Home Selling in Fort Wayne>Question Details

Yamara Santos, Home Seller in Fort Wayne, IN

I had ro relocate and trying to sell my house in Fort Wayne. It has been on the market for 4 mon & 21 showings but no offers. What to do?

Asked by Yamara Santos, Fort Wayne, IN Thu Sep 29, 2011

I have only heard two negatives. One is the carpet and the other is layout. I can negoitate with carpet but I can't do anything about the layout.

Answers

7
Scott Godzyk’s answer
You need to have your listing agent complete a new broker priceopinion, you need to assess what your house is worth in todays market and make sure your house is priced at or just below market value. That is the first step. The question is why isnt your listing agent getting feeback on the other 19 showings. it is important to know how buyers feel so you know what to do about it, good luck with your sale
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Hi Yamara, There are 3 reasons that a property doesn't sell; wrong price, bad condition and poor marketing. Take a look at these 3 areas with your Realtor and see where the problems lie, then make adjustments. If the condition is poor, you may need to lower your price or pretty it up with some fresh paint.

Perception is everything, if you can give the place a fresh coat of paint and shampoo the carpets it might make a huge difference, then take new photos. Make sure you have good curb appeal and show photos of the surrounding amenities, eg park , restaurants etc...ask yourself why would someone want to buy your home? Staging works and it doesn't have to be expensive (I'm the owner of a Staging company - Focal Point Designs, in VA), remember the 3 staging rules, clean, declutter and depersonalize, if the property is still lived in.

As to the market, have your agent do a broad market search, not just looking in your own neighborhood. Buyers are looking around your subdivision, not just in one place. Take a look at the sold in the past 60-90 days to get a more accurate picture of what the market is doing...

I hope this helps some.
HI. That really stinks, I am sure you are frustrated. When I talk with my potential clients I jot down what I hear their goals are. When we meet, I write them out in statement form, so I can be sure we are all on the same page. My question to you would be, what is your goal? To sell your house quickly? To wait out the sale in an effort to find that one unique buyer who will pay top dollar for your home? Some where in between? From there we could make a plan of action.
I would say there is something about your listing--be it price, pictures, etc... which is not attracting the buyers FOR YOUR HOME. I tell my sellers, we don't want to waste our time on showings for people who aren't interested in your home... so there is no reason to advertise it as spacious if it is not, or updated if it is not. Since the negatives you heard have to do with lay out... I wonder if the marketing reflects the true value your home brings? Or if it gives an impression of something it is not?
Good luck!!
Hi Yamara, these agents offered some excellent advice on the things you can or may have to do to get your property sold. The 3 most important things to remember when putting your home on the market are: Price, Product and Promotion. Is it priced correctly, does the product show well and is it being aggressively promoted? A professional Realtor can help you with almost all of these; a professional Stager like me can also help with the "product" (home) by making sure your property is ATTRACTING buyers!!

I'm the owner of Stunning Staging & Redesign LLC right here in Fort Wayne, IN. I specialize in Home Staging and I can definitely help you with the "layout" by using Staging tricks that work! I can also help view the home as a buyer would so you can make the necessary investments that will help you get your property sold :-) You can review my website for more info then feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions, I'd love to help you!

p.s. I'm assuming you are working with a Realtor already? If not, I highly recommend one and know a few that would love to offer their expertise.

p.s.s Don, if you are reading, thank you for sharing the importance of Staging!
Wow! 21 showings is a lot! If you are still listed an agent I would have a discussion with them and maybe take another look at the market. Layout is obviously something you can't help, but price is. Whenever a listing gets that many showings and no offers it means it's overpriced. Good luck to you!
Web Reference: http://ChristiansenTeam.com
Your house doesn't show well. That's reflected by a lot of showings (lot of people willing to pay what you're asking for a house your size and in your location) but no offers.

Get a home stager to give you an evaluation. It'll probably cost a few hundred dollars, but will be well worth it.

Tip: Fix problems you can fix. Don't negotiate. Buyers want properties in good condition, in move-in shape. Buyers also aren't good at imagining what improvements will look like. They're also terrible at estimating what repairs and improvements will cost. So, spend $500-$1,000 on some decent-looking, inexpensive carpet (if it needs new carpet). Don't leave the old stuff in there and figure you can give a credit. That's ineffective.

Tip: A stager can do a lot about the layout. No, you can't move walls. But my moving furniture, repositioning items, perhaps replacing larger pieces with smaller ones, changing window coverings, etc., you can minimize a lot of layout issues . . . and provide other things for buyers to focus on.

Tip: Most buyers (and lots of agents) are reluctant to provide negative feedback. They just don't like doing so. Therefore, while there might indeed be problems with the carpet and the layout, I'll bet there are other problems that people haven't mentioned. That's why you need a stager to give your house an evaluation. Also, ask your Realtor for a frank evaluation of your home.

Reducing the price or offering to negotiate isn't a substitute for fixing problems before buyers take a look at the property.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Review with your agent your pricing strategy, look at comps, recently sold similar properties in the immediate area; see what the data suggests-- if your pricing needs adjusting, adjust accordingly. Also make sure the the property shows well at all times, is neat, clean, clutter free, remove/rearrange bulky furniture, fresh paint, possibly consider removing the carpeting, spruce up the exterior for curb appeal, etc.