Sandy, Home Seller in Texas

I have a house with a large addition along the back of the house. It is enclosed and also has many insulated

Asked by Sandy, Texas Mon Jun 2, 2008

windows but the central heat & air is not vented to the addition. The appraisal district has been charging, for 20 years, living area taxes on this large addition. A realtor has told us that this addition can't be counted as living space for the selling price, because it's not vented from the central heat/air. Would an AC/heat window unit qualify this area as sq' ft to be included as total selling sq feet? Looking for an unbiased opinion. The home is in Texas

Answers

7
Go to your towns construction office and assessors office.
FInd out:
Were proper permits obtained when the addition was constructed? Was it inspected and given a certificate of occupancy as living space? If it was inspected and passed did the assessor assess it as living space? Unless you checked how can you be sure that the house was reassessed to include it as living space after the addition?

If they did, how is it that the Realtor is qualified to tell you that it is not 'living space'? Can the Realtor cite some code or law that would be controlling on this point?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 3, 2008
Often, an addition such as yours does not add full value, dollar for dollar, to your price. In other words, if you spent 10K on that addition, you might not get an extra 10K for the potential sale of the home. This is particularly true in your case, as there is no HVAC/Climate control. With additional square footage, there comes a point of diminishing returns, as the other homes in the community don't match size wise. It may be considered "overbuilt" for the neighborhood, or for comparison properties. Feel free to send me an email at ==stevemalinoff@aol.com==, and I'll be happy to provide my opinion of value on the home, for you to compare with your current realtor, and thus be able to make more informed decisions as to pricing, etc.
You should still benefit as the room is an amenity. You can market it on your listing, and I think most potential buyers would consider it as a value added feature.
Web Reference: http://www.bigdrelo.com
Howdy Sandy,

Does the addition have the same quality of materials as the rest of the home? It sounds like it might be a covered patio that was closed in. Typically I have seen appraisers only give these kind of additions about half the price per square foot as the main home. If it's a true addition to a home with similiar materials or better than the main home plus it has it's own heating / cooling system you would be able to get a higher value for the additional square footage of living area. If you would like a true non-biased opinion from a 3rd party, hire an appraiser for about $350 and you will get an accurate square footage measurement and a professional opinion of your home's true value. Appraisals are great to use as a tool to help you get the most for your home. If you need a referral, please send me an e-mail and I will give you a guy's name who is great to work with.
Web Reference: http://www.ronmersinger.com
I agree with Paul. Realtors assist in the buying and selling process. We are not legal authorities in code. Not knowing which county you are paying taxes in, I cannot site any specific experience with this problem. When it doubt, always go to the governing body, remember, if it's not in writing, it doesn't exist.
Lucy
Sandy,
You have anther question to answer before you put in that window unit.
Some residential areas have restrictions against window units, have you checked this out.
In our area homes in the country that are part central air and part window unit, such as an addition you have, are being put in the MLS as the total square footage, are being taxed as the total square footage and being appraised as the total square footage, but things may be different in Dallas.
Now if you have a detached room or garage that you have converted or you have converted the garage, you do not have the same quality and density of slab and you want to call that part f the home. The answer it no. It does not qualify &/or meet the building standards of the house.
Either way I believe the small investment in the window unit, if allowed in your neighborhood, would be a great investment for you. It would lower your electric bill while you were still in the house and make the house more attractive to potential buyers.

Your selling agent could at least advertise ____?__ft livable area - explaining the add on.
NO to the window unit, it is not concerned living space UNLESS it is under the HAVC system.

http://www.lynn911.com