Home Selling in Milwaukie>Question Details

Marilyn, Home Seller in Milwaukie, OR

I have a 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom, view property on half acre in Milwaukie, Oregon. should I sell now?

Asked by Marilyn, Milwaukie, OR Wed Oct 15, 2008

It need some TLC, like carpeting and painting of choice. If I do that I would have to ask more for the property. I think it is worth $300,000 the way it sits on the top of a hill with a nice territorial view. Can I realise that much now or do I need to wait for the market to turn around some? I NEED to sell the home.

Answers

7
Hi Marilyn-
I too live in your area and I just noticed your question. You may have already found your solution but I wonder if you have considered having your home professionally staged. Staging is a powerful marketing tool and your home is your most valuable marketing commodity. I noticed the National Association of Realtors has been referenced once already but I would also add that according to the NAR a staging investment of 1-3% of your asking price can generate return of 8-10%. Most prospective buyers (9 out of 10) look at homes on the internet first. It is so important that your photos make an impression. If you can get them to your door then you have a chance. Staging goes beyond decluttering and cleaning. Staging creates a space that buyers will desire. Professional stagers are trained to do this well. Many people are in your position and need to sell their homes, that is why I became a professional stager. I believe it can change things. It cost less than you think, and a good stager will work with you so that it's affordable. I hope this gives you some food for thought.
Ruth Howard
HSR Certified Professional Home Stager and Redesigner
503-318-6772
Marilyn,
The hard truth is that by replacing carpet and painting (neutral colors) you will simply be attracting buyers to come and view your home that may not have otherwise. I know that logically you probably think if you do this updating you should be able to realize some increase in your asking price, right? I am finding that not to be the case. With so many houses to choose from buyers are getting really picky, and they can be. They want the house to shine like a new penny, show like a model home and be at the lowest price out there in there price range. Those are the houses that are getting sold. It's very difficult to give you really specific advise given I've not been inside your home. I know that priced right and showing well with good marketing you'll sell it, average market time is nearly 4 months right now. I'm available if you're inclined.
Robin Weisgerber
Keller Williams Realty-SW Portland
503-481-3234
Hi Marilyn,

To let you know if the home would sell for the price you think it is worth, you should get a CMA (comparative market analysis). Most realtors will do that free of charge. There are buyers in every market looking for a variety of thing. At this moment I have a client looking for a property that may match your criteria depending on the layout of the home and property. If you would like a CMA feel free to call me @ 503-341-5363 or email me at sonyaj@windermere.com

Sonya Jackson
Real Estate Broker
Dear Marilyn,
Any house will sell in any market for the right price. In the Portland Metro area homes that go on the market for about 10% below the "market value" are selling better. I'm seeing far to many houses going up for sale at market value and then just sitting because they don't have something that sets them apart. You want to shine next to your competition. If you take that golden first couple of weeks and price it well, you will sell. The condition and appearance of your property will draw the buyer in, you need them to get inside your house. NAR (National Association of Realtors) has told us that if you have 10 showings in 2 weeks without an offer or 2 weeks and no showings it's the price.
I live in Wilsonville and if you'd like some help check my website or call me at 503-481-3234.
Sincerely, Robin Weisgerber
Hi Marilyn,

I am an experianced Realtor in Pittsburgh with some advise. While this is for many a difficult economic swing, there are many buyers looking for a great deal and rates are still low. I do not know your specific market and that why you should find a Realtor who can really give you a sense of where your home would actually sell now and suggestions for impovements. Let me know if you need help finding a top agent in your city

The biggest advise I have is to clean up the home and "stage" as much as possible and then price your home to sell. Do not test the waters or price your home high thinking someone might offer top dollar. Reducing the price of your home over months is not the way to go- price it correctly from the start and know the competition you are up against.

Best of luck with selling your home fast and please let me know if I can assist with helping you find a Realtor in the area, liz@pittsburghhomesite.com
Marilyn,
If you "need" to sell the house, then this is the time to put it on the market. Have you had a market analysis by a Realtor done on your home. The market is slow right now, but those that want/need to buy are out there looking. I'd like to do a quick walk through your house and prepare a Market Analysis for you at not cost or obligation. I may also be able to suggest some things that you could do to make the house show better, that will cost you very little. I am an Accredited Home-Staging Specalist, along with being a Principal Broker. Give me a call and let's find a time we could meet and do a quick walk through of the house.

Jean Pritchard
.Principal Broker
John L Scott PTL
503-680-4449
Hi Marilyn - I live in Gladstone so am not far from you and have been in the Milwaukie/Gladstone area for 15+ years. I'd be happy to come take a look at your home and come up with a list of pointers on what types of projects would be worthwhile to do (if any) and work on a game plan to get you sold. You mention that you NEED to sell so you'll want to price the home competitively - the traditional home seller is the hardest market to be in right now with all the bank owned and short sale homes out there selling cheap. In order for you to sell quickly, you'll have to be priced in that same range as the repo's and short sales, or offer something better than they can. Your 1/2 acre in Milwaukie is a plus. Is the lot dividable?

I would love to come take a look and see how I can help. Just send me an email or give a call if you'd like to set up a time to show me your home and talk.

Kelly Gebler
Real Estate Broker & Financing Specialist
Commonwealth Group & Sunset Mortgage
Ph: 503-516-1637
email: LetUsGuideYouHome@comcast.net