Lindsey Vacek, Home Buyer in West, TX

I came home to the home that I am selling left unlocked and with the sliding door wide open, after a long weekend. What can I do to report my agent?

Asked by Lindsey Vacek, West, TX Mon Jul 22, 2013

Answers

8
Are you this inflexible with your children and fellow workers?
The odds are that another Agent showed the property, not your Agent!
How about nicely asking your Agent who the last person was inside?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 22, 2013
I don't believe that I'm inflexible at all: I literally pre-signed closing documents today; my home is sold. My agent is the only one who had keys to the house, and there is not a keybox on the door. She either left it open, or allowed another person (the appraiser) to be in the home alone, and then did not ask them to lock up, or check to ensure that they locked up, after themselves. Her people, or the appraiser, were the last inside. I don't see how it's "inflexible" of me to be upset that my home was left open to the elements and the world for days while I was entirely unaware, believing that my agent was conscientious and responsible enough to be the gatekeeper to my home.
Flag Mon Jul 22, 2013
There is a fiduciary responsibility for licensed salespersons and brokers to leave a property secure. In Atlanta we have electronic lockboxes (holds the house key) which give all the pertinent information about each showing

Who showed the house
What brokerage holds their license
Personal email address
Personal phone number
Date lockbox was opened
Time Lockbox was opened.

If I was the listing agent for your property, I would have called the last agent to show and then, barring a great explanation - like they are in the hospital with a medical emergency - I would call the broker holding the salesperson's license and ask why I should not contact the licensing complaint board.

I agree, that doors to ocassionaly get left unlocked, But to leave sliding glass doors open and the front door unlocked is difficult to excuse. I personally always test the front door to confirm it is secure before I walk away after a showing. 99% of the agents do likewise.

Sally English
Atlanta GA
http://englishteam.com/
404-229-2995 direct
Web Reference: http://englishteam.com/
This is why you should forget getting a realtor and selling your house on For Sale By Owner. I had similar problems -- repeatedly -- with our realtor, who not only left the door open, but arranged for us to air condition the backyard. As a home owner who has been recently burned, I think sellers should add a clause to their contract that says the agent has a fiduciary responsibility to take care of the owner's home (including reporting major problems that would impede a sale), and if the agent violates that responsibility, the contract is at an end.
You CAN report your agent.

Aside from this event, Lindsey, how'd the rest of the transaction go?
It may not be your agents fault. If the home had been shown, the agent who showed it may be at fault. Your agent is not your property manager, therefore every time there is a showing he or she cannot check up on your home.

To avoid this in the future, have your agent ONLY allow showings when he or she is present, that way you KNOW FOR A FACT that your home is being locked up and will be secure.
Lindsey.
Without exception everyone who responds will understand the distress of this experience . Your home is not a public play ground or amusement center!
-
This is a real possiblilty when we rely on others to maintain the same level of professionalism to which we hold ourselves. The creates an expectation that others will be as conscieneince.
-
As others have pointed out, other agents will show the property without the listing agent being present.For instance, if an agent has attended one of my home presentations, I DO allow them to show the second time without my presense since they are familiar with the homes attributes.
-
Too often, when the agents assitant is asked. "have the doors been locked?" the assistant is unaware the spouse took a second look at the back yard and deck. Or the baby was crying or the agent was consumed with the phone call regarding the next destination. There are reasons, but hardly any are acceptable. The door was left unlocked. Now, who did it?
-
Get the facts first.
Then, you can decide which of the following actions to take.
1. Showing can only be scheduled and accomidated with listing agent present.
2. Showing can only be done AFTER listing agent is callled. (this allows the listing agent to personally reinforce security concerns.
3. Post a note to verify all doors and window locked, HVAC set to xxdegrees and all lights Off/On.
4. Listing agent arrives after showing to verify.
5. Ban guilty agent/broker from showing property in future.
6. Replace agent if the facts support such action.

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Plam Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
Thanks for the response. We are closing on the 31st; the home is sold. There was an appraiser in the home on Thursday of last week, but my agent is the one with the key to the house, and is therefore responsible for those entering and leaving, no? Either way, she made it seem like it was MY fault, and I had nothing to do with it and was at my new home in another state while all of this occurred!
Flag Mon Jul 22, 2013
Contact the listing office. Honestly, this type of thing happens all of the time and your agent can only remind other agents to lock all doors, shut lights, etc. Maybe in the future you can require your agent be there for all showings or don't show when away.

Chris
If you have an electronic lockbox on your home, your agent will be able to access the log to determine who last opened the box. This may also help determine how long your home was left unsecured, and who would be responsible. Is there anyone else with keys to your home? Would recommend taking an inventory of your belongings in the home to see if anything is missing or damaged.
The agent who left your house unsecured has seriously breached their professional duties and obligations, and should be held responsible.