Home Selling in Mine Hill>Question Details

NCP, Home Seller in Mine Hill, NJ

I have a 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom home with a number of upgrades that I would like to put on the market.

Asked by NCP, Mine Hill, NJ Thu Aug 16, 2012

But my kitchen, while functional, is a little dated in terms of cabinet and countertop. An upgrade would cost 12K. Is it worth it in this market esp in Mine Hill?

Answers

9
please call me at 973-805-0156 to discuss your options

Thank You
Juan Gallego
It rarely pays to make costly upgrades to your home prior to selling in this market. However, an updated kitchen is important to many buyers. It also depends on the neighborhood and location that you're in. It's very hard to say without seeing your home and the location that it's in. I would be happy to take a look at your home- with no pressure to list. I highly recommend having a real estate agent take a look at it before you spend the money if you are definitely selling.

With regard to listing your home for sale, I recommend interviewing several experienced realtors, and choose the one that you are most comfortable with and that you think be the most aggressive in marketing your home. You also want to choose a realtor that will do everything in their power to keep the deal together once you are under contract. You should keep in mind that many Realtors will try to get you to agree to a listing term of a year or even longer- there is absolutely no reason to commit to a realtor for that long. That's a red flag indicating they are probably the type of realtor who will just put a sign in front of your home and hope for the best. Kristina Erins, my partner and I, are averaging 54 days to contract for our closings and new sales this year.

You also what to choose a realtor with a large office, that has a strong support staff and actual realtors who have seen your home answering the phones. At many smaller real estate companies, calls will go straight to voicemail even in the middle of the day. Our office- Weichert Realtors in Sparta has 90+ realtors- so we have enough realtors to be answering the phone from 8:30 to 9:00 on weekdays and 8:30 to 6:00 on weekends. Weichert Realtors is the market leader in Mine Hill, Morris County and all of Northern New Jersey. I'd love to speak with you further about what Weichert has to offer, but I will say that we have an internet presence that goes way beyond any of our competitors.

Me and my partner are a team of two full-time 2011 NJAR Circle of Excellence Award winners. We have an extremely high success rate. In 2011 we sold 27 homes, and have closed on 21 units year to date. Our internet marketing plan is unsurpassed, and we guarantee a minimum of one open house a month, and we pride our selves in making ourselves available 24/7 via phone, text, or e-mail.

Please feel free to call/text me at (973) 903-2862 or e-mail me at rayerins@yahoo.com anytime. I'd be happy to answer any additional questions, and would really love to have the opportunity to meet with you.
Please call Me at 973-8050156 to setup a meeting

Thank you
J Gallego
It would be best to get a few opinions from realtors in your area .There may be a few simple fixes you can do to dress up your kitchen without doing a total renovation. The reality is if the home is priced right at a very cometitive price most buyers will overlook the dated kitchen and redo it themselves.
I WOULD HAVE TO SEE YOUR HOME BEFORE ANSWERING YOUR QUESTION.
iF THE HOUSE IS ATTRACTIVE ENOUGH IN ALL IT'S OTHER FEATURES, YOU CAN PROBABLY PASS ON THE KITCHEN UPGRADE AND EXCEPT A SLIGHTLY LOWER PRICE.
ON THE OTHER HAND, THE KITCHEN IS PROBABLY THE BIGGEST SINGLE DRAW FOR NEW HOME PURCHASERS, AND A NEW KITCHEN WILL PROBABLY HELP YOU ACHIEVE A FASTER, AND HIGHER PRICED SALE.
I WOULD BE HAPPY TO MEET WITH YOU AND GIVE YOU MY SUGGESTIONS. CALL MY CELL AT 201-618-0309 OR E MAIL ME AT MURPHP@OPTONLINE.NET.
BEST OF LUCK TO YOU,
MURPH PLISHTIN
WEICHERT REALTORS
PARSIPPANY
In my experience if the home has other features and upgrades and it's reasonably priced most buyers would overlook the outdated kitchen. A quick Inexpensive fix is some new hardware, fresh coat of paint, and window treatments.

There's two types of buyers; ones that want a turn key home and those that expect to do a little work.

You can always email me with any questions. Elena.cesario@century21.com
5 Things to do Before Putting Your Home on the Market
1.Have a pre-sale home inspection.
Be proactive by arranging for a pre-sale home inspection. An inspector will be able to give you a good indication of the trouble areas that will stand out to potential buyers, and you’ll be able to make repairs before open houses begin.
2.Organize and clean.
Pare down clutter and pack up your least-used items, such as large blenders and other kitchen tools, out-of-season clothes, toys, and exercise equipment. Store items off-site or in boxes neatly arranged in the garage or basement. Clean the windows, carpets, walls, lighting fixtures, and baseboards to make the house shine.
3.Get replacement estimates.
Do you have big-ticket items that are worn our or will need to be replaced soon, such your roof or carpeting? Get estimates on how much it would cost to replace them, even if you don’t plan to do it yourself. The figures will help buyers determine if they can afford the home, and will be handy when negotiations begin.
4.Find your warranties.
Gather up the warranties, guarantees, and user manuals for the furnace, washer and dryer, dishwasher, and any other items that will remain with the house.
5.Spruce up the curb appeal.
Pretend you’re a buyer and stand outside of your home. As you approach the front door, what is your impression of the property? Do the lawn and bushes look neatly manicured? Is the address clearly visible? Are pretty flowers or plants framing the entrance? Is the walkway free from cracks and impediments?

You do not need to do a major renovation prior to listing your property. Best of luck in the sale of your home. In this market with limited inventory, I can imagine that it will sell quickly even without an upgrade in the kitchen.

Fred Yancy, Broker
Crye-Leike Realtors
(678) 799-4663
Hi

I can show you some comparable sales to help you decide if it is worth an upgrade or not.
I also have years of experience as a Kitchen designer.

let me know if I can help
When it comes to upgrades you have two choices, do them prior to putting the house on the market, or reduce the price enough to make the home attracticve to buyers without the upgrades. I would do the upgrades. A lot of buyers will not even look at house that is not updated. And the ones who will are looking for a real bargain. They will not only want to save the cost of the upgrades, but something more to compensate them for the time and trouble of doing the work themselves. There may be some things you could do that would make the kitchen look more up to date without too much expense. I would be happy to come take a look and give you my opinion. Just email me at smacdowell@kw.com and we'll find a mutually convenient time.