Home Selling in Paw Paw>Question Details

Jody, Other/Just Looking in Paw Paw, IL

I have a 10 acre horse farm for sale by owner inPaw Paw IL Dekalb county. I can't afford a realtors fee. Any?

Asked by Jody, Paw Paw, IL Wed Mar 19, 2008

Do you have any suggestions on how to sell my home or advertise?

Answers

11
Hello Jody. Congrats on taking on this challenge. Sounds like you are trying to get the most money out of your sale as possible. My suggestions will be in keeping with that. There are a variety of things you can incorporate to sell your property.

Here are just a few ideas. All of them working together should generate some interest. Preparation: First thing to do before you start is to get some fabulous photos of the property highlighting its best features. Go onto a website to get an overhead aerial and use that photo, too or have one taken. (If you want to spend the money.) Make sure the property looks great and clutter free. Do a search on the internet for home staging ideas (or go to my site for seller tips). Pictures should be digital.

Next have professional sign/s made for the property. They should be larger than a regular real estate sign as you have a large property. Check your local zoning laws first. Set up a web address for the property and put it on the sign. Search for free websites for your property. Attach an info box on you signs with brochures in it containing the web info on them as well.

Put together a package listing all the features of the property with photos, survey, any info you can get regarding the property. If you can, have it scanned into a computer file (pdf) and use it to email to prospects and anyone you know, who may know someone who could be interested. Put flyers everywhere you can where people will see them. Contact horse clubs and associations that mey have a member interested in your property. Look all over the country using the internet. Search for these clubs and organizations. Send them your property web site and pdf file.Go on to all the free advertising sites to advertise online. Jody, these are just a few of many things you can do on your own. There are "by owner" sites you can visit to get more info.

Jody, You have an amazing property I am sure and this will probably be one of the biggest financial transactions of your life. You said you could not afford a realtor fee. If you have never sold a property before and are nervous about it, It would not hurt to consult a realtor who specializes in your type of property. Studies have shown that a realtor assisted sale nets over 26% more money than non represented seller sale. A good agent will be able to get you through all the pitfalls of selling a property. This kind of guidance is very valuable. Many people can and do sell on their own. As an agent myself I have seen many try only to end up using the services of an agent after lots of time and frustration. With all respect I suggest you speak to a couple of agents in your area. Do not feel obligated agents should be happy to meet with you and discuss your options. I will be happy to guide you to the best in your area.
All the best and I wish you every success!!! I am sure others can add to these ideas!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 19, 2008
Would you consider a house swap? We are looking to move further north. We live in Cary, NC (voted safest town in the U.S. a few years ago). The hospitals here are excellent! Our neighborhood is a really pretty, tree-lined, middle class neighborhood, near one of the nicest parks in the town.

Elizabeth H.
Jody,

My wife and I have a farm in southern illinois and we are moving back up to your area. We would love to find a place with acreage where we could bring the horses and a few head of other livestock.

You can contact us through the contact us form on our business web site, http://www.BiologyJobs.com
You can see a little about us, the farm, and the business at http://www.BiologyArticles.net
We are serious, if the price is within our range.
Get a Realtor in Dekalb to help you. You will have a slim chance of selling it on your own. Good luck.
It's not a matter of not liking the farm. I have a 5 year old daughter with Crohn's and we are driving to wisconsin every two weeks. I already had enough of Childrens hospital in Chicago. Wisconsin Childrens hospital saved my daughters life. I really would like to be closer. Thank you for your response.
hi

keep the farm

if you like it

anyways

good luck
Jody,

I guess I am the first Realtor to respond from Dekalb! As a Realtor I of course recommend using a Realtor, especially with a unique property such as yours. My office, Century 21 Elsner in Dekalb actually has sold several horse farms. Basically my recommendation is to interview a few agents. I would be more than happy to be one of them! Ha Ha. On a realistic note though, one thing I could do, which I would recommend you ask all agents to do, is sit down with you and see what you can afford. How much will the realtors fees + closing costs, taxes, etc. add up to. When you know that it will help you make a decision. Good luck and I hope to hear from you!
As Dekalb County is a bit out there, the value of having your property listed in the MLS cannot be understated. Consider using a discount broker where they take a small flat fee for the MLS listing and give the lions share +2% to the buyers agent. I read somewhere that over 90% of listings are sold by agents other than the listing agent so pay a comission where it will do the most good.

Greg Zaccagni
Of course, I feel that the value of a Realtor is priceless. You may feel that can't afford a Realtor, but can you afford NOT to have one? Have you sent information on your farm to the local feed mills and tack shops?
Jody,

I don't know if 26% is a valid number in your area as far as Non-Represented Sellers Vs Realtor sales but I can Guarantee you that 14% is valid across the board. From year to year the difference oscillates between 14% to 16% more money in YOUR pocket when you use a REALTOR!. This has been verified not only by the National Association of Realtors but also honest independant studies such as done by the Univeristy of Texas.

Bettina gave excellent advice. She refers to checking your local ordinance regarding the sign. That is very important since allowable size varies from county to county...you want the sign to be as big as the county allows. I use 4 X 8 signs and they are of such a quality that they last a few years. My rural properties sometimes take that long to sell because of the uniqueness of the properties and the limited pool of buyers.

Speaking of a limited pool of buyers you have to expose your property to every possible buyer and this includes possibly the international set.

Talk to various horse clubs and possibly other property owners to find 2 or more agents to interview. It will be well worth it.

Agents will want to TELL you what they are going to do. Make them SHOW you what they have done. YOU want RESULTS!

Now some math for those percent challenged folks out there (belive it or not I'm talking about other agents)

Property Sale Price $500,000
Agent fee 10%
Other Closing Costs $10,000
Money to YOU before bank payoff $440,000

Non Represented Sale Loosing 14% $420,000
Closing Costs $10,000
Money to YOU before bank payoff $430,000

See why it makes sense! Not only that, did you know beyond what you see on the surface of a REALTOR's work there are around 200 different steps involved in getting the property SOLD and the transaction CLOSED sucessfully?

I hope this helps you

JD "Dan" Weisenburger, GRI
Broker-Associate
Vanguard Realty, Inc. GMAC Real Estate
Web Reference: http://www.neflahomes.com
Jody,

I certainly understand the desire to want to save money whenever possible in todays economy. I will give you some suggestions on marketing your property and home on your own. In today's market, however I strongly encourage you to interview a Realtor ( or 2 ). You may find that the fees you will pay them will benefit you in the long term. Your horse farm is a large investment and you should have a professional on your side as your advocate.

With that said, to do this on your own you should consider the following:

1. Online advertising- 80% of consumers are going online to do their initial shopping when looking for property.
2. Get your property in tip top shape! This is a competitive market and buyers have a lot to choose from- make yours stand out.
3. Price right!!! Do some research to find out what homes/land are going for in your area and make sure you are competitively priced to sell!

I hope this helps! Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions & Good Luck!!