Home Selling in Austin>Question Details

Sheila Patte…, Home Seller in Austin, TX

I have a double wide mobile home located in a park in Caldwell county. What type of realtor should should I list my home with?

Asked by Sheila Patterson, Austin, TX Thu Jan 14, 2010

Pristine 3br. 2bth on large corner lot.

Answers

5
Its best to hire a Realtor who has had experience with mobile homes. What you did not mention do you own the land? If so the the mobile home is real property and if not then it is personal property and depending on the the state law is a realtor may not be able to sell it for you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 14, 2010
Good answers already. Just to reiterate: Make sure it's a Realtor who understands and has experience with mobile homes. If it's in a park, I'm assuming that there's ground rent and--as observed already--that you don't own the land. In some areas of the country, people pretty much understand that concept. In other areas of the country--such as where I am, in Northern Virginia--very few people understand the concept of ground rent or a land lease.

Next, your agent should understand what marketing techniques work--and which ones don't--when selling a mobile home. For example, lots of leads will come from a sign in the window. (Often in parks you can't put in an in-ground sign.)

What that means, in part, is that the agent will get a lot of calls from people who know nothing more than the address of the property because they've driven past it. They won't know the number of bedrooms or baths. They won't know the listing price. They won't know the ground rent. They won't know what services may or may not be covered by the ground rent. They won't know what qualification requirements are required by the park management. All of that will be on your MLS listing--it's just that people who drive past and see the sign won't have checked the MLS.

Another marketing tip: Your agent should saturate the park with direct mail or with other methods to let the other people living there know about your property. Families (including extended families) tend to group together. For example, I recently sold a manufactured home in a park. It'd belonged to a woman whose nephew lived two homes down. Four other homes in the park (about 450 total) were lived in by other relatives of the same family.

Your and your agent also have to talk about what sort of financing a buyer may need or want. There are a few companies out there that will lend on mobile homes. Not many, but a few. Make sure you have that information. But a lot of potential buyers may not qualify. You may be expecting or hoping to receive all your cash at settlement. But you'll open up the market to many, many, many more potential buyers if you can offer some sort of seller financing. I don't know if you're in a position to do so, but it'll help sell the home much quicker.

Hope all that helps.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Sheila,
You need a realtor that specializes in mobile home sales in your area. Have you tried googling mobile home specialist in your city?
I would also check with the mobile home park owners, often they have someone they refer you to or have provisions for you selling real property on their land. I dealt with this in South Austin and we actually ended up selling directly to the owners of the park (it's always worth a shot to see if they are interested in purchasing since it's already there).
Best of luck in selling your home!

Janae Oliver
Web Reference: http://www.regentpg.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 14, 2010
Hi Sheila, a mobile home in a park means that you don't own the land. Realtors are experts at real property and a mobile home in a park is technically personal property. there are services out there that will help you sell your mobile home I believe. Old Rose I think had some type of service (that may or not be the name, it did have Rose in it). Regardless of what service you go with please make sure that they are knowledgable and especially have avenues for financing potential buyers. It's getting tougher to get home financing and mobile homes are especially tough.

Good luck!!!
Web Reference: http://www.ChrisTesch.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 14, 2010
Dave Mills, Lockhart Realty. He's my broker and has many years of experience in mobile/manufactured home sales. And he's a very nice, helpful guy.

512-376-8439

Tell him Phillip referred you. Thanks,