Home Selling in Cape Coral>Question Details

no_spam11, Home Seller in Cape Coral, FL

I have a general question to all the experienced Realtors who are familiar with Cape Coral, Defective Chinese Drywall and the Coral Lakes community.

Asked by no_spam11, Cape Coral, FL Fri Sep 28, 2012

I currently own a home in Coral Lakes community and recently had it on the market. I had a Chinese Drywall inspection done in 2009 which indicated the property was clean and free of the defective drywall. Unfortunately, I had listed the house recently for sale and after a interested buyer's home inspection, defective chinese drywall was discovered in one small bedroom only and the rest of the house was clean. Now my questions:

1) How is this possible after my initial 2009 report was clean which was major determining factor when I purchased the home. Now I have the defect after 3 years later and a new inspection, which obviously cost me my sale.

2) How did the first inspection miss and subsequently cause this major issue for me? I mean is this common to have a home inspected clean and then in a few short years have it become defective? I can no longer sell this home at market value. What is it worth? 2741sq feet 2 story

3) What are my legal options?

Answers

7
Barbara Klare’s answer
Hi no_spam11
In 2010 I represented a buyer in the purchase of a home in Coral Lakes. This home was “certified” CDW remediated. Offer was accepted but during the inspection the inspectors and I keep smelling sulfur. The investor and his agent were actually angry at us for suggesting the home was still contaminated. We needless to say, the sale didn’t go through and the buyer bought brand new in Moody River.

The point of my story is to say inspectors are sloppy. If the CDW is contained to one room I would suggest remediation. This would be the least costly for option for you. I can suggest several good contractors that specialize in CDW remediation.

Meanwhile if you’d like to sell I’d love to hear from you.

Barbara Klare, Broker Associate
Gulf Coast Realty
cell: 239-292-1358
e-mail:bklare@comcast.net
http://www.barbaraklare.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 14, 2012
I am sorry you had a inaccurate test either at purchase or with last buyer. I would recommend Mr.John Casey at
Greentree Environmental Services, Inc.
(239) 542-6653 824 SE 47th St, Cape Coral, FL 33904
For testing and or repair he is the best and has proven to be the most accurate.
He will take good care of you.
John Lukas
Rossman Realty Group
cell 952-457-1399
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 29, 2012
Numerous homes in Coral Lakes do have chinese drywall, unfortunately, it appears that inspector cut corners on checking yours. He may have found nothing in 90% of the house and then just kind of forgot the rest.

I would fix the area in question, should be a small area per your description, and include the repair and reinspection of that room after in your seller disclosure.

The good news in all of this? Our prices are increasing and this occurance while maybe inconvenient, may actually get you a bit more money in the end.

Call me or e-mail if I can help you.

239.246.6639

Cheers

Kevin Cloutier
Southern Premier Realty
Cape Coral, FL 33914
kevin@kevincloutier.com
I would not despair over this issue. If the defective drywall is only in "one small bedroom", it likely won't cost much to re-mediate. At least there are no plumbing or appliances that would be affected. Only the original inspector can answer how this happened. Perhaps he didn't test that room, assuming the whole house was okay after he tested the main areas. I recommend you hire an inspector who provides a written warranty after performing a defective drywall inspection.
With respect to legal options, only a lawyer can answer that question. I feel bad for you that this happened but it can be fixed.
I just noticed your additional information - normally the inspector can only be responsible up to the cost of the inspection itself. Read your inspection agreement to see what the terms of the agreement say regarding this. As mentioned before if you email me your address I can get back to you with fair market value.
Numerous homes in Coral Lakes do have chinese drywall. It seems like the first inspector missed it since it was confined to one small room. I have seen numerous homes with the defective drywall in just room so it is not uncommon. You may want to check into the cost of having the remediation done and if that is too costly for you the home will need to be sold with the disclosure that the chinese drywall was discovered in the one small room.

I do have investors that purchase homes with the defective drywall so it is still possible to sell your home. If you email me your address I will be happy to research it and provide you with fair market value based upon the chinese drywall issue.

Terry McCarley, Realtor®, CDPE / Jones & Co Realty
email: leecountyrealtor@earthlink.net
phone: 239-707-4575
In addition, I read about the MDL litigation. As a homeowner, how can I get involved to recoup for my loss. Also, is the first inspector at fault legally in this matter since his inspection was a major criteria for the purchase?

What can I realistically list and sell this home and what is the general time frame to get a serious buyer? I understand this would be listed as a home with defective drywall signs. The home was listed and had a buyer at 150K prior to the inspection. What kind of realistic offer can I get now if I wanted to sell it in it's current state?