Home Selling in Grand Rapids>Question Details

Mary, Home Seller in Michigan

I am wondering what real estate professionals in Grand Rapids would charge for a typical commission for a

Asked by Mary, Michigan Wed Feb 6, 2008

house worth approximately $100,000 in the 49504 zip code. My understanding is that 6% is still the standard. I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks.

Answers

7
Mary,

Commissions are always negotiable. This is true in all parts of the country......but you get what you pay for!
Web Reference: http://www.OwnGR.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 25, 2008
Thank you Gary! I was beginning to wonder what was going on here. Commission is completely negotiable. Listen to a few listing presentations and go with the agent best equipped to sell your house.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 20, 2008
There is no such thing as a standard commission. Furthermore, the discussion of a Standard commission leads one to conclude that REALTORS have colluded to set a "fixed" or "Standard" price which is clear violation of Federal Anti Trust Laws.

Mary, there are "typical" amounts for services and typical prices or even set prices in various firms, but the amount that you are willing to pay and willing to negotiate is 100% up to you and the broker that you eventually decide to hire.

Good luck and I hope you find the right person to sell your home.

Gary De Pury
Broker-Owner
Bay Vista Realty
Director, Florida Association of REALTORS®
Chairman, Communications Committee
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 20, 2008
Thanks for your question. Commission is a significnant part of most real estate transactions and it can vary considerably in every price range in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area. I would suggest that while the percent of commission is a concern, the issue of greater importance is exactly what you are getting for what you pay.

There are service providers who charge several hundred dollars to enter your home listing on the Multiple Listing Service. Well, that may be cheap...but is it worth it to pay someone hundreds of dollars for what is essentially data entry which takes maybe half an hour? With the challenges in the market now you need to know the answers to some of these questions>

1. Can you guarantee my home will have great exposure on the Internet where 87% of all buyers will be looking first?

2. Are you professionally certified to market my home utilizing the latest technology in addition to traditional methods of advertising?

3. Will you keep me up to date about the process via e-mail or whatever method I choose & give me updates about exactly how many times my home is viewed on-line and by real estate agents?

4. Will you coordinate the financing process to ensure my potential buyer can actually get my house so I don't loose time and money in this process?

5. Will you give me a detailed analysis of exactly what is going on in my community as well as a comparative real estate analysis of my home's worth?

6. Do you have a plan to stage and prepare my home so it appeals to buyers when they see it against a backdrop of hundreds of other homes competing for their attention?

These are just a few of the questions which are important to ask. The reason is that an excellent agent will usually Pay YOU more than you pay them. They are able to bring more solid offers to you more quickly because of their contacts and expertise.

You can find Commission rates all across the board in Grand Rapids, Michigan . Excellent Service is not necessarily the cheapest, but it will pay great dividends and is far more likely to result in getting your home Sold at a time when the vast majority of homes remain on the market with no takers.

If you'd like to explore our services or to see ALL the cost involved in Selling Your Grand Rapids, Michigan home, please visit our website and click on the "Let's Talk Commissions" Tab
Web Reference: http://www.auduhomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 6, 2008
Commissions are negotiable. Chris is very right you get what you pay for. You ask your listing agent for a reduction prepare for working a lot of phone calls!

I am not an Realtor and I sell many of my homes FSBO, it takes many phone calls to sell a home.
Mary, commission can certainly be negotiated. However, the question you may be asking is do you see the value in the agent you are interviewing. You certainly can get agents all across the board in regards to commissions, but if an agent is willing to cut commission quickly you might ask are they going to have the tough negotiating skills necessary in this brutal Michigan Market. That is something you will have to answer for yourself and what you are comfortable with. Hope this helps. If you have any further questions don't hesitate to contact me. No matter what you pay I would suggest getting an agent that you feel will fight hard for you! Best Wishes!
Web Reference: http://www.gomelinda.com/
Mary, Real Estate Commission are negotiable and it just depends on the kind of serve you want. :)