Home Selling in Riverhead>Question Details

Katy Parker, Home Seller in Riverhead, NY

I had my house listed, at the end of my contract a neighbor offered to buy my house, I accepted offer then

Asked by Katy Parker, Riverhead, NY Mon Sep 29, 2008

backed out and chose not to sell, a few months later buyer knocked on door and asked to purchase home. can I sell without realtor?

You need to check what your contract says. What was the expiration date on your listing and if you "backed out", was there an obligation date to re-list? Also, was this a buyer who had seen it with a Realtor, while it was listed? Read the contract carefully.
Hi Katy,

Yes you can sell without a realtor, you can do so through a real estate attorney in NY or a title company in many states. Good luck!
If you accepted the offer while you were listed with an agent with this buyer then you have to review your contract. The agent is due a commission on transactions that were negotiated during the listing and the contract shows how many days after the listing expires that the commission is still due to the agent.
A listing contract is not open-ended. After the expiration date your contract is void. In NYS sometimes it is extended to cover a buyer who was shown the house by an agent during your contract period. Your contract will indicate if that was the case. Check your contract to see if this applies to you. If you list your home with another broker, that clause is voided.
You're not clear if this buyer saw your house while it was listed with the Realtor.If the buyer did, then the realtor is due a commission on the sale. If this is a different buyer that heard about your house for sale by other means and never saw it while it was listed, then the realtor does not get the commission. However, selling a house on your own can be somewhat tricky with all the proper disclosures, inspections, and making it all the way through closing, so be careful. We have seen deals die at the closing table because of some bad information.
If the buyer who is interested saw your house while it was listed with your Realtor, that Realtor is covered for the commission for as many days after the contracts ends as is written in you contract. Check what you agreed upon.

If it is a new buyer, you can sell your own house (although I would personally hire someone to represent me through the transaction in addition to my attorney).
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com