Home Selling in Evanston>Question Details

anonymous, Home Seller in Evanston, IL

I don't feel as though my listing agent is holding up her end of the agreement. What can I do?

Asked by anonymous, Evanston, IL Mon Jun 24, 2013

I chose my listing agent because she promised a lot of marketing and to always keep me updated. We discussed price and she told me I was completely realistic in what I was looking for (20K below a similar unit in the same building). Now I have to reach out to her just to find out anything, there's only been 6 showings in a month (one of which said they were very interested and planned to put in an offer but I never saw an offer), and I haven't seen any results from her "innovative marketing". I think it's because her other listings are a lot pricier (aka higher commission). This is a 6 month contract and I don't want to waste the summer months with a real estate agent that is less than helpful. I need to sell. How do I motivate her to do her job?

Answers

16
you need to meet with her. explain to her ALL of your concerns. setup a schedule where she will updated you with all the activity: showings,feedback, offers, marketing, prior week's real estate for your area, new listings, sold, competition.
To have six showings in a month is doing well, eventually you will get that buyer who wants to make an offer. The feedback from the agents who have shown your home is what your agent should be offering to you every time your home is shown. This is going to let you know what you need to do if anything to help get that offer. Your marketing agreement is with you and the brokerage company, not that agent. That agent is your 'designated agent'. You can easily contact the company and speak with the managing broker. Let them understand how you feel and ask for a new agent to represent you if you are not able to resolve the issue with the agent. Good luck!

I suggest you a) have a conversation with your listing agent; ask her what are her plans for future marketing, what are the most recent comps, is a price adjustment necessary, where is she promoting, ask him/her to send you weekly or bi-weekly reports, etc... and, b) if you don't get satisfaction then speak to the managing broker.

Finally, if you really are unhappy check your listing agreement and determine how many days you need to cancel, most (if not all) listing agreements have an exit clause. Once you know that then comply and move on.

Discuss all your issues with your agent. Set up a set time to get updates daily, weekly, etc. and stick to them. Ask for feedback from showings.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks!
Alexis Kaplan
@properties
Alexiskaplan@atproperties.com
773-910-2646
You've gotten several good answers here. It seems you are referring to a condo unit as you mentioned you have it listed $20K below others in same building.

That said,
What is the average market time to sell a condo in your building?
How long have the other units been on the market?
Have units been selling nearby, and if so at what price points?
How does your unit compare to others that are currently for sale, under contract or recently sold? Look at what level yours is compared to others, what it looks out onto, finishes, etc.206 area cod

Has your agent followed up with the 6 showings you did have to get feedback about how the showings went?
If you were supposed to get an offer but didn't, how come? Did that potential buyer find a more attractive option?

If you're motivated to sell and need it sold, speak with your agent about what it will take to get it sold. Are they receptive to making any changes in marketing? Are you receptive to making needed changes to make your unit more appealing- i.e. Pricing, Staging, De-cluttering, Painting?

This all depends on your situation. Thumbs up if you found this helpful, and please select best answer if you found it really helpful :)

Good Luck! Let me know if you have any questions.

Paul Cionczyk| Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage |Broker
312-433-9931 | PaulCionczyk.Broker@gmail.com |PaulCionczyk.com
Web Reference: http://www.paulcionczyk.com
I have had the same problem, I was advised to talk with her and then if things still did not work out terminate the contract. I have decided to wait since it ends this week. The house was shown by two other Realtor and she has not set foot back in it since I signed the contract. I am not selling it myself so I do not get caught up in another contract.
Hi Susan,
Your situation sounds very similar to mine. I think if I stay the course I'm going to try a flat listing fee service after this. I can do all the marketing this agent has done without paying thousands in commissions which will then allow me to drop the price, I just need it on the MLS. My agent has not stepped foot back in my unit either. She passes everything off to her assistant and would not even sit an open house.
Flag Tue Jun 25, 2013
Thomas I went with an agent that a Realtor that was trying to sell me a home set me up with, it was his friend. I was sure that would be a win win situation. I may try again What are the kinds of things need to look for? I have never sold a home before .
Flag Mon Jun 24, 2013
If you are truly unhappy with the service, once the listing agreement expires, you should definately change agents. Interview several. Ask for and check references.
Flag Mon Jun 24, 2013
I would suggest you have a discussion with the agent. Instead of being critical, ask her the question "Why do you think my home is not selling?" You may receive some usefull insights.
My best answer would be to sit down and have a collaborative "heart to heart" with your agent. Give her a chance to hear you and brainstorm. Six showings in a month shows interest. Maybe if the planned was tweaked a little the results can be matched to your goals. How do you motivate - Collaborate.
Yes, Laura is spot on. This is a discussion you want to have with an agent. Express your concerns and ask for more communication.

I often tell people to interview several agents. Communication is what I stress in these interviews. I go over strategies that make sense. We do a marketing analysis. And, the important thing is I follow up. If there is nothing to report - no showings, no new ads, no inquiries, I still report because the seller needs to know this, too. It might be time to adjust the price or call the last agent who brought people by. If I have a number of listings going, I have my assistants call.
I chose the agent because she stressed the same things - communication, strategies. The problem is it turns out is was all just talk.
Flag Tue Jun 25, 2013
Have you considered a listing autopsy?
What is a listing autopsy?
Flag Tue Jun 25, 2013
You have an exclusive listing agreement, as I would imagine, so your options are two. First, I agree, you need to discuss with your agent what you are dissatisfied with and why she is not meeting your expectations. If you are not satisfied with that, you can discuss with her managing broker, if she is not the managing broker yourself.

However, please keep in mind that selling a home is not an exact science and a lot of things are based on others - the market. If she promised marketing that you are not receiving, that is one thing. But sometimes people do not get back from showings and give feedback. That is sometimes difficult. And by the way, depending on the market, six showings in one month is pretty good. But if you are getting showings and not offers, there is a reason. Could be the home does not show well or seem worth the price. Ask her the questions but be open to real answers.
Talk to the manager of this agent. Call the office directly and ask who the managing broker is and explain this to the one in charge. The realty does not want unhappy customers and will look into it. If you do not get satisfaction you can possibly terminate the contract. Even if you have a 6 month contract companies do not want unhappy sellers (or buyers) and will not usually force you to go on. Sometimes if they cannot remedy the situation they will pass it on to another agent in that office.
There are some people like myself who take this job is a professional way and do anything to please their client within reason and will do communicate properly.

Noah Seidenberg
Coldwell Banker Evanston
Toll Free (800) 858-7917
Office (847) 316-8529
Fax (781) 609-0898
On the web:
http://www.coldwellbankerevanston.com/
http://www.noahshomes.com/
Sometimes it is hard to work with half of the pie:
The Listing Agent is seldom also the Selling Agent.
There are hundreds of Agents, who have their own list of potential Buyers; the odds that your Buyer will come from that pool is a lot greater.
6 showings in month is not real great; but you shouldn't blame your Agent:
You should sit down with her and analyze everything.
Maybe you were realistic, and maybe things have changed.
Have her do a new CMA and see what it shows.
How have the Open Houses worked out?
There has only been 1 open house. She doesn't like open houses. I had to beg to get this one. It was not advertised until a day, two at most, before hand. The weather was awful. Only one person showed up. My agent refused to sit at the open house, so she got someone else in her office to do it.
Flag Tue Jun 25, 2013
Almost every problem in real estate is tied to communication, which is a two-way street.

You're telling us what you should be discussing with her.

I suggest that you discuss with your agent what your expectations are of her services and when it comes to the marketing of your home. Ask her what her marketing strategy is for the next month and tell her that you wish to be informed on any activity. Have her go over recent sales in your neighborhood on properties similar to yours to determine if you are still priced fairly.

Best wishes!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty