we are not lawyers and cannot offer any legal advice. If you have any questions about the particulars of a contract, then it is a good idea to invest in the services of a real estate attorney. Otherwise, a real estate agent can handle most everything. I have never had any of my clients here in the Dallas area use a lawyer.

Best of luck to you,

Brian Rayl
B&B Realty Group - Keller Williams Elite Dallas, TX
Brian@Rayl-Estate.com
http://FindDallasHomesForSale.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 17, 2012
Do you have an agent, or are you selling by owner? If you have an agent, s/he will likely have sufficient experience to see any flags. If you're doing it alone, you could probably use a second set of eyes with some experience in real estate. Best of luck with your sale...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2012
You want to do it before you make the offer.
Once you make the offer, it is perhaps too late.
In Texas lawyers and brokers have agreed to a set of forms that are standard for many if not most transactions. As long as these forms are used and the answers to the blanks are fairly simple, most realtors should be able to fill out the offers and contracts.
If it gets more complicated than that you perhaps want to hire an attorney. I would only use a board certified real estate attorney. Also if you have questions about consequences, such as what happens if the seller signs, but won't close, or how do I get earnest money back after the option period is over, or questions about your title insurance, survey encroachments or such more complicated matters, then you may want to get an attorney involved.
This is not to say you should get an attorney, but in 100s of deals I have rarely had anyone find or hire an attorney to review their offer or contract on a small, uncomplicated, residential transaction.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 21, 2012
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
A Purchase and Sale contract that is straightforward can be explained clearly to you by your Realtor, but if the contract is in anyway more complicated, then I would certainly recommend a good real estate attorney. As Realtors we can never give our clients legal advice and I think peace of mind in the process of selling or purchasing a home is worth a little extra money.
What is your agent advising...No reason not to protect yourself by hiring an attorney....
Hi, Unless you know the laws associated with a real estate transaction and it's not a baisc pre-approved (by the state) sales contract, I would.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
The only reason I would suggest doing this would be if the contract were not a standard fill in the blank real estate contract that's already been reviewed and approved by the state real estate commission and/or bar association. (If it is, you should see this on the bottom of the pages) or if you are worried that the attorny you're thinkng of using needs money and you wish to help them.

If it's a standard Offer to Purhase and Contract it's been reviewed by the state Bar Association and Real Estate Commission and you'd be wasting your money in my opinion. Your Realtor can and should have already reviewed it with you and answered any questions you might have.
You may talk to an attorney about all law related matter.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2012