Home Selling in 07746>Question Details

Thomas Giglio, Home Seller in New Jersey

I have a home that was structurally damaged by a contractor, I want to sell the home as is for the best offer

Asked by Thomas Giglio, New Jersey Thu Apr 2, 2009

along with the land. Can I sell this home without a certificate of occupancy so that I can just get away from this terrible situation?

Help the community by answering this question:



Our recommendation is to consult a real estate attorney to be certain your best interests are protected.

Good luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 3, 2009
Hi Thomas,
Sorry to hear about this situation. Yes, you can sell without as CO but as the others have said you would either have to find a buyer with cash or a Rehab loan.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like further information. I would be happy to speak with you further, get more details as to the damage and figure out a fair asking price.

Heather Daccurso
Weichert Realtors-Howell
626 Route 9 South
Freehold, NJ 07728
Office: 732-577-0440
Cell: 732-580-5309
Email: heather@heatherdaccurso.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 3, 2009
Yes, you can sell without a c/o. Depending on your town, the only requirements may be a fire certification. Just price the home well, sell it "as is, c/o responsibility of the buyer."
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 2, 2009
Yes !
You can sell your home without Certificateof Occupancy but only with cash or FHA 403K loan program offers.
Also I want to mention that you can get yourself loan to fix your home.
If you need more help please call me
Keller Williams Realty
Tomasz Mucha
Cell# 848-218-0621
Manalapan NJ 07726
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 2, 2009
What did your insurance company say? Did the contractor have insurance? Can't give you an answer to your problem because I don't know the whole story just what you post. And, that can not be the whole story.
Web Reference: http://Ask4Greg.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 2, 2009
Sounds like you had a real nightmare there! I'm sorry. I hate to hear these types of stories.

Is the damage repairable? Do you have an estimate as to what it would take? OR Is this home a tear down?

Many homes are sold "as-is" (especially foreclosures these days) with the buyer being responsible for certificate of occupancy. You would have to disclose the structural defect. Depending on the extent of the damage, there probably is no way to get a certificate of occupancy if the home isn't inhabitable. If that is the case, you'd have to find a buyer willing to purchase without a certificate.

You will obviously have to price this home to compensate for the damage and condition. Based on your statement, is most value in the land?

JoAnna Siminerio
Weichert Realtors
Web Reference: http://www.JoTheRealtor.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 2, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer