Bogeyw, Home Seller in 11731

I have a built-in entertainment center in my family room that looks very 1980's. Is it worth paying $500 to tear it down to update the room?

Asked by Bogeyw, 11731 Wed Jun 29, 2011

The family room is the only room in the house not totally updated. We kinda like the unit, but don't think it would appeal to buyers for a house in our price range.

Answers

8
Todays buyer is looking for the perfect home. If this feature is going to date the home and disturb the flow of the home then that $500.00 is money well spent. You want the home to put its best foot forward. There are many homes to choose from and you want to make sure the buyers are keeping your home at the top of their short list. Dont let a dated piece of furniture confuse the message.
I have a question for you, can you email me a picture of the room so I may give you my opinion? To tell you to tear something down without seeing it would be rash.

Irene M. Renna
Century 21 Princeton Properties
(631) 467-0009 office
(631) 467-0029 fax
(631) 291-2180 cell
Irene.Renna@Century21.com
As you can see by the answers, they all point to yes. I would hope that you will have this conversation with your Realtor. There could be several areas of your home that maybe considered, and as Gail Gladstone recommended, "staged." A simple clean up without clutter, a few pictures on the wall and fresh paint do wonders to make a home inviting to buyers.
If its a new listing and it takes up a lot of floor space then i'd consider getting rid of it (keep in mind the dollars to fix the wall behind it) . If its listed longer than 6 weeks have the broker ask people if they buy it would they have it removed , this engages a client. (not offering to move it for them)

In general my advise to sellers on staging (unless its awful) is. Get rid of "personal items" this means family pics, meds from the cabinet etc...and get rid of "extras on the floor" breakfast table in the kitchen, big carpets, the crib in the master bedroom....

G'Luck
Not knowing your price range--If the cost is only $500, updating the room may make sense....
You already have your answer if you read your question. Very few purchasers have "vision." It is better to stage as much as possible.
Web Reference: http://gailgladstone.com
It is hard to say without seeing it, but in general, it is worth spending $500 to make a room look more up to date. At the same time, if you like it, others might also like it. I would get your agent's advice and then also wait to see some early feedback from buyers if you are still on the fence. An open house might be a good way to get quick feedback.
Built-in entertainment centers are "passe" and do contribute to dating a home. If this is something you can have done for $500, it may be money well spent.

Since they usually encroach upon a room's space, removing the unit should create a feeling of greater space as well as eliminating the dated factor.

I would have to see the "built in" before making a judgement call on whether or not to remove it. Many people like shelves and "built ins" if they fit nicely into the room without taking away too much space. I would consult with an interior decorator and ofcousre your Listing Agent to get a solid professional opinion regarding the keeping the piece or taking it out.
Flag Tue Dec 4, 2012