Castlewood R…, Home Seller in Castle Rock, CO

I have a question about whether to do a small repair before listing our home for sale.

Asked by Castlewood Ranch Seller, Castle Rock, CO Fri Jun 7, 2013

There is a small area of the bathroom vanity in our master bath that has been discolored over the years. Would it be smart to paint it before listing the house or is it reasonable to handle that problem as a concession to a potential buyer as part of a transaction? It is not a large area - maybe 3 inches by 3 inches - and it has no impact on the structure or function of the vanity. To do the painting of that area, the sink has to be lifted out and then re-set into place.

Answers

24
Julie Reddington’s answer
I would get it done now. Buyers typically over exaggerate the cost of a repair when deducting off the price. You want the house gleaming and ready to go, and you will make up for it the list price.

Julie
To receive the highest price for your home, it needs to be in "like new" condition. It can be useful to tour a local home builders' show homes to get a feel for the type of condition and staging necessary to garner top dollar for your home. Of course, it goes without saying, the added value in sales price should be more than the cost of the repair or upgrade.
Just realized this question is from June!
I would suggest either to fix the area or go ahead and get estimates from qualified professionals. Having the estimates in hand is proof you are a responsible homeowner and your not trying to cover up anything or you don't care. Doing nothing about it should not be one of your options.
Discoloration means MOISTURE.
The buyer will hire an inspector and if moisture is detected, your paint job will become inreelevant.
YOU CAN:
1. React to whatever the outcome of the buyer inspection.
2. Get your own inspection completed, reasolve all issues, and offer this to assuage the buyer concern and even save them several hundreds of dollars
3. Paint...sell AS IS and put on your negotiation battle gear.
I would repair it. You don't want to give the buyers any reason to come in at a lower price if possible.
Home prices have been rising steadily in the Castle Rock area for about 2 years. With that said, Buyers are looking for top properties that are MOVE-IN READY whether it be for an offer or during inspections. I suggest correctly issues before listing houses in this area, so you can maximize your sale price and not get a "laundry" list of items to correct before closing. I have also seen recent Buyers come back with a request for price adjustment due to inspection repairs, which gets very intense during these negotiations. Before I list a house, I walk through the house with the Seller and discuss potential items that may cause Buyer concerns - no offer because of the issues, phone calls before an offer, discussions on why the offer is low, and items that may/may not appear after inspections and how the overall process works.

For example, I listed a home in Founders Village yesterday, 9/7/2013. The Seller took 4 months to fix it up before we listed it. But it looks great.

In short, it is always best to correct issues before listing a house, so you get the highest offer price and the items don't deter offers and lead to re-negotiating issues after inspections.

Let me know if you want me to walk your house for FREE and discuss these items at no obligation to you. I'd be glad to do it and I'm usually in that area.

Jim Garcia
Your Castle Real Estate
jim.garcia@netzero.com
720-385-4497
http://www.castlepines-realestate.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 8, 2013
It does not sound completely simple to fix yet it sounds cosmetic. I am not sure why the sink needs to come out, but you know it best. I would try to avoid concessions. The buyer will want more than the cost to repair. It is a pesky problem and though you think paint is a fix, they likely think replacement. I would tackle it and make it a non-problem so you sell without issue if ever a question about to fix or not fix always fall to the side of correct it to avoid trouble. You can not predict what the buyer may be thinking. They may decide not to offer if they see small things.

Have you had a Realtor walk your home? Did they see it as a thing that needs to be fixed. I think you may benefit from having an expert tell you about the importance of the problem you are discussing. I am a Castle Rock resident and I would be pleased to visit about your home, what it would take to sell it and how much you could get and how quickly to expect the sale. The market is certainly different than it had been, but there are still plenty of pitfalls.

You can find my website at http://www.searchforhomesincolorado.com/castle-rock-co-real-… where you can learn about me, what I do for my clients and you then have access to my email and cell phone number. I would be happy to help you if you would like to visit further.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 7, 2013
Doing small repairs can show a potential buyer that you pay attention to detail. When a potential buyer walks through a home and sees a lot of little things that need to be done, some may run away from the property because they just want to move in and not have a laundry list of things to do.
Small repairs like that should be taken care of before putting the home on the market. For larger items, however, you need to consider whether you will get the cost back in terms of selling price.
Better to go ahead and do the repair than to ask for it as a concession. Buyers will often see a $10 repair as a $100 discount. The less they have to do to move in in general, the better.
If it won't take to long to fix then I would consider doing it. Is the rest of the house in good condition? If so make sure you remove as much clutter and personal items as possible. Also pricing the property correctly will facilitate a quick sale and usually a higher end price.
Make your home as pretty as you can. It is easy if we remember to always put ourselvers in the other persons boots!
Tim Hanahan
Keller Williams
Action Realty
Castle Rock, Colorado 80104
720.891.8700 m
First Impressions!! If you would like top dollar for your home, then I would recommend fixing minor items so the Buyer does not have an excuse to bring a lower offer.

As you neighbor, please feel free to contact me for a free market analysis.

Kindest regards,

Jacquie Marrott GRI, CNE
Fuller Sotheby's International Realty
303-589-8995
1GR8Home4U@gmail.com
In today's market, GREAT homes are getting multiple offers and selling FAST. If a couple small repairs will make your home a GREAT home, then DO IT!!!!!
If the sink has to be lifted out and re-set, I would offer a credit.
Opinions on this may vary......but I feel that making a price adjustment initially is often a lost cause and generally results in the future buyer expecting another adjustment.

It's always a good idea for sellers to take care of any repairs that need to be made prior to listing the property. It simply allows the home to demonstrate "pride of ownership" that is essential for so many buyers.

I'm not clear on why the sink would need to be removed to paint the vanity.......

Castelwood,

The things in your home that you consider a problem in your mind will likely be a problem for the buyers. The more of the little things such as this tat are done in advance are a plus when selling your home. I would say yes to making this repair and take a look around your home at other things that you or a handyman can take care of up front so there will be less issues or negatives for the buyers to consider. It is better to be proactive and take care of these types of things and not wait to see if the buyer notices and will require you to do them later.

Robert McGuire
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Realestate
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
Hi there!

First, let me commend you on being willing to work for, and with potential Buyers! That being said, without seeing it first hand, as long as the discoloration does not represent a larger problem such as a leak, it does not sound like a deal breaker. In fact, often times, Buyers will repaint entirely to suit their taste. If you can touch it up to be pleasing to the eye, by all means, go for it! Just be sure you explore, and hopefully rule out, an unseen issue, as this will most likely be noticed by potential Buyers and Inspectors alike. If in the circumstance the discoloration is due to more than just normal aging, covering it up is a no-no. As a Seller, you are required to make known all defects you are aware of. Hope this helps! :)

I'm just in Founders and would be pleased to talk with you more!

Yours in service,
Leah Mantelli, Keller Williams Realty Success

720-270-9580
Hello Castlewood Ranch Seller,

An area that small but highly visible might be better to fix before listing the home. I am an real estate agent but I also built custom homes for almost a decade. Something this small, I can fix it for you. Feel free to contact me. No strings attached or any obligations.

Tom Dang

V: 303-668-4421
TomDangofDenver@gmail.com
If you feel confident making the small repair without causing additional damage to the sink or surrounding area you should do it. Otherwise if it is not really a problem and just cosmetic than don't worry about it. You have the opportunity to provide property disclosures to potential Buyers to make them aware of any issues you feel they should know about.
Need additional incite ? feel free to call.

Good luck on selling your home, the market is very strong in your area.

Tony Caterina
303-748-7544
I would recommend doing the repairs prior to listing your home. You want your home to show in the best light before a buyer looks at it. Also, it shows you take good care of your home, and hopefully a buyer will be less picky during the inspection.

I specialize in the Castle Rock area.....please call me if you would like me to evaluate your home and prepare a CMA pricing analysis on your home. Would love to work with you. Erin Morse
it's often better to repair it in advance.

buyers have very little imagination... they want to see the finished product. and for those buyers who do have some imagination, they often "over estimate" the cost of the repair, and will want you to credit them more than it will really take.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201
Yes, you should always try to maximize your house (and profits and the number of potential Buyers) by getting it ready before listing. It's better to take a month to fix up your house and get it sold quickly for top dollar, than it is to list it for a month and get all low ball offers. If you would like more pointers, please give me a call.

Jim Garcia
Your Castle Real Estate
720-385-4497
jim.garcia@netzero.com
castlepines-realestate.com