Home Selling in Baker>Question Details

Hunter, Real Estate Pro in Baton Rouge, LA

I have a home for sale in Baker...and it WON'T SELL!

Asked by Hunter, Baton Rouge, LA Tue Jun 10, 2008

can anyone tell me how I can sell my house in baker..? It has 9 acers, and a 3200 square foot home..has a barn, and a nice "Party"/ "Apartment" off the back...I just need some advice.

Thanks-
Hunter

Answers

12
Dearest Daniel -- Thank goodness all Realtors don't think their clients are "bone heads". I will agree most home owners are in denial about what their property is worth -- It is the realtor's job to give them valid, objective information about the properties in their area. There is no cure for a property that is not priced properly.

As for your opinion on staging, it's just too bad. Staging is making a huge difference between properties sitting and selling.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 25, 2008
Hi Hunter:

My answer to you is along the same lines as Shelley's answer. I am a home stager who can provide the objective eye of a buyer and answer the questions Shelley is asking you to answer. I would first start with curb appeal which is the first thing a potential buyer will see. Then, work your way inside to make sure all of you home's assets are being shown to their best advantage. I will also tell you -- knowing what to do and actually doing it are 2 different things. There is no substitute for a professionally trained home stager.

Good Luck to you.

Amie
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 20, 2008
drop the price? Hire an agent? both?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 17, 2008
If your house hasn't sold, you have a few options; try to find a retail buyer on your own, contact the best realtor in your area or sell your house to an investment company. Although there are pros and cons to each suggested you will have to determine your current circumstances to determine what is best for your goals.
Dear Hunter,

Is your property currently listed with a realtor... I know if one home in that area that sounds similar to your description that is currently for sale. There are many factors in why your home may have not sold yet....
First of all with 9 acres and a 3200 sq. ft home you are in a much higher price bracket. Homes in that price range usually take anywhere from 6 months to a year to sell even in the best of markets. Secondly you are in Baker. Baker isn't bad, however it is not the strongest market due to school district. A home equivalent to yours located in Zachary or Central is going to bring a higher price and move much faster. Also, is it priced right? Without knowing the location, other properties around you (if you are the diamond in the rough - or the most expensive home in the area, you never get top dollar unfortunatly), seeing the home, there is no way of knowing if your priced right...... you didn't give any of that information above.
Also, it is not a "TRUE" buyers market yet, but it is a buyers market... there is an excess of inventory... law of supply and demand, however in EBRP, home prices are holding steady... when they start to decline it will then be a "TRUE BUYERS MARKET".... don't give your home away by any means. If your home is not currently listed you need to meed with a "PROFESSIONAL" realtor that can give you an idea on market value, current market conditions, market conditions based on your location, and one that can look at your goals - do you need to sale, are you relocating, has your home reached it's peak in the area and good time to make a move???? Call an agent today if you haven't..... AND MARKET IS BUSY BUSY BUSY, but things are not selling right now.. .Interest rates are still low, it is prime "real estate season" - Easter thru the start of the school year... many speculate... GAS PRICES etc. but no real answer.... GOOD LUCK!
forget the staging...drop the price!
stage it?? ohh give me a freaking break!

Dear, this is a BUYERS MARKET!!! Stage it til your blue in the face. Ive seen dozens of properties continue to sit while stage cause the bone head owners refuse to come to grips that their "palaces" are not worth what they think .

The worst thing a realtor can do is blow smoke up a homeowners rear with regards to price...and forget about staging...drop the damn price
Hunter
I have a couple of suggestions.
First, put your zip code in Trulia and look under STATS. See how many homes have sold in the last few months to get an idea of activity.
Second, interview three Realtors. have them provide you with an estimate of seller's net proceeds. Run the numbers. If you can sell on your own, great. If you need a plan B, you've got one.

You should know that average buyer first sees the home they purcahse with a Realtor 90% of the time. The internet is great, but if buyers and their agents don't show your home, you are not likely to sell it. It takes, on average, 10-12 showings to get one offer. In the case of a unique property, it may take more. A competent Realtor can tell you what it will take.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
HI Hunter,
WoW! What a loaded question. There is so much you could/should do. First, list it with an agent who knows your area really well. Second, listen to what they have to say. So let me ask you..Why do you think it hasn't sold? If you really are n't sure examine it. Walk outside and look at your property from a buyers perspective. Pretend you've never seen it before. How does it look? Is it cluttered? Too much personal information, pictures, hobbies, party paraphenalia etc. You need to make your house look neutral. What is the condition of the home? Does it need updating? Is it painted with "interesting" color choices? How is the curb appear?
Next price. Where are you in the market? Are you priced too high? You should be at the bottom of the market and appeal to the buyers. Offer legal incentives fr your state. Can you offer closing cost assistance? Buy down the buyers interest rate? home warranty? etc.
Good luck and best wishes!
Shelly
Web Reference: http://www.shellyfarley.com
There are two main factors, one is location, which you can't change, the second is price, which you can change if needed, other factors are condition, size and upgrades.
Hey Hunter,
There are several things you'll want to consider when trying to set your home apart from the many that are on the market currently. Price is the most important but you'll want to ensure that it's staged properly as well. Check out this link for lots of tips on selling a home and feel free to shoot me an email if you'd like more information.
Is it listed with an agent?
Is it priced too high?