Home Selling in Dewitt>Question Details

Lori, Home Seller in Dewitt, MI

I have a 4 bedroom home that i need to sell asap it is all brand new from the ground up siding, windows

Asked by Lori, Dewitt, MI Thu Mar 13, 2008

electric heating/cooling paint carpet cabinets everything brand new, includes in ground swimming pool 2 car garage appraised last fall at 188,000 what would be a fair asking price to sell this home.

Answers

12
Lori,
As you can see, everyone is recommending getting a professional opinion of value from a real estate agent. My caveat is that you get a professional opinion of value by more than one agent. Have an interviewing process, have agents view your home and don't do any online market analysis' offered. Take the time to interview several agents and get their gut feeling as to the value of your home (at least 3). Ask them what they believe your home will sell for-gut feeling. If time is of the essence, you need to know the anticipated sale price, not just a fair asking price. Use the median price, the price in the middle of all three agents interviewed. This will most likely be the most accurate.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 14, 2008
Good afternoon Lori, I'm a Realtor with Tomie Raines Inc. in East Lansing and as a local Realtor that knows our market well, I can tell you that your very first step is a comparative market analysis. This is something that any agent can provide for you. However you'll want to make sure that you are getting the analysis from an agent that has the ability to market your home in many areas on the internet. This approach will position your home for maximum exposure and provide you with the most return on your investment within your allotted time frame. In addition, your home sounds very nice, but using any past appraisal to gauge what you should sell for is not the best approach. Our market is constantly changing and the only way to stay in front of the market is to use current comps, which is what any appraiser will use when your home actually sells. Hopefully, this helps with your decision to move forward with selling and marketing your home.
Wow, how the vultures circle.
Greedy people at least partly responsible for this current mess!
LORI -

I AM LOOKING FOR A HOME IN DEWITT WITH AN INGROUND POOL AND AT LEAST 4 BEDROOMS. THIS SOUNDS PERFECT AND WE WOULD LIKE TO LOOK AT YOUR HOME BUT I HAVE NO CONTACT INFORMATION. HOW CAN I GET AHOLD OF YOU?

MY FIANCE AND I WILL BE TRAVELING TO DEWITT THIS WEEKEND TO VIEW OTHER HOMES WE HAVE FOUND ON LINE.
Where is the house located. I'm currently in the market to buy a home in Dewitt. Do you have it listed?

Michelle
Hi Lori,
I'm sorry that it took me so long to answer your inquiry - I was away yesterday. My husband, David and I (Judy) are Keller Williams Realtors who serve the Dewitt, Jamesville, Fayetteville Manlius areas. The other Realtors who responded are absolutely correct, you do need to meet with an agent who is familiar with your area and who can assess your home and the sales of homes recently.
If you would like to contact us, please feel free to visit our website and/or call us at 315-372-3024. We would love to meet with you and see how we can help you get our house sold.
Lori, you really need to have a conversation with a local agent. I do know one that is very good that I can refer you to. (Actually I grew up in St. Johns!) Feel free to go to my website: http://www.GoMelinda.com and ask me to have her give you a call.

I have a seller that I am working with and his loan officer said compared to 1 year ago that you have to take a minimum of $15,000 - $20,000 off of the appraisal because homes have gone done in value in our state so much. However, I would not take that as fact. You want an agent that will tell you the truth and not string you along! Let me know if I can get you in contact with the agent I know there.

I hope this information helps! Best Wishes!
Web Reference: http://www.gomelinda.com/
Lori
This is a two part answer. The first part, and I've said this before: I do not recommend posting "I need to sell ASAP" in an online forum like this. This post could compromise your bargaining power. Also, depending upon your situation, I discourage sellers from using words like "Desparate, priced to sell, must sell now, bring all offers" They are, IMHO, not helpful.

Part two is this: You need someone that can showcase the value, the features, and benefits of your homes, and tell the market about them. You need, as all have echoed, a local Realtor that knows your market, knows your home, and knows your situation, to advise you.

Appraised value 12 months ago is probably not a good indicator of Fair Market Value. The actual selling price is based on the laws of supply and demand. Have your Realtor provide you with a Comparable Market Analysis - what are homes, like yours, selling for now, and how long does it take to sell them?

In most cases homes that sell in the first 30 days of market time sell for closest to asking price. So do not over price "just to get my profit". What you paid, how much you invested, how much you owe, does not matter to a buyer.

If you need more help please re-post.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
No one who has answered is from Dewitt, you need a licensed Realtor in your area, to do a Comparative Market Analysis for you as they know the area you are in.
Web Reference: http://MissyCaulk.com
Lori, If your need to sell is because of financial problems, I suggest seeking assistance now and remaining in contact with your mortgage(s) providers. In this market they are usually willing to try helping if you are honest with them up front.

Maureen is correct. How often do you purchase something sight unseen? Having all the updated features in your home may make your home easier to sell. Do not expect to recover 100 percent of the cost of improvements.

A list of FHA approved home inspectors is available at https://entp.hud.gov/idapp/html/apprlook.cfm
Web Reference: http://www.mi-living.com
Lori;
We agree with Maureen. No one can really tell you what the asking price should be unless they have walked through your home and have pretty good knowledge of what is going on around your neighborhood and the market in general. We recommend you interview a Realtor and let them do a market analysis on your house to see where it comes in. If you need a referral, let us know and we can recommend you to a skilled agent in your area.
You need to have a Realtor who knows your market and sees your home give you an updated market analysis. If you are selling by owner, you can also order a new appraisal and make sure the appraiser knows the purpose of the appraisal.

Maureen Fran…, Real Estate Pro in Birmingham, MI