fastnfurious…, Home Seller in Collegeville, PA

I had a Realtor suggest that I put my house on the market and make cosmetic repairs while it is up for sale.When should repairs be made?

Asked by fastnfurious1280, Collegeville, PA Fri Oct 4, 2013

I thought repairs were to be made before it went up for sale.

Answers

17
A home should be showcased at it's best, therefore repairs should be done prior to putting the home on the market. You need to capture a buyer's attention at the first "Hello". If you don't, you've already lost them.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 5, 2013
Before you sign the listing agreement. I will give it a fresh coat of paint, add more lighting and remove some of your big pieces of furniture. After this transformation, you are ready to contact a real estate agent and take hundred of pictures. Pictures will sell your house, is the first thing that potential home buyers see on the internet.

Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone

http://www.Flahomespecialist.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 5, 2013
you only get one chance to make a good first impression. we've all heard that saying before.

And it's true.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 5, 2013
Depends on market conditions. If homes are moving extremely quickly regardless of condition, than this might be okay. In general, however, you want your home looking its best when it first hits the market as those who come through before the cosmetic repairs are made are unlikely to come back a second time.
Web Reference: http://expiredtosoldaz.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 5, 2013
In a "perfect world" your home should be show room ready when you put it on the market. Most agents welcome the opportunity of providing a list of recommendations that should be taken care of as soon as possible...most of which are common sense.

The fact that an agent is willing to take your listing without the necessary repairs may be speaking to their need more than yours. They may want the listing now as opposed to waiting a couple of weeks while the work is done, taking the risk that you could list the property with another agent.

You are absolutely correct: repairs, decluttering, organizing, etc. should be done even before you meet with an agent. It's important to place your best foot forward as early as possible when selling.

Is it acceptable to do the repairs after the fact? Of course....but there is the risk of it detracting from your overall goal....selling the property early in the process and for the highest dollar!

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 5, 2013
I'm of the opinion that you have one opportunity to make an impression. I would delay putting it on the market until it is ready. In a market like this, if you don't have an offer in the first couple of weeks, you need to revise your marketing plan.

Edmund Choi | RE/MAX ADVISORS | 484.324.4731
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 5, 2013
Time is money, the longer you mess around the closer you are to the day interest rates are going to jump. Peeling paint is nothing compared to sticker shock.

Jim Simms
NMLS # 6395
JSimms@cmcloans.com
Financing Kentucky One Home at a Time
I answer questions about financing real estate based on my decades of experience dealing with mortgage underwriters. This answer is my personal opinion, has not been reviewed or approved by the company I work for. I do not offer legal or tax advice, if you need answers from an attorney or CPA find one knowledgeable in your local market.
Web Reference: http://jamessimms.com/

What a great question. Any repair should be made prior to putting the home on the market.

Think of this like a first date, you want your home to look all pretty and spruced up for it's first date. You only get one chance to make a first impression. That being said, I wouldn't suggest spending a lot of money though I have not seen the home. I never encourage my clients to spend a lot of money only to sell the home. A home should be enjoyed while you have it and shouldn't be repaired and updated only to sell it to someone else to enjoy. It is what it is when you decide to sell.

However, if I feel the money can be made back from the sale, I might suggest a repair that may cost a bit more but the object is not to put much money out of your pocket in order to sell.

I could go on for days on this subject.

If you would like to discuss your situation further or your goals, feel free to contact me at reneeporsia@mac.com or at 215.669.0589.

Renée Porsia
Consultant/Associate Broker
RE/MAX Action
215.669.0589 Direct
215.358.1100 Ask for Renée

http://www.reneeporsia.com

Proudly servicing all of Philadelphia, Bucks, Montgomery Counties and New Jersey, full-time for over 13 years.
There are repairs and then there are renovations. I do not recommend my clients partake of any big projects before putting their home up for sale. Your bathroom may need updating, but your taste may not jive with potential buyers and that could be a huge waste of money. Typically, you don't get your money back on that type of project.

If there is minor work to be done: fresh coat of paint, replacing a broken window or door, mulching the flower beds, etc., I strongly recommend to my clients that they handle those things before beginning to show the home.

HOWEVER, I give them a deadline. I've seen sellers drag their feet and miss their opportunity to sell the home. If you commit to making repairs, it is so important to get them completed in a timely basis.

Joshua Stein, REALTOR®, e-Pro®
Coldwell Banker Preferred – Conshohocken

Office: (610) 828-9558 * Cell: (215) 866-8030
Direct: (484) 270-1165 * Fax: (215) 999-5894
Email: jstein@cbpref.com
Web: http://www.joshuasteinhomes.com
Blog: http://jsteinhomes.wordpress.com/

PA License #RS317975
I suggest another option with two parts; perform a pre-listing inspection and get an appraisal.

I pre-listing inspection is very similar to the home inspection performed by home-purchasers and will give you several important benefits, chief among them is a comprehensive list of items to be addressed. Then take care of the items listed; you can use the report AND the list of repairs as a powerful marketing tool which will build confidence in buyers and be a strong differentiator when your home is being compared to other Active listings in your area. Be sure to keep copies of all the receipts and warranties for work performed, if any, so they can be presented to the buyer at Closing.

Second have the home appraised. This will give you vital information when you and your agent discuss pricing strategies. Although "market value" and "appraised value" are two different things it's important to understand what the maximum price might be for those buyers using a mortgage to purchase your home; which is the vast majority of potential buyers!

If you have any additional questions or need clarification please feel free to call or email anytime.

Ken Krauter; Prudential Fox & Roach; 215-450-0605; ken.krauter@foxroach.com
I would do it before it goes live so that you are putting your best foot forward. You only get ONE chance in the MLS and at the "broker's open" to make a first impression. I would hate for your agent to pay to have their photographer come out and it not photograph well. Hope this helps!

Eric Axelson
Thanks for the post. Typically, if repairs or renovations are needed I suggest to my clients to complete them before putting their homes on the open market. Agents assist in guiding their clients, however, it is up to the client to decide from there. I am a proactive agent and I work side-by-side with my clients during the entire process to ensure all goes well with deadlines and we get the homes on the market in a timely manner. Timing is critical in real estate, and depending on the marketing area your agent can guide on this as well. Best of luck to you.
I would disagree with that agent. I ALWAYS suggest to take the time to have the home show its best right from the jump. It is better to take the extra couple of weeks to make sure the home shows its best, like the saying goes, "You only get one chance to make a good first impression".

I live and work in Collegeville and would be happy to discuss the sale and marketing of your home with you.

Andrew Himes
Prudential Fox & Roach, Realtors
Philly Mag 5 Star Agent
267-231-8255
However it is best to have it in prime condition before listing, if the house is in dire need of cosmetic repairs it is going to be helpful to fix them. Another thing is that when showing the house you can allow buyers to know that the more unattractive parts of the home are being worked on and improved upon.
It depends quite a bit on the condition of your home. Some repairs should be done before it goes up for sale (for instance, if you have a hot pink bedroom that might not appeal to everyone, or a broken window) but if the repairs are minor it is acceptable to do while it is up for sale. Sometimes these cosmetic repairs are best left for the buyers to request for you to change, since everybody has different tastes and it might not even be worth repairing or replacing something existing. Hopefully this makes sense! If you have any specific questions, feel free to email me at katie@everyhome.com, no obligation. Best of luck!
It sounds counterproductive to do the repairs after listing the home. Your goal should be to introduce the home to the public in its best condition & best price. Doing repairs post listing will only confuse buyers because photos may not be consistent as work is being done. Also, working while actively listed may hinder the ability to show the home. No buyer wants to walk through a home when the homeowner is home "swinging the hammer". If you'd like to explore other result producing options feel free to contact me directly.

Chris Nelson
Remax Services
Philly Mag Five Star Pro Award Winner
484-576-7430
iknowreo@gmail.com
I always tell my sellers that there are only so many people looking in your particular area for your particular type of home in your particular price range. Therefore, it is always best to have it in tip top shape prior to listing it because one they have viewed it, the chances of them revisiting are slim.