Hjennings2, Home Buyer in San Antonio, TX

I have a nice Townhome, build in 2012, priced to sell but hardly any showings. What am I or my Realtor not doing?

Asked by Hjennings2, San Antonio, TX Tue Jan 29, 2013

Answers

20
No Showings! That is something Realtors are not hearing much these days.
There could be many factors and I would first recommend that you ask your Realtor this questions.
Then consider a few things I would look at as an experienced listing agent:
How is it priced compared to other properties in the area? How are the photos that are on-line?
Photo's are HUGE when selling - make sure your photos show the house and not religious symbols, toilet seats, Brightly colored rooms (if your walls are not off white then get out the paint!), closed blinds, cluttered rooms and massive furniture.

Has your Realtor filled in all of the information on MLS and provided easy showing instructions?
Do you have an electronic lockbox on the door? Combo lock boxes and codes needed are road blocks. Is your home easy to show? If not then make it easy. Is your agent accessible for questions from other Realtors? This can be huge if you have showing instructions that say "Call First".

Have you had any open houses? Has your agent done a virtual tour - this can push you ahead of other listings on a lot of web sites. Okay - this should be enough for you to talk to your agent about. Be kind to your agent though!! We work hard and want you to meet your goals but sometimes questions can bring about great ideas to achieve them!! Wishing you a quick sale!! Laura Rosales, Realtor with Premiere Team Real Estate in Austin
If your home is priced right, the buyers will show up as soon as your home goes on the market. Texas has one of the best economies in the nation - sitting at the top alongside Colorado. Both states lead the nation in recovery.

I mention price first because this is something many sellers seem reluctant to do. It makes more sense to price low and have a number of buyers come look and then make offers. Sometimes the buyers start competitively bidding for the home and the seller winds up with the price they actually wanted.

If the "trolling" stories on the Outlook and Yahoo pages are preaching this, you can appreciate that buyers are savvy enough to research a home first and avoid the homes that are priced too high. If you're not working with a Realtor, you should.

Best of luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 2, 2013
Hi Mr. Seller,

It is about Location and Price. I am sure that your Realtor went over the CMA with you in detail before listing it on the MLS. The CMA will give you a all the information about the market, if it is done right. Most important it will tell you if your home is in a Seller's or Buyer's market. Your home will sell for what the market will pay for it.

Professional realtors monitor their clients market areas daily and they know what your home is worth because they sit down at their computers and find houses in their buyer's range. They normally show the houses that are the best value.

So if you are hardly getting any showings you make be in a slow market or price too high. I recommend
review your CMA or adjust you price.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 12, 2013
Its hard to say. Proper marketing is key. Did your agent have professional photos of your home taken? Some agents past a single shot of the exterior from their camera phone and don't even get out of the car. Bad photos are my biggest pet peeve check out our blog of bad MLS photos, and you'll see what I mean. http://www.paulypresley.com/category/bad-austin-mls-photos/

Also is the property easy to show? Combo lockboxes are cumbersome to deal with and are a sign that the sellers agent is either new or cheap and can be a hassle to download the code when your on the road.
Are there time restrictions on when the home can be viewed?
Both are a major roadblock to showings.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 9, 2013
There are so many reasons including the lending options that are available, does the home need to be staged, is the price right, the condition and the location. You need to set down with your Realtor and discuss this and possibly have her bring the agents in her office through the home for a tour and see if they can add to the list of why you are not getting showings. You need to listen and be open to all their suggestions. You are missing the boat somewhere if you are not getting any showings or offers in the market today.

Visit my website at http://www.westrealtynoco.com for more info on selling.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 28, 2013
I am certain that your Realtor is competent in what he or she is doing. Perhaps you need to listen to his or he advice.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 24, 2013
You may want to sit down with your Realtor and see what is being done to market the home. Go over the comparable sales again and see whether the home is priced correctly.

In this market where inventory is low and the demand is so high, it is surprising the your home has not sold yet.

Is your home easy to show? Hopefully there you don't have time restrictions on showing. Is it on all the major websites? How about virtual tours and are the pictures of the house of good quality?

Meena Gujral
Help-U-Sell Achievers Realty
925-425-9491
http://www.helpusellachievers.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 7, 2013
It's overpriced, despite your belief that it's "priced to sell."

My guess is that you're trying to recover most or all of what you paid, plus expenses. In other words, you're trying to break even. On a house built in 2012, that isn't likely to happen. That's especially true if the builder is still selling in the same neighborhood; people would much rather buy new construction than a pre-existing home.

Have your Realtor run a CMA based on current comps. Visit similar homes currently on the market; they're your competition. Make sure your photos are good. Call in a stager to stage your home. Price your home at the low end of the comps, adjusting downward if necessary for current competition.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 7, 2013
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
I have two questions.
1. What do the photos look like? Did you use a pro photographer or just take a few pictures with your phone? Good photos can sell a house quickly, perhaps with multiple offers. Bad photos will ensure your home has no showings.

2. Is the builder still building in your neighborhood? If they are, then you are competing with them. That is tough as most people prefer a brand new house to a resale home.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 7, 2013
Review current similar listings and solds from the last 3 months in your market area to confirm price.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 7, 2013
Price may not be right. Look at price, location, condition. Be sure home has a pleasant smell. Perhaps it needs to be staged to show use of space. Add more photos inside and out after staging.
Best of Luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 7, 2013
It is important to have inviting pictures online. Pictures are the gateway to the home buying process. Also, ease of show is important. Meaning, if you have restrictions on when potential buyers can see, it is possible that they will skip over it completely.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 6, 2013
Have a friend look at it online objectively. The first issue is usually price. Call your Realtor and try to get a new plan for sale of your home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 1, 2013
No showings? Really?

Here are the top 4 factors as to why places don't sell:

Price
Photos
Condition
Location

Over 150 people move to Austin every day - and they all need a place to live. If your place isn't getting any showings, it's time to find a new gameplan. That may mean needing a new agent.

Feel free to email me if you want to chat.

Eric
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 30, 2013
Thank you for your response. In your professional opinion, do you think that since the builder is still here makes it almost impossible to sell my home. Eventhough the base price of my floorplan increased by $20,000 since I bought last May or is it just poor marketing??
Flag Sun Feb 3, 2013
I would suggest having a meeting with your Realtor to get an update on the market conditions for your property. Ex. competitive listings, recent solds in any. Lastly price based on property condition. As someone else posted, the monthly fees on a townhome versus a regular home can be a turnoff for some buyers.

Best of Luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 30, 2013
Townhomes & condos take longer to sell than a single family. There are fewer buyers for these types of properties. Often the HOA fees scare buyers. But if it is in a good location and priced right it will eventually sell. Search your area for investors if the property will cash flow as a rental.
Best of luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 29, 2013
Townhomes and condos are tricky and many of the best practices of real estate (that are tried and true with single family homes) are thrown out the window. New owners don't want to be stuck with an albatross.

I'd narrow your focus to the 1-2 most likely types of buyers for whom it would offer the most appeal. Will it generate cashflow as a rental? Find investors. Appropriate for students? Advertise on college campuses. More than anything else, patience is the key, along with killer marketing. There is a smaller universe of buyers out there that will live in a townhome. Don't lose hope!

Bryan Treat
JB Goodwin
512-653-3348
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 29, 2013
Thank you. Great points that you are making
Flag Tue Jan 29, 2013
What is the address of the property??
The slow to no action could be caused by several things.
Location, price, HOA fees or pictures.

Bill Friedrich
512-517-2961
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 29, 2013
Good points. The address is 11212 Bright Leaf Terrace, 78748
Flag Tue Jan 29, 2013
Can you send me a link to the listing online? My first question would be, "How are the photos?"

Scott R Hamilton
512-660-0400
http://www.scotthomesales.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 29, 2013
Thank you. Here is the link

http://www.realtyaustin.com/idx/condos/texas/austin/78748/11212-bright-leaf-ter/4389007.html
Flag Tue Jan 29, 2013
First off, ask your Realtor. They don't make money unless your home sells, so they have a vested interest in making sure it does get showings. The truth is you may not like what they have to say because it most likely pertains to overpricing.

If price is not the issue, then my money is that your photos are not up to par.

Josh Daniels, Realtor®
Residential/Commercial/REO
------------------------------------------------------------------
RUSSELL CAIN REAL ESTATE
2025 N HWY 35
PORT LAVACA, TX 77979
361-920-0295
JOSH@RUSSELLCAIN.COM