Home Selling in Ohio>Question Details

Plg, Home Seller in Ohio

I have a safe room in my basement where I keep valuables and guns. Can I have it locked and non accessible when selling my home?

Asked by Plg, Ohio Tue Jan 17, 2012

Answers

5
Even when the door is locked, a safe room might be a good selling point. Perhaps photos of the inside of the room would be adequate if an agent were taking potential buyers through. Do you already have a new home, or are you still living at the old one?

http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/how-to-create-a-safe-room-in…
Absolutely, lock it up. I would let your broker know exactly what is inside and why it is locked though.
Plg,

You can and should have the room secured....with this said, this will likely generate curiosity and questions. Consider having your listing agent disclose that there is a safe room area in the basement that buyer's will initially be unable to have access. At some point in the buying process, it will be necessary to make arrangements for the buyer to view this space.

Can't imagine anyone having problems with this......

Yes you can deny access to the room. Chris is absolutely right.....a serious buyer is going to want to see the room at some point prior to purchasing your home. My suggestion would be to let them inspect the room after you have agreed upon all other terms of a purchase agreement......"this offer is subject to buyers satisfactory inspection of "safe" room within 72 hours of acceptance of purchase agreement" Your agent can work out the language for you. If you are still uncomfortable with the buyers seeing the contents you would at least have time to temporarily move your valuables to another room while they inspect this one. Eventually you will have to have it open if they are requiring a professional home inspection.

I understand your concerns and they are legitimate.

Janet Unkefer
Cutler Real Estate
330-868-6219
janetsrefiles@aol.com
Hi, You definitely can but at some point any buyer is going to want to see the room. You can have your agent tell people that they can see the room if they want to view the home for a second time. This way only the serious will come back. Maybe you can be around for the showings to let them in.

Chris