Home Selling in 60640>Question Details

lindseyhewit…, Other/Just Looking in Chicago, IL

I do not have a real estate agent license or a broker's license. What are the steps I need to take so I can be a buyer's agent?

Asked by lindseyhewitt84, Chicago, IL Wed Sep 19, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


1. A class on patience

2. A German automobile or large SUV

3. A top of the line bluetooth

4. An artist pill that allows you to create visualizations for your buyer

5. A class on scheduling 12 appointments in a ten mile radius within five minutes accuracy

6. A class on returning phone calls, email, and texts

7. A class on using a poorly functioning lockbox

8. A class on entering a property when a lockbox has no keys

9. A class on filling in the blanks

10. Nice shoes
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 4, 2012
Go through CAR as mentioned below or Mainstreet Organization of Realtors


or often a local realty company provides the sponsorship/training to prepare people for the licensing.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 20, 2012
Enroll in a class, study, study, study, study, practice test, real test, get licensed, find a company that you like!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 29, 2012
Hi Lindsey,

I agree with everyone here. The best place to start is the Chicago Association of Realtors website, http://chicagorealtor.com/. To clarify, there is no longer a real estate agent license. You must now become a real estate broker. There are many ways and places to complete the education requirements to become a broker, so really think about it before you make your choice. An online course is a great option, however there's a lot to be said about having an instructor available to answer your questions. It's all about what forum works best for you personally.

If you have any questions, I would be happy to chat with you.

Best of luck,
Bill Navarre, Broker
VibeRENT Real Estate
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 26, 2012
got to CAR Real Estae on the Google and sign up for classes
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 24, 2012
Hi Lindsey!

1.First you will need to sign up for the real estate class. I took mine through through CAR. You can do this in person, online or a self study. There are now two parts to the class.

2. Then you will take your exam with the state of Illinois.

3. Next you will decide which brokerage you want to hang your license at.

4. Lastly you will need to become a member of CAR and get access to the MLS.

At each step of the way, there are costs associated. Be prepared to drop around $2k when it is all said and done.

I think that is about it! Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 20, 2012
Contact CAR and get the license requirements.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 20, 2012
You need to go through the real estate exam process. So call up a company, get enrolled in the classes, and then take the exam.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 19, 2012
Here is the link with the requirements and there is a link with their class schedule on here:


Good Luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 19, 2012
Contact the Chicago Association of Realtors, find out what their class schedule is and what is required for you to be a Real Estate Broker. Good luck!!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 19, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer